German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 3 yr old dog is in heat. i was wondering if it was ok to still let her run around the park?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i wouldnt recommend it. thats asking for any intact males in the area to come and get her. When she's in heat its best to keep her confined at home and under complete and total supervision. males have been known to do ANYTHING to get to a female in heat. My pup is proof of that. Her dad chewed through a wall and a couch to get to her mom. I saw the couch. It wasnt pretty. you have to have a better safe than sorry attitude about it.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Letting a female in heat out loose in public is a disaster waiting to happen. Not only could she be bred, but in a public park environment, her status could also spark fights. Keep her at home please and keep her under your supervision when she is outside.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
A GSD broke into our house when I was a kid and mated with our miniature Schnauzer when she was in heat. She was "promised" to another MS...it was ugly. No, my parents did not let her have the pups from that encounter. Happily, she went on to have a litter of MS pups a year later.

Definitely keep your dog under supervision and do not underestimate the ability of a male to get to her. I had forgotten about that incident until just now. I think as kids, we were a little freaked out by the whole "in heat" thing to begin with. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im well aware of the dogs trying to mate. but what im asking is health wise, like will she be losing blood faster than usual while running?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Does it matter? I think the advice to keep her secluded from other dogs is probably more of a concern. If you are running with her for exercise (like logging miles), that wasn't clear. I'm sure one of the folks who breeds their dogs regularly can answer that. Try posting in the breeder section.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Some females while in heat can because rather loose (one of the reasons why they don't recommend doing OFA's while a female is in heat) and you could cause undue stress on her joints during this time. I am talking about running with you where the dog must come with you not just running around for fun where the dog has the option to stop if it feels the need. No, it won't make her bleed more or cause any damage in that way. As others have pointed out running with her in public is a good way to invite an unwanted breeding or stress to your dog and yourself trying to keep other dogs away.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You don't ever let an in-heat female dog run around off-leash in public.

That's inviting a disaster to happen. And you're probably going to get yourself into a fight if you bring her to a park. Most dog parks ban in-heat females, and with very good reason.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Some females while in heat can because rather loose (one of the reasons why they don't recommend doing OFA's while a female is in heat) and you could cause undue stress on her joints during this time. I am talking about running with you where the dog must come with you not just running around for fun where the dog has the option to stop if it feels the need. No, it won't make her bleed more or cause any damage in that way. As others have pointed out running with her in public is a good way to invite an unwanted breeding or stress to your dog and yourself trying to keep other dogs away.
^^^This.

Of course even while in heat, dogs need exercise, but I'd keep her at home and play ball or something like that for exercise. The hormones involved in the heat cycle do loosen up ligaments and so the joints could theoretically be more prone to injury, so keep that in mind.

Taking a bitch in heat out in public is just asking for trouble. Give her about three weeks off from the park and spare yourself the drama and headaches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts