German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who compete with your dogs, honestly how competitive are you and how much does winning really mean to you? I don't compete with my dogs, but do with horses and while I like to win just like anyone else, I am not disappointed in the animal.

If you don't win are you disappointed in the animal or yourself or are you a graceful 'loser' ( for lack of a better word). I think healthy competition is good, but some people take it too far.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
In flyball and agility I'm pretty competitive. I want to not only Q but place in my classes. Nikon's about as good as he will ever be in flyball so I've got a new dog with breed type and size much more conducive to being faster (though in his division, Nikon's team won the national qualifier and I'm told we have a chance to win the division at nationals next month). I no longer do Rally but when I did, I was looking for blue ribbons there as well. Dock diving and lure coursing we don't really train for, just go out and do them "for fun". In Schutzhund, it really depends on the dog. I know Nikon is capable of V score tracking so that's what I'm training for and I don't want to trial him if I have not given him enough time to prepare. In obedience I am looking to get around 90 points next time, I know we can do that. Overall I am looking for high G, low SG performance, I believe that is indicative of the dog I have performing very well and respectably. I do not need to go on to nationals and win big in IPO/Schutzhund, my dog is not a "points dog" and I do not have the same level of commitment to IPO training as those that are V in every phase at high level trials.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Wanted to add that by being competitive in agility, I don't mean really pushing the dog. I mean I don't enter trials until I feel we can Q and compete for placements. I was encouraged to enter my dog in a trial this weekend but decided to wait. I think he would have Q'd but I don't like going into a sport like agility and not being confident in myself and my handling. SchH/IPO is a bit different because most people are training for a least a year, maybe two, and you know *exactly* what is expected because the routine is the same every time. We started agility when Nikon was young but then stopped for three years and just got started again two months ago. I'm still not confident enough in my handling and get ahead of myself on the course which throws him off. There are some folks that are so competitive they push their dogs too hard, training things too young or pushing too fast. Nikon is almost 5 and we still go back and work basic jumping technique and safe contacts.

As far as being competitive in flyball, I don't mean I'm going to fly out and train with the world record teams, but I mean I am committed to training every week with my team, working drills at home, and traveling to tournaments once a month. I want to put my dogs in national qualifier events and run at nationals, even if we aren't in the top divisions. And even if my dog's speed is not super fast, you and ALWAYS work on your passes and starts! Every dog can get a perfect start or perfect passes but it takes a lot of experience for the handler on the starts and the dog needs to be consistent and confident in his passes.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I am very competitive. That means understanding who my dog is, what her strengths and weaknesses are, and then being the best trainer I can be for her. I wait to compete when I'm happy with where we are in the dog's training, not because of some timeline. And in the end, I am never disappointed with my dog.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm pretty competitive. I like to win, and I train with the expectation that we can. Also, I can't get interested in any sport where we don't have the potential to at least maybe hit the top, which is why Pongu and I are currently a one-sport team.

It's not realistic for me to expect to land in the ribbons with every run, given that Pongu has a lot of mental problems and we're in a pretty competitive region. We're often up against 30 to 50+ other teams at a Rally trial, and some of those teams have been doing this for many years, whereas Pongu and I have been on the circuit for less than a year and have Issues. Consequently, placing in the ribbons can be tough at the bigger trials! But honestly, if we don't break about 205 (out of a possible 210) on a qualifying run these days, I consider it a bad run... and that number is likely to creep higher as we smooth out our remaining bobbles.

Occasionally I am disappointed in Pongu when his anxiety causes him to melt down and NQ an exercise that I know he can do perfectly at home. I'll admit that -- and I'll further admit that it's a big reason I'm looking for a sane dog as my next partner. But it doesn't happen often. Much more often I'm incredibly proud that Pongu's not only able to compete, but can actually win, given that when we started nobody thought he'd ever trial at all.

I'm never sad or envious when we get beaten by a better team. There are some amazing teams out there, and watching their joyous cooperation is never anything but an inspiration to work harder so that we, too, can share that incredible bond. :)

·
Registered
27,278 Posts
I'm only competitive in the sense that I want to represent my dogs breeder and the people I train with in a positive way. It isn't about ME, but about my dog and our journey.
That said, I only have a BH on my dog because I do want to represent in the best light possible. I have goals, though life seems to get in the way more often than not(this weekend as an example!)
I don't train in multiple venues. If I were younger, I'd be all about it, but finances, family and time limit what I do.
I'm not competitive with other teams but do have a work ethic and standard within my own character to stay true to.

·
Registered
658 Posts
It depends on the sport, Mondioring I'm not that competitive with.

Dock jumping I can get a bit competitive with, but it's more so a competition with myself and how much I can bring out of Dakota. But I do get down when we get beat sometimes, although there's never any hard feelings. It's a very friendly sport :)

I'd imagine if I got into a sport like Flyball I'd become pretty competitive though.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm kind of all over the place lol. I have a very competitive personality, but I try really hard to keep that in check in dogs sports and try very hard to keep it fun for me and my dog. That being said I can be pretty hard on myself if I don't handle a course well or have bad passes or starts in flyball. The main reason I love agility is that our performance is based mostly on my performance. My dog always gives me 100%, the rest is up to my training and handling. If I don't win I am generally a bit dissappointed in myself but look at the good things my dog did while competing and try my best to learn from my mistakes.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Put it this way:

I trialed (agility, of course) with Pimg today and had a phenomenal trial. She earned four more Q's, and four 1st places in her class. She also earned three more Level 4 titles and is two runs (1 Snooker, 1 Jackpot) away from clearing Level 4 completely. This trial was on dirt; Pimg's fastest velocity was 4.613 yards/sec with an overall average of 4.413yps.

She was also:
-First place in entire trial in Standard this morning
-First place in entire trial in Colors this morning
-First place in entire trial in Snooker this morning
-Fourth place in entire trial in Jumpers this morning

How competitive am I? Even though that's some pretty great results (if I do say so myself) I was pretty disappointed with myself that we didn't get first place in the trial on our Jumpers run. Are you kidding me? That would have been amazing!! I'd never be disappointed in Pimg though; man she's amazing!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Winning is nice but me and my dogs are really competing against ourselves... so in terms of winning we are not at all competitive (i.e. we will never make championships and probably never win our class).

In terms of me getting disappointed when we don't do as well as I know we can, then yes I am competitive. The sport is weight pull.

We'll see how competitive we get in flyball.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am very competitive but with a plan. Did our BH fall of 2012, IPO1 in 3 weeks
The BH and IPO1 will let me know what I need to work on give me insights into my dog and myself on the field. Will I win depends on the competition and what my dog and I bring to the table that day.
If I am against individuals that have gone to nationals or worlds probably not. I do not have their experience and or knowledge base. That being said I will certainly be looking at the differences in the marks. Do I expect my dog to perform to her best absolutely. Her areas of strength I expect to score High, skills I have just introduced her to we will see how well I communicate with her.

I will use the IPO1 IPO2 to fine tune our skill set. Watch out IPO3 that is where I expect to score high. I generally compete against myself and that way pressure is not really a factor.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Let's put it this way: When I was trialing Ilka, our worst ever placement (with a Q)was seventh in a class of seven in Rally Advanced. I was probably just as happy with that seventh place as I was when we actually had a higher score than another dog (which did happen on occasion).

Maybe if I had gotten into competition earlier, and/or had a dog with a chance of being a high scoring dog, I'd feel different, but for me, the thrill is getting a Q. I have all of Ilka's obedience and rally ribbons, plus her CA ribbons framed and hanging on the wall, along with her certificates.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If I have a moderate success rate I tend to me much more amicable to good competition, because I figure one way or another its still fun. I'm LEAST competitive at sports where I win all the time without much undue effort, because I want to encourage others to continue to attempt to compete. I go balls-out when someone gets their wig in a twist and starts gloating or putting me down; then it is ON. I WILL make sure you get put in your place, even if it takes me years to get there! :p

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
I am very competitive, but I have been blessed with great dogs.

Keno placed with every leg of every title he got. Kizzy almost always placed in Rally, and she was Reserve HIT in herding at the 2002 GSDCA National. Tag was HIT at the St. Louis specialty one year. Jag has a bunch of placement ribbons in Rally (usually beat on time) and good scores in obedience.

Losing is not the end of the world, but winning beats losing every day!!!

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I am competitive against myself really. I like to do better than the last time.

We have a fun competition on my USAR team when doing FSA elements. We get bragging rights for being quickest in Directionals, agility and rubble. But it's fun. I never get truly upset about being slower than a teammate. But some may.

I am just now getting back in to dog sports, SchH specifically, and to be honest, I know my dogs limits. I know we are not working to win nationals. So I just want to be the best we can be. There is another pup in my training group, same age as mine, and I do find myself comparing the two. I hate it and have to talk myself out of being jealous or competing. I think it's human nature.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am not a competitive person at all but would love to get my dog involved in sports just for fun. Of course I'm not entirely sure if a show line can do agility but I can at least let her try. Right?

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
My American Show Line does agility.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Awesome. I plan on putting Sadie in agility training after she finishes puppy classes and some obedience. She's only 11 weeks old right now. She definitely needs a fun and challenging way to burn off some energy. : )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts