German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I live at home with my mom still and I always stay in my room to do class work and such, with my door closed. I usually have Thor with me, and even though I keep him clean, he still makes my room always smell like dog. And because he is in here with me so much, it kinda lingers. Lol. Any ideas on helping keep this smell out? :p

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
open a window? let the air circulate. febreeze. odoban.

what does the dog eat? diet can play a bit part in that doggie smell. Especially lingering doggie smells.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Window has been working decently well so far! But its starting to linger more and more.
I currently have him eating Wilderness, switching him to Merrick's grain free soon. I have been under the impression low quality foods cause smell rather than high quality, is that true?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Window has been working decently well so far! But its starting to linger more and more.
I currently have him eating Wilderness, switching him to Merrick's grain free soon. I have been under the impression low quality foods cause smell rather than high quality, is that true?
Normally, though from what I have been told, Wilderness is sort of notorious for causing some strong doggy odor :p

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I would think it might be more what he's lying on than the dog itself sometimes. Does he have a bed? Do you have carpeting? Those things can soak up odors and over time they do eventually multiply (bacteria). You might want to work on any soft surfaces in the room he's in contact with .. or .. get a Scentsy! ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I would think it might be more what he's lying on than the dog itself sometimes. Does he have a bed? Do you have carpeting? Those things can soak up odors and over time they do eventually multiply (bacteria). You might want to work on any soft surfaces in the room he's in contact with .. or .. get a Scentsy! ;)
I agree.
A bath may also help for a little while, after you clean the dog smell out of everything.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts

yes. Bear in mind though that some foods are too rich which can play tricks on the dogs scent as well.

agree. I'm constantly washing the dogs bedding and making sure to add odoban to the wash. I usually run it through the washer a few times, once with vinegar and again with some odoban poured in. I also try to clean the carpets and rugs 1-2 times a month where the dogs spend a lot of their time laying.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
i look at all these answers, but the truth is soggy oder is a fact of life. we may be able lessen it, but it will always be there.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
GSDs shouldn't ever smell bad. IME, the only time they smell bad is when they haven't been dried properly and they get mildew in their coat. This happened to my pup, and that was a really gross stench. Could this be the issue?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Tried that. Too much dust.
You're just doing it wrong. Put a fan in the window pointing outside. Stand the dog in front of the fan. Don't beat them with your hands, use the backside of a rake and pat them down. The dust will get sucked outside.
:D;)

Or....wash bedding and carpeting often. Keep wet dogs off of carpeting and bedding. Food can play a part in odor, dogs on raw diets don't seem to have as much of that doggy smell.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
How often do you bathe him? You might want to try taking him to a professional groomer, they can usually do a more thorough job than is possible to do at home.

As far as I'm concerned, GSDs should not have a "doggy" odor if they are kept reasonably clean and brushed out. If there is a persistent odor, there may be an underlying problem. Then again, as a groomer, I'm around dirty dogs all day long so I don't notice doggy odor unless it is fairly strong.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! He doesn't have a very strong smell, he just leaves one behind when he is in my room. I think its because he lays down on the carpet in the same spots frequently. I keep him very clean, I brush him daily and he had a bath last week. I may just need to take him to a groomer and maintain him from there, lol.
Or, it may just be the fact that he lays on carpet for longgg periods of time. I might have to just get him a bed and see if that helps. And some febreeze or something. Lol.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Diet is likely the issue.

When we first got Lako, he STANK to high heaven! He was being fed Ol' Roy dog food, which is complete garbage.

We switched him to Fromm, a high quality kibble and now he smell almost sweet. It's a nice comforting smell.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
scarfish, as usual your attempt at humor isn't funny.

Maybe you should take that old advice, "if you don't have anything constructive to say, keep your mouth shut"

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! He doesn't have a very strong smell, he just leaves one behind when he is in my room. I think its because he lays down on the carpet in the same spots frequently. I keep him very clean, I brush him daily and he had a bath last week. I may just need to take him to a groomer and maintain him from there, lol.
Or, it may just be the fact that he lays on carpet for longgg periods of time. I might have to just get him a bed and see if that helps. And some febreeze or something. Lol.
Before we had all of our carpets ripped out LOL I used to take baking soda (1 - 1 1/2 cups) and add 2-3 drops of Lavender, Lemon and Wild Orange doTerra Essential oils, then mix it up with a fork until the oil drops are well blended. I sprinkle that onto the carpets and let sit for 30 minutes. Then vacuum up!

You also get an added scent boost as the oils diffuse through the vacuum and the carpets smell AMAZING for at least 4-5 days. So I would do it twice a week!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts