German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We built Duke a dog run out back only for when we can't watch him 100% of the time or when we leave the house ( which would be mostly for dinner since I work at home ) and also when the kids are out playing he can be in his dog run so he's not running with them and knocking the kids over. ( I have a lot of children here and I just think its best for everyone ). I noticed yesterday that he's pulling the chain link with his teeth & unwinding it if that makes sense so its making a hole. At first I thought he was trying to get a toy out that was between the concrete & bark but now I think he's just being destructive. I'd say he does like his run because when we are out back with him and he's just playing he goes to lie down in there with the gate open.
Its a good sized run, it has a house, roof and concrete, lots of his toys and balls and food and water is kept in this area as well when we are outside.

Any thoughts on how to get away from this ? I "eh'd" him which is his " NO" so maybe that will do the trick but I can't believe this, we did this for everyone's safety & comfort and now I am just floored.

He is inside a lot and has an indoor crate where he sleeps at night, he's almost 1 yrs old. but I'd hate to have him in that crate all day when he can be with us.

Forgot to add in that my hubby fixed the area he chewed so its not a hole anymore but I just wonder when we come home if there will be another hole or even worse him hurting himself in the process.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Re: Dog Run & chewing / biting

I personally wouldn't put a dog on a run when no one is home.
A friend of mine lost his dog that was on a run (it ended up hanging himself how I don't know)
If you are home that is one thing and can keep an eye on him great.
If he is doing this when NO one is around it is that he is bored and or seperation aniexty??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

WOW yea that's kind of weird with the hanging, weird but not good.
I'd say maybe he's bored but I don't know how.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts

how could a dog get hung in a kennel???????

·
Registered
4,459 Posts

What is meant by the "dog run" in this post, I am not sure that I understand it. Is it a kennel run or a runner cable spanned off the ground to which the short cable is attached (with the dog at the end)? Or something else?

·
Registered
15,138 Posts

Gyggles1, what Gauge of chain link is the dog run. I have several different yards set up for my dogs. I have purchased several that were used, the gauge of the chain link varies a lot, one of the keneels I bought was very light stuff. The light gauge stuff works for some of my dogs, they don't jump on the fence nor do they chew on the fence. But I would never trust my dogs outside when I wasn't home.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

I never leave any of my dogs outside when I am not home. Even if I am going to the corner store.
You don't know what can happen in a split second now days.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Oh its not a lead, its a fenced in area to where he can't get out so I don't think its any different than being inside in the crate other than he can be outdoors and enjoy the fresh air instead.
Its a kennel / run area and plenty of room for him to move around and play, etc.

I am not sure what the guage of the chain link is, my hubby got it at home depot when he got all the other stuff for it, didn't realize there were different grades of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts