German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I got through half of it. I don't find it funny at all. People leave their improperly trained dogs out and then berate them for chewing on stuff. The dogs are showing signs of avoidance and stress, and some are cowering. They have no clue what they are being admonished for. All they know is that their person is really upset with them.

I use my voice to give a correction. Training requires properly timed feedback, rewards and corrections, to get a desired behavior, and to distinguish undesireable behaviors. If my dog cowered and showed their belly, that would make me feel ashamed and tell me that I was way over board.

I see no humor in making fun of dogs at the expense of dogs. The misbehavior is due to poor management and training on the part of the owners. Shaming the dogs is compounding their failure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I see that perspective. I don't do anything that is done in the video, and I was just trying to lighten the mood on things.

Some of it ridiculous...I didn't watch all of it either...

sorry..

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Some people just need to lighten up. I can see why alot of people left this forum and went to others places after newer people joined. sheesh.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Very funny. I wish I would have thought if it years ago with my last boy Ike. The amount if crud that dog destroyed!!!! Best dog ever.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Some people just need to lighten up. I can see why alot of people left this forum and went to others places after newer people joined. sheesh.
You're right, especially those people who criticise other people by saying they are the reason people leave the forum. It is hard to point the finger without implicating yourself, really.

We are all newer people to some folks, but my girls are eight and I joined before they were born, so I have seen a lot of folks come and go. Lived through the ownership changes, and the politics threads, and all of that. If people are going to go because I find a video not funny. Then go.

And it is hard to draw attention to anything that is not popular without getting people to say you have to lighten up.

I got more crap for discussing the danger of balloons when someone posted a vid with their dog playing with a balloon. Not everyone knows that balloons kill kids. I know someone who's niece died that way. But I should lighten up and not let anyone know that is dangerous. And the folks that bring up the dangers of laser pointers -- lighten up, don't let people know what might happen. It's funny! Good grief.

Yep, if you post an opinion about something not being funny and why, you will be told that you are the reason people leave.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think they are funny. In most of them the person is talking normal to the dog. I'm pretty sure most dogs in this video know why they are in trouble.

I had a boxer who when we weren't home would sneak up on our couch, a big no no. As soon as we would walk in the door he would look at us with this guilty look and then look at the couch. I would go over and feel the couch and sure enough it would be warm where he had been sitting. If he hadn't been on the couch he would act normal. He always told on himself. I never got on to him but it always made me laugh.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Selzer I'm sorry you had that experience with balloons, and I'm not going to leave over some small matter of the video being 'shameful'.

I posted it because it was amusing, and because in a way it reminded me of my old girl Klondike.

I had the same experiences with her as OUbrat had with his/her dog. I would come home and sometimes she'd lower her ears and give a guilty look, sometimes her tail would go down and close to her. I knew then something was up. It would be random things like me leaving something on the kitchen table like a packet of ramen or bread and she'd get into it. I wouldn't yell at her, just give her a disappointed look. Really it was all my fault for not putting it away.

Dogs are opportunistic so they're bound to get in trouble if you don't set them up for success right from the geck-o..:3

Thank you all who found it amusing, I did truly feel sorry for those ones who seemed very upset. I think just a look or just one or two times of say 'what did you do' would have saficed for the dog, but eh, people will be people XD

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only watched a few, but I didnt see any harsh reprimands. I seriously doubt any of these dogs are scarred from their owners antics, or embarrased at being put on youtube...

My older dog is 99.9% saint and smart as heck. The ONLY thing she ever does wrong is get mad if she knows we are outside talking to neighbors without her. This is what we sometimes come inside to find-
1386943171637.jpg

Now, she looks guilty before a word is ever spoken. I rarely get "mad", because its the only bad habit she has and if I'd remember to shut the kitchen gate it would solve the problem. The only time I ever raised my voice is when she pulled my $100 casserole dish off in the floor and broke, in the 2 minutes it took me to run out to the car. And she looked apropriately ashamed befored I even saw it :D

If that makes me a bad dog owner, so be it. Luna is a happy, awesome dog so apparently she hasn't noticed....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You're right, especially those people who criticise other people by saying they are the reason people leave the forum. It is hard to point the finger without implicating yourself, really.

We are all newer people to some folks, but my girls are eight and I joined before they were born, so I have seen a lot of folks come and go. Lived through the ownership changes, and the politics threads, and all of that. If people are going to go because I find a video not funny. Then go.

And it is hard to draw attention to anything that is not popular without getting people to say you have to lighten up.

I got more crap for discussing the danger of balloons when someone posted a vid with their dog playing with a balloon. Not everyone knows that balloons kill kids. I know someone who's niece died that way. But I should lighten up and not let anyone know that is dangerous. And the folks that bring up the dangers of laser pointers -- lighten up, don't let people know what might happen. It's funny! Good grief.

Yep, if you post an opinion about something not being funny and why, you will be told that you are the reason people leave.

It was just a video and i didnt see any abuse in it. Some dogs are just very soft dogs you can raise your voice an octave and they submit. Im sure out of millions of dogs it was easy to find a few that were like that to put in a video.
i didnt see any cause for you to be so harsh to the poster or put down the video. He or she was just trying to have a little fun.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Everyone has a right to their opinion and to express it in an appropriate manner. She didn't say the OP was a bad pet owner, she commented on the video itself. Saying that comments like hers were the reason people left was a lot harsher than anything that had been posted. There's nothing wrong with pointing out some things that bothered her .. just like there's nothing wrong with your thinking it was a funny look at a small snippet of a dog's day.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Everyone has a right to their opinion and to express it in an appropriate manner. She didn't say the OP was a bad pet owner, she commented on the video itself. Saying that comments like hers were the reason people left was a lot harsher than anything that had been posted. There's nothing wrong with pointing out some things that bothered her .. just like there's nothing wrong with your thinking it was a funny look at a small snippet of a dog's day.

Excellently said.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I haven't watched the video but I have come across the odd picture I found very funny. Dogs don't know shame, that's a human emotion we put on them.

Here is a pic that was sent to me that I found ridiculously funny....to the point I had tears from laughing. I had to edit a word in the pic but you should be able to figure it out.

This is the internet and for the most part the people here are not important to me, therefore their opinions don't hurt my feelings as that is reserved for those I love and are an important part of my life. Take it all with a grain of salt and move on.

There ARE a couple of people here that are important to me and I have developed wonderful friendships with....hugs!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I should just give this up as a bad job, but I am going to just say that it's a darn good thing that dogs understand us a whole lot better (at least with relevance to themselves) than we understand them, and that most are resilient enough to survive the consequences of our failures.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
The OP meant no harm and was sharing sonething they found amusing. Humour to one is not to others. I feel badly that he/she is most likely now feeling embarrassed for finding the video funny as LOTS of others will as well. They may not share that now out of worry they will be criticized.

Lets not dig so deeply into everything and pick it apart as it may make new people here afraid to post.

Rest assured my job comes with a horrid sense of humour that would have most outside of my profression horrified. Its a survival technique or at least I claim it to be.
MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE...

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
To repeat Rocket Dog....Excellently said!

The poster should not feel bad for finding something funny. No one else should feel bad for having a difference of opinion. I seriously doubt either feel badly, or that they will be leaving over something so silly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts