German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who has a soap making business. Yesterday we were talking and she offered to make some dog soap for me for free. I think it is so she can start making it and say someone with a dog uses it and likes it.

But I thought I would take advantage of her offer. What sorts of essential oils should I request? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
It may not smell real good but would a citronella one be good since summer and bugs are coming.One that would keep bugs and such away,I don't know what other things are good for that.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
<span style="color: #3333FF"> I am just getting into soapmaking. There are a few "recipes" for dog soap. Citronella is great for dogs and people. I would also suggest lavender and oatmeal. I make these for me...and they have skin soothing qualities.

A word of advice, she must research essential oils carefully,because some can be irritating...even though they smell nice.</span>

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I can't say that I have any advice but I just wanted to stop by and say that this is REALLY cool!! Let us know how the soap turn out... although, I think citronella is a **** good idea.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jazzstorm,

She does plenty of research. This is what their family does for a business.

OK, at this point I'm thinking cintronella, lavender, oatmeal, and a highly super-fatted soap.

What about tea tree? Overkill? Anyone else?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JerseyGSD--I'll let you know how I like it. I'm pretty excited. I will take several weeks to cure after she makes it, but it should be in time for flea and tick season.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I read that patchouli is a natural bug repellant, and IMO it smells a lot better than citronella. I think it's so cool that she's making soap just for the dogs!!!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
No tea tree! I'm allergic! Which is bad because almost every human cleansing product has tea tree oil in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts