German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hoping for some good information...quick! I have an intact female GSD, 2 yrs. this month. I am dog sitting for my brother who has an intact female GSD, @10 months. He is dropping her off tonight and I will be watching her until Sunday. I also have 3 kids under the age of 10 in my house. Question is how to introduce them in a manner that they (hopefully) become friends. I am sure this isn't the first time I will be asked to dog sit and it would be nice if we can have doggie play dates whenever my brother & I get together. He is bringing his kennel and her food/water dishes. I was planning on rotating them when I feed them. I can rotate them the whole weekend or any amount of time, with the kennels next to each other. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
First question: How is your GSD with other dogs?

Second: How is your brother's GSD with other dogs?

Third: Has your children met your brother's dog?

Fourth: Is your brother's dog good with children?

As for the dogs meeting.. if both are well socialized and are fine with other dogs. I would leash the two before meeting. Let them meet in a non threatening environment.. Not sure how much time you have when he drops her off but if you have some take them on a short walk together and see how they behave.. If they are good then you can see how they play act on leash in the yard together. If all goes well then I would say it's safe for an off leash play in a fenced area with close watch. I wouldn't let them loose by themselves though until you are 100% sure that they are ok with eachother and that shouldn't be for a while. They are both female and unless one is clearly submissive, they could potentially battle out who's top dog. Though I suspect your older girl will "help" remind the little one who's boss. :)

As for the children, as long as your brother's dog isn't aggressive I would introduce them one at a time and let her approach them. Not sure how skittish she is with new people, but I know my new pup isn't a fan of new people approaching her. She likes to introduce herself not the other way around.

That's my advice :) hope it helps.. and if not, I hop[e someone else comes on that's more knowledgeable on the subject! Good luck!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I suggest that you walk your girl and have him meet you about a block away from your house with his dog on leash. Have them follow you guys a few feet away as you are walking and then slowly let them in front and you follow them. That will get the dogs used to each others scent without a face to face meeting too soon. After about 10 to 15 minutes of walking together you can head home and if they both seem relaxed, you can have them meet off leash in your yard. Be careful during feeding times and keep your girls toys and bones out of sight until they get to know each other better. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I will have them walk along with me when they first meet. He won't be coming over until about when it gets dark, so I may have to wait till my husband gets off work tomorrow before having them both leashed, and in the back yard as I won't be able to see them in the dark tonight.

I am not sure how my dog gets along with other dogs as I haven't had her around too many, though I have never thought her aggressive with other dogs. She plays quite well with our neighbors male dog, and I was watching her yesterday playing with the other neighbors dog through the fence, so I think she's pretty good with other dogs. I have had her for about 9 months, but she has always been around other dogs. My brother's dog is from the same lady I got my dog from, so I know his dog is used to other dogs as well (I wanted her brother so bad but my husband just would not give in!). His dog is not used to kids, but is overall a friendly dog, so I will have my kids somewhat ignore her. I think when my brother leaves, I will put his dog in her kennel for an hour, then rotate them every hour until bed. Their kennels will be side by side with each other. Meal time will be kept seperate along with bowls kept off the ground. Of course all bones/toys will be kept in each kennel and put back with each dog before the other comes out. We will then repeat this when I do not have another adult around.

I guess I am thinking of going very, very slow with them as my thought is to take my time...even a few visits, before expecting them to run and play with each other! They will both be spayed, mine by next month, so hopefully that will improve their chances of becoming good friends!

Thanks for the advice, it's very, very appreciated!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We met down the street from my house and almost immediately my dog started growling at my brother's dog. My dog, as much as I love her, is not a confident dog. I am not sure how she was treated her first year of life, though I know when she was with the lady I got her from, she was treated very well. However, I have always felt my dog is constantly worried that her place with me is not secure, that she is not confident that this is her forever home. This breed can bond so hard with their owner, that when they go to a new home..in my opinion..it can really mess them up and takes lots & lots of time for them to adjust. So, I will be calling the trainer and we will be working on some training to build her confidence up...because she isn't going anywhere, she is with me for the rest of her doggy days!

Anyways, so after the growling, which happened more then once...we went back to my house and kenneled my dog while we got my brother's dog settled in. His dog was kenneled all night, my dog had free reign though I am pretty sure she slept in her kennel the whole night which was side by side with the other dog's kennel.

This morning, I kenneled my dog so I could let my brother's dog out. She ate, did her business and after a while my husband and I took both dogs out in the back yard. They sniffed each other, sniffed each other's business and started chasing around each other...then my dog growled and I ended it. I kenneled my dog just to allow my brother's dog a little excercise as I left soon after that and his dog is kenneled while I am gone and I my dog gets free reign. Poor puppy though, she spent most of the time sitting in front of my front door waiting for my brother.

So, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't all roses either! Of course it doesn't help that my husband tells me to just let them in the backyard and figure it out and they will be fine. My response was I don't want Emergency Vet bills. I plan on rotating them and let my dog slowly get to know her.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
If it is only a week and you are already experiencing problems, I would kennel his dog with a couple of walks a day for exercise/potty. DO NOT LET THEM WORK IT OUT! It is not worth long-term harm to your dog or his. If I watch dogs for other people, they remain in their crates and are taken out the appropriate number of times for walks/playtime as their breed/age dictates. I don't bother introducing them to my dogs or trying to make friends. I also don't need to house train a new dog to my house if they are staying a week. If I were you, I would just wait the week out and not make a big issue out of them getting along.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
I would only suggest trying to "Get them to get along" because you seem to want to do this kind of thing more often. I think letting them get to know eachother slowly is a good idea. like qbchottu said.. DON'T let them work it out.. it's not worth it.

Question.. When she growls what exactly is she growling at? Just random or is it a territory thing? I the puppy "annoying" her and she doesn't want to play anymore?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She growls more out of territory I believe because the other dog is not doing anything for her to growl. I would like them to get along because I am sure there will be other times that my brother asks me to dog sit. I am the only one with a huge, fenced in yard that is not working full time. Also, when we get together for family events, it would be nice for the dogs to get together too.

Both dogs will be spayed within the next month, so I am not sure if that will help. I will take the suggestions of leaving his dog kenneled most of the time except for walks, eating & potty breaks. I will also let my kids play with her, she seems to enjoy them and my brother has a baby on the way. It is more important to me that my dog get used to my brother's dogs smells and views her as non-threatening. Maybe after some trainer time, we could get the dogs together with the trainer as well. However I will definitely be over cautious rather then under as I do not want any fighting at all! I will also have my husband walk my brother's dog on the opposite side of the street, or behind us a few feet.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Honestly the more they are around eachother the better. Not saying let them go off leash and all willy nilly! But just letting thme interact a little more each day.. under a controled environment. Titan Growled a lot at Athena when I got her. He didn't want her near him at all. But since she was there to stay he HAD to get a long with her I just made sure when they were together I was right there on top of them to control every move. If I wasn't she was crated. Also try reassuring your girl that she is still in charge (at least of the other dog) that this is her place. A little alone time with her or things like feeding her first, letting her out first, might reassure her of a few things.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Whitney! I had them both outside for a few minutes, with mine on leash as I feel she would be the one to start something. It actually went well, no growling. My brother's puppy obviously would like to play, but I am not sure mine is so down for it. They have both been in their kennels, side by side, chomping on some rib bones. I will try more interaction when my husband is home and I can have them both on leash, and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So we went out to dinner tonight, gone for about 1.5 hours. When we left, my brother's dog was in her kennel, blankets covering the whole kennel. When we got home and went to unlock our door, we had TWO dogs greeting us instead of one. Somehow, she got out of her kennel. I have no idea how. Bones were in both kennels...yet neither dog is bleeding or has marks on them. I see no blood around the house either. They both seem a little worn out, but I am not sensing any hostility between the two. I wouldn't say they are fast friends, they are both laying down in different areas. But they aren't trying to attack each other either. Really, really wish I had been a fly on the wall to watch 1. how the stinker got out of her kennel & 2. how they reacted to each other while we were gone. All I can say is Thank GOD they are ok because I really am aware of how the outcome could have been bad. I will still constantly watch them and rotate them so they can each have some alone time, but I guess I will give them some time to be around each other too. Very, very puzzled how she got out as I am in the habit of making sure a kennel is securely shut every time I close it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
How strange she got out. It's wonderful that they seem to be getting along though. It seems like you can let them both loose in the house now as long as you're keeping an eye on them. Hopefully they'll start playing together.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
So we went out to dinner tonight, gone for about 1.5 hours. When we left, my brother's dog was in her kennel, blankets covering the whole kennel. When we got home and went to unlock our door, we had TWO dogs greeting us instead of one. Somehow, she got out of her kennel. I have no idea how. Bones were in both kennels...yet neither dog is bleeding or has marks on them. I see no blood around the house either. They both seem a little worn out, but I am not sensing any hostility between the two. I wouldn't say they are fast friends, they are both laying down in different areas. But they aren't trying to attack each other either. Really, really wish I had been a fly on the wall to watch 1. how the stinker got out of her kennel & 2. how they reacted to each other while we were gone. All I can say is Thank GOD they are ok because I really am aware of how the outcome could have been bad. I will still constantly watch them and rotate them so they can each have some alone time, but I guess I will give them some time to be around each other too. Very, very puzzled how she got out as I am in the habit of making sure a kennel is securely shut every time I close it.
That makes me smile! I wouldn't say you're in the clear to leave them completely unattended but definitely almost there. Strange how things happen. Apparently someone was like "ok.. let's just be friends and I'll get you out of there.." Hehe :) LOVE the updates! keep them coming!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They PLAYED together last night! I took them both out and they started chasing each other around my back yard, tails wagging. It was freezing out, so I brought them in got a sweatshirt on, and the hubby and I took them back out with a glass of wine and watched them play. It was one of the most relaxing, enjoyable thing I have watched in a long, long time. These beautiful dogs, who look so much a like, running and playing. I kenneled my brother's dog during the night. I put her outside this morning to keep them seperated while feeding them...then let her back in and they have been playing! I definitely won't let them play together without watching as I am aware that even two best friends can sometimes turn on each other. Now, if only I can figure out why my house smells like pee.....

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Hmmm... did the little one escape from your view and "hide" it somewhere?? LOL. or maybe the puppy peed in the kennel on accident? Those are my 2 guesses!!

Oh and just LOVE watching my 2 play as well.. granted they are 2 different breeds.. but Titan LOVES Athena and will just plop down on the ground to let her pounce on him! It is the cutest thing ever! It entertains me to just sit there (drink wine as well) and watch them play I love it!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was nice and wet, so it was from this morning. Thankfully the bed is washable..and good old water/vinegar helps too! I am just glad I found it before my husband came home and smelled it. I am really, really hoping he will let me take one more dog!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts