German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: It is very wierd. For all of the 5 years of his life he has laid on the carpet in the middle of the floor, or on the mat by the door. In the last two days he is seeking out odd spots like the hardwood floor which edges the carpet. I have even moved some things to allow him to fully lie on the hardwood. He does not appear to have a fever, appetite, stools, activity level all unchanged.

Another issue which we have been watching is two lumps. They appeared around Christmas - one under his day collar and one on his haunches. We decided to keep an eye on them and they remain unchanged.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
31,703 Posts
I would get those lumps checked out. Just because you don't see a change on the outside, doesn't mean something couldn't be growing on the inside.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
:help: It is very wierd. For all of the 5 years of his life he has laid on the carpet in the middle of the floor, or on the mat by the door. In the last two days he is seeking out odd spots like the hardwood floor which edges the carpet. I have even moved some things to allow him to fully lie on the hardwood. He does not appear to have a fever, appetite, stools, activity level all unchanged.

Another issue which we have been watching is two lumps. They appeared around Christmas - one under his day collar and one on his haunches. We decided to keep an eye on them and they remain unchanged.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Is it getting hot outside? My dogs like hardwood, tile and anyplace cool they can find during the summer.

For sure get the lumps checked out!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Other than the heat that was mentioned by shepherdmom, the only other time my dog did this was when she was dying of cancer. But since appetite has not changed, I doubt if that is it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
It is because he is warm. Fiona will lay outside on the concrete especially when cold outside. Remember their normal temp is higher than ours.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We still have lots of snow on the ground so while spring is expected SOME DAY, it certainly is not here yet. The house is no warmer or cooler than it was all winter. He blew his coat about a month ago and we keep him quite well brushed (I'm not saying perfectly!!). This remains odd behaviour.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I can always gauge the season by where my dog lies. In the winter/cool weather, he is either up on the couch or on the carpet by my feet. As soon as it starts to warm a little, he moves to the tile at the edge of the carpet. Is he moving there because the heat comes on perhaps and he is getting a bit warm?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Is he taking any medications like pred, thyroid supplement? Is he panting more than usual? If he were mine I'd have the lumps checked by the vet and also attempt to rule out a problem that might cause him to prefer laying on a cooler surface.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts