German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I live on a few acres which is not fenced so my dogs can only go outside when supervised.

I have a GSD and 2 spaniels who are left inside the house when we are out. This is no problem as they are well behaved.

However I would like to improve their standard of living by putting a new door and doggie door out the side of my house. I will fence off an area 30 ft wide by 40 ft long which the dogs can access as they wish from the house whether we are home or not.

One side of the run will be cedar fence (about 6ft high) so it will look nice from the front of the house. The remainder will be 6 ft high chain link.

Any suggestions on the fencing?

My main concern is ground cover. With an area that size (1,200 sqft) - do you think the dogs will destroy the grass or is it large enough for it to survive?

I have looked at 1/2"to 1" river stone. Looks nice but i wonder if the dogs will be able to run and play on it? does any one have any experience?

Would welcome any advise/suggestions on how you might proceed with this sort of dog run?

thanks for taking the time to read/post

Adrian

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I would make sure that it is dig proof underneath the fence and that the chain link has a rail at the bottom as well as the top (GSDs are great at shoving up fences). I think if you are giving over that part of the yard to the dogs, you might want to resign yourself to the fact that it won't stay pretty. You could maybe use the rock around the perimeter (patrol area), but I don't know that I would want it out in the main play area, but that's up to you.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
The grass will not last. They will trample it down. I would pour concrete because they can dig underneath the rock and get out that way.
Also, concrete will make it easier to keep the area clean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am planning to do much the same thing as OP with a fenced in area. For the surface of the play area I plan to use wood chips. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The grass will not last. They will trample it down. I would pour concrete because they can dig underneath the rock and get out that way.
Also, concrete will make it easier to keep the area clean.
Yeah concrete probably is best but its a little too permanent for my liking ad I'm guessing a slab that size would be pretty expensive !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I've always liked this type of fencing because it's cheap and sturdy:

The guy used 4x16 4 gauge cattle panels and stacked them on top of each other to make an 8 foot fence, then he bent the top in so the dogs couldn't jump out. And he connected chain link to the bottom of the fence to make a chain link skirt(later covered with dirt) on the inside so the dogs couldn't dig under the fence. Each panel is only about $57 so it ended up being pretty cheap.

I think if you wanted your grass to survive, you'd have to make the area much, much larger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts