German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

-I know nothing about rescues/shelters I will say that upfront.

we have wildlife sanctuaries. Why not dog sanctuaries?

Can't some wealthy person start one. ACSPA? Humane Society? Someone?

I mean there are so many kill shelters. how come we can't have a huge chunk of land that all these dogs can call a forever home. (with an indoor section of course)

I know they wouldn't get the one on one love of a family, but they would certainly have companionship among fellow dogs. they could LIVE most importantly.

So why not? a non-profit? some celebrities who love animals could fund this and not even notice the millions they spent...

just curious... it's a thought from left field I know. this must be my curiousity day (other thread on weight)

thanks for any input

·
Registered
906 Posts
If I won the lottery tomorrow...thats exactley what I would do :) Thats been a dream of mine forever!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) lesley, i would too! lets got buy some tickets

onyx girl - awesome!!!!! thanks for the link! they have around 1700 dogs there on any given day! that is amazing. very very cool. so my question wasn't that crazy.

so why not more of these places instead of kill shelters? im about to go back to the link and read more.

knowing this place exists helps to cope with all the sad threads about dogs being pts

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
If you do a search...there are alot of dog sanctuaries...cat sanctuaries....

They are a HUGE committment... take alot of money..donations...dedicated workers/volunteers...

Sadly there have been alot of sanctuaries that turned into places of horror due to lack of funds/donations, lack of volunteers, lack of the ability to say no......and I'm sure mental illness.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
so why not more of these places instead of kill shelters? im about to go back to the link and read more.
Politics :)

If you want to read up on the No-Kill movement and why No-Kill has not been embraced as widely as one would expect, Nathon Winograd's blog and books are a must read!

Nathan J Winograd

Also: No Kill Advocacy Home Page

...places of horror due to lack of funds/donations, lack of volunteers, lack of the ability to say no......and I'm sure mental illness.
That describes most high kill shelters.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Companion Animals in CT is getting geared up to do this in CT..A generous donater, either donated or sold cheaply, a huge chunk of property, they are in the works to set something up like Best Friends in Utah..I think it's a good thing:)

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Yes..they are a great thing when done correctly :)

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Actually this is a great topic! Good to know about the one coming to CT at some time. If I hit the lottery I am building one in NH, LOL!! Maybe we should pool together for tickets for our cause!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Definitely :)
I always said...if I won the lottery......it would be my dream too!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Actually this is a great topic! Good to know about the one coming to CT at some time. If I hit the lottery I am building one in NH, LOL!! Maybe we should pool together for tickets for our cause!

I'll buy some tickets in Florida!! lol :)

·
Super Moderator
32,427 Posts
Best Friends is great, it's been around since the early 80's and is absolutely HUGE! Angel Canyon is 33,000 acres, and at any one time there are between 1500 and 2000 animals - cats, dogs, horses, pigs, bunnies, birds, pretty much everything. Once they take in an animal they commit to it for life, (and they accept the hardest cases, both behavioral and medical) no matter what it needs. They only euthanize when it's clearly in the best interest of the animal, due to suffering and poor quality of life. They have a state of the art veterinary clinic with 5 or 6 vets on staff, and an overall adoption rate of 75% - for dogs and cats it's higher, over 80%. Those that don't get adopted live out their lives at the sanctuary in comfort, cared for by a dedicated staff and volunteers.

I visited the sanctuary in May with my mom and sister. Here are some pictures: http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...riends-animal-sanctuary-any-dogtown-fans.html

We saw one of the Michael Vick pitties on the tour, don't remember which one it was, but the guide pointed it out as we drove by. Dogs are color coded with collars, so it's easy to see which ones can be safely handled by any volunteer, and which ones are only to be handled by staff. When we were at Dogtown we saw John Garcia and Michelle Besmehn, who were featured on the show. They are co-managers of dog care, and John is also a dog trainer, who spent a couple of weeks in Virginia assessing the Vick dogs, before bringing 22 of them back to Utah for rehabilitation. Initially, all of the dogs were deemed too dangerous and were to be euthanized. Best Friends, (along with several other organizations I believe), went to court to stop that from happening, and almost all of them were saved.

I'd highly recommend visiting and volunteering at Best Friends. It's such a cool place, and it's also in a gorgeous part of the country, near the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, and Bryce Canyon. You can do as much or as little as you want, and you can sign up to work with whatever kind of animal you choose. Both dogs and cats are taken for walks, dogs can be checked out for the day and taken on a hike, or overnight on a sleep over. A lot of the lodging in the area allow sleep over pets from Best Friends and also offer discounts to volunteers.

My sister was just there again for a week in August and will be going back for another in July. She's an artist in her spare time, and her paintings will be featured at Angel Village for about two months next summer: Sanctuary Stories | A talent for helping animals | Best Friends News & Top Stories

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
BOTH are awful places.

Is there a current news story related to the Devore shelter?
Yes it is.

The problem is not No-Kill shelters but the people involved.

Best Friends, (along with several other organizations I believe), went to court to stop that from happening, and almost all of them were saved.
HSUS was petitioning for them to be killed. Luckily, the judge allowed them to have a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts