German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by stones. They wanted a nice, well-cared for dog, and took it.

This dog has a sunscreen over its roomy kennel. It has a house for shelter. The family loves the dog, they just do not keep it inside all the time.

I hope the cops catch these idiots and charge them with grand theft. They are felons, criminals. I don't care what they think.

My guess is that whoever is calling AC on these people might be the ones that stole their dog. I would start there, particularly if there is a repeated complaint-ant.

There is NEVER a good reason to go outside of the law and steal an animal. If you do not like chains, do something to change the law, but do not go and take a dog off their chain, it is a good way to get bit. If you do not like outdoor dogs, than try to get an ordinance passed. Educate people. Try a bring the dog in, campaign. But stealing dogs should be a felony regardless to the monetary value of the animal.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by stones. They wanted a nice, well-cared for dog, and took it.

This dog has a sunscreen over its roomy kennel. It has a house for shelter. The family loves the dog, they just do not keep it inside all the time.

I hope the cops catch these idiots and charge them with grand theft. They are felons, criminals. I don't care what they think.

My guess is that whoever is calling AC on these people might be the ones that stole their dog. I would start there, particularly if there is a repeated complaint-ant.

There is NEVER a good reason to go outside of the law and steal an animal. If you do not like chains, do something to change the law, but do not go and take a dog off their chain, it is a good way to get bit. If you do not like outdoor dogs, than try to get an ordinance passed. Educate people. Try a bring the dog in, campaign. But stealing dogs should be a felony regardless to the monetary value of the animal.
I wholeheartedly agree with Selzer on this one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think they stole the dog because they wanted one, but rather because they felt sorry for a dog that they viewed as being neglected...as indicated by their note. There is a difference.

IMO, and I'm sure you will disagree with this...a person has no business purchasing a dog if they are going to keep it outside, alone, 23+ hours a day. I'm not saying they had a right to steal the dog, but I can see where there head is at...

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I don't think they stole the dog because they wanted one, but rather because they felt sorry for a dog that they viewed as being neglected...as indicated by their note. There is a difference.

IMO, and I'm sure you will disagree with this...a person has no business purchasing a dog if they are going to keep it outside, alone, 23+ hours a day. I'm not saying they had a right to steal the dog, but I can see where there head is at...
Do we actually know if the dog was kept in there for 23 + hours a day?

The dog looks well cared for. Animal Control controlled them three times in two years and said no issues whatsoever. The dog does not look neglected at all. He looks clean, well fed and happy.

So jumping to assumptions just because the dog is an outside dog makes me crazy.

Except for 5 males, all our dogs have been outside dogs. If I could, I would have outdoor kennels myself as well and they'd be both, in and outdoor dogs. Just because you drive by a certain time of the day and see the dogs in their kennels and you jump to the conclusion that they spend all day, every day, out there in a kennel doesn't mean that that is actually the case.

And how is it possible that a large, spacy outdoor kennel is so horrible but people keep their dogs in a 36 inch crate for 8+ hours a day.... can somebody please tell me the logic behind that?

I'd much rather have my dogs outside, in a spacy kennel than having them cramped in a **** crate all day long, every day of the week to "keep them safe". :mad:

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Well, outside right now my dogs are getting swarmed by deerflies. They don't have that problem in the house. Though I don't crate them when I'm gone either.
I think the person that stole the dog should be prosecuted.
I know of someone here on the boards that has to endure seeing her next door neighbors dobe suffer in extreme cold/heat, drink water from the air conditioner condensation and seldom gets fed. But when AC has visited, the dog has water and they won't do anything about the neglect. This person on the board does take it upon herself to give the dog water and probably food, as she hates to see the dog suffer.
If she could, I'm sure she'd have the dobe rehomed in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It drives me crazy when dog owners think that providing a dog with sufficient food and water is enough. What about love?

Is it enough to provide a child with good living conditions, food, and water...or should more be provided? It is the same with our pets.

Do we actually know if the dog was kept in there for 23 + hours a day?

The dog looks well cared for. Animal Control controlled them three times in two years and said no issues whatsoever. The dog does not look neglected at all. He looks clean, well fed and happy.

So jumping to assumptions just because the dog is an outside dog makes me crazy.

Except for 5 males, all our dogs have been outside dogs. If I could, I would have outdoor kennels myself as well and they'd be both, in and outdoor dogs. Just because you drive by a certain time of the day and see the dogs in their kennels and you jump to the conclusion that they spend all day, every day, out there in a kennel doesn't mean that that is actually the case.

And how is it possible that a large, spacy outdoor kennel is so horrible but people keep their dogs in a 36 inch crate for 8+ hours a day.... can somebody please tell me the logic behind that?

I'd much rather have my dogs outside, in a spacy kennel than having them cramped in a **** crate all day long, every day of the week to "keep them safe". :mad:

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
It drives me crazy when dog owners think that providing a dog with sufficient food and water is enough. What about love?

Is it enough to provide a child with good living conditions, food, and water...or should more be provided? It is the same with our pets.
WHO says that the dogs are only provided with water and food? Just because a dog lives outdoors doesn't mean they are not loved.

I know outdoor dogs that are better cared for, trained, exercised and yes, LOVED, than a lot of miserable, fat, overfed so called "Loved" dogs living inside with no purpose in life.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IMO, if a person loves their dog, they will find a place for it in their house. They will not force it to be exposed to the elements, isolated from their "pack."

I don't think there are many dogs that would prefer being left in a kennel at night instead of inside the house...and because of this, if one cannot allow their pet to live in the house, they have no business buying one in the first place.

WHO says that the dogs are only provided with water and food? Just because a dog lives outdoors doesn't mean they are not loved.

I know outdoor dogs that are better cared for, trained, exercised and yes, LOVED, than a lot of miserable, fat, overfed so called "Loved" dogs living inside with no purpose in life.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

HOW do you know that the dog was not loved? You DON'T you only assume because the dog is outside. My uncles had hunting dogs, they were never in the home, they were outside in kennels. They were hunting dogs, and they did go hunting with them (birds/racoons/etc) and they were better cared for than a lot of dogs that are "inside" dogs.

Gotta say I agree with selzer and mrs.k, those people need to be caught and charged. The only place their head was in was their own selfish tendencies and assumptions.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Many of the Northern breeds are not real pack oriented and do prefer to be outside(especially when it is cooler out)
They aren't into their people like a GSD is. My dogs prefer to be where I am, out or in....and that is typical for the breed.
But not all are so into their people.
If the dog has shelter, is well taken care of(meaning both physical and mental stimulation) then outside more often should be fine, some dogs know no difference.
But personally, I'd never have a kennel dog or outside dog. I have them for companionship.

A dog on a chain is a different story, and I don't believe any dog regardless of the situation belongs on a chain. They do deserve better.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
IMO, if a person loves their dog, they will find a place for it in their house. They will not force it to be exposed to the elements, isolated from their "pack."

I don't think there are many dogs that would prefer being left in a kennel at night instead of inside the house...and because of this, if one cannot allow their pet to live in the house, they have no business buying one in the first place.

I want you to PROVE to me that this dog was...

Outside all the time
Not loved
Not part of the "pack".

·
Banned
3,612 Posts

Unfair question/logic. Two of mine are crated four days per week for about 8 hours, broken up in the middle.

They're safe there. The temperature is moderated. No one will steal them or let them loose or poison them.

Most importantly, when I come home, they are out of the crate. I don't believe the person in this article just uses this space when absent. She even says in the article, "I looked out the back window and he wasn't there." (paraphrased). She didn't say, "I got home from work to get him out and he was gone."

No need to take it personal and slam the craters. ("Spacy outdoor kennel vs **** cramped crate)

The letter is well written and I believe, comes from someone who honestly cares.

I doubt they took the dog without knowing the living habits of the dog. I seriously doubt they drove by once, saw an outdoor dog and ran home to write a well crafted letter and rushed back to steal it.

It surely took more time than that. Shelter does seem sufficient, but again, I'd bet the dog was in that shelter far too long and in all conditions. Someone was paying attention.

In spite of all of that, no one had the "right" to steal the dog. Theft is theft.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts

:help:

Oh good grief. Than mankind has no business in owning horses either, or do you think they should live in the house too because they are just as much pack animals as dogs.

If a German Shepherd can't withstand the elements than there is something wrong. As a matter of fact I believe that most of the Allergies the breed has is manmade. We coddle them, humanize them and then we wonder why we have the problems we have.

German Shepherds are working dogs with a double layered coat which is there for them to withstand the elements. As a matter of fact, show me one Shepherd that doesn't prefer outside when it's cold. I have yet to see one.

Also, if they are out there over night, what's wrong with that? It gives them a break from all the craziness in the household and yes, dogs do want to be alone too.

Crazy world

Crate Training 8 + hours a day
= Oh you are sooo responsible and keep your poor baby safe from all those evil things in the world

Outdoor Kennel = how dare you keep your dog outside. you have no business in owning a dog you irresponsible dog hater

Oh the irony...

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Crate Training 8 + hours a day = Oh you are sooo responsible and keep your poor baby safe from all those evil things in the world

Outdoor Kennel = how dare you keep your dog outside. you have no business in owning a dog you irresponsible dog hater

Oh the irony...
This is offensive.

This is not a pro/anti crate issue.

You have the right to decide the best for YOUR dogs, as I do mine. I choose to crate. Last several days here have been high 90's and high humidity. No way in hades would I let my dog be outside all day in those temps.

I guess I coddle!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure owners who keep their dogs outside feel something called cognitive dissonance...a sense of anxiety or guilt that what they are doing to their pet is wrong. In order to control these feelings of guilt, they attempt to justify their decision by thinking about how happy and well cared for their pets are and how there are some other dogs in a worse position than their pet...

When they interact with their neglected pets, they see the dog smiling and tail wagging, and they probably assume that the dog is ALWAYS this happy, even though the pet only experiences this brief happiness when they are in close proximity to their owner. The owner doesn't acknowledge the hours that the dog is left outside in solitary confinement, staring in the distance, disconnected from those who claim to love them. Soon the owner wholly convinces themselves that the dog is happy with its current station in life, ignoring how much happier the dog would be if it had much more access to the family via living indoors.

At the end of the day, it is more likely that their pets would be MUCH HAPPIER if they lived inside with the rest of the family.

HOW do you know that the dog was not loved? You DON'T you only assume because the dog is outside. My uncles had hunting dogs, they were never in the home, they were outside in kennels. They were hunting dogs, and they did go hunting with them (birds/racoons/etc) and they were better cared for than a lot of dogs that are "inside" dogs.

Gotta say I agree with selzer and mrs.k, those people need to be caught and charged. The only place their head was in was their own selfish tendencies and assumptions.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
...a person has no business purchasing a dog if they are going to keep it outside, alone, 23+ hours a day.
I have an LGD (livestock guardian dog). He lives outside 24/7, with the goats and poultry. That is his job, to protect them from predators, and he can't do it if he's inside the house.

I dare someone to steal him because they felt "sorry" for him being an outside dog. His last owner tried to make a housedog out of him, and he chewed through doors and windows trying to get out. These dogs are not meant to be confined to the indoors.

He is loved, cared for, and happy at our farm.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts