German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
all sorts of things go on and are not entirely "kosher"

recent past - TV evening news - local interest story -- woman sobbing because her beloved pet had be
taken .
the dog was a small lap dog companion living in low rise apartment .

well cared for .

so why?

her only crime was that , she , the owner , was OLD -- an 80 year totally able to live independently

pressure used on her repetitively to "voluntarily" give the animal . They convinced her the dog would have
a better life , so basically she was guilted . They probably used her age in a what if you pass away scenario. --

when her adult children found out they brought it to the attention of the media

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If a "rescue" is buying dogs for thousands, and then selling them for profit. Not a rescue.

I'd even question whether a person who drives down south, loads up the van with free dogs from the shelter, does the bare minimum of vetting and temperament testing (if any at all), and thens sells them to people is actually a rescue. These people are making good money with this business venture- more than any breeder I know does, and the pups and dogs are often unhealthy or of poor temperament. Usually more super nervous/timid than aggressive, but I've seen dangerous dogs come out of these rescues.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
That's why I have purebreds from a breeder that I have met personally and feel good about how he breeds and raises his dogs. The times when you were able to get a nice puppy from the neighbor dog are long gone as all the nice mutts have bene spayed and neutered. "Rescues" and designer-dog breeders play into that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
all sorts of things go on and are not entirely "kosher"

recent past - TV evening news - local interest story -- woman sobbing because her beloved pet had be
taken .her only crime was that , she , the owner , was OLD -- an 80 year totally able to live independently
pressure used on her repetitively to "voluntarily" give the animal . They convinced her the dog would have
a better life , so basically she was guilted . They probably used her age in a what if you pass away scenario. --

when her adult children found out they brought it to the attention of the media
This makes me ANGRY as **** and is one of many reasons I am real picky about what groups I donate money to.
It has been shown in scientific studies that when an elderly person is in charge of care for a loved one, including pets, it keeps that elderly person more active, more socially engaged, more mentally stimulated and less depressed. The troglodytes who value animals more than human beings are depraved.
If they were so danged concern about the dog having a better life, one of the troglodytes should have volunteered to stop by the apartment everyday with some soup and tea to have a chat and look in on the woman and her pet. But that's too time-consuming, isn't it? Oh yeah, right- forgot about the "y'all don't really LIKE people" part!

I love that there are groups out there who care about animal welfare, but when they show such contempt for humanity, it really doesn't cast them in good light.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
One of the local "no-kill' shelter in our area gets tons of money from estates and donations because of the fact that people don't look behind the scenes and do this out of a good heart. So...cranking out sick and aggressive dogs, imported from out of state, is going to last.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
There is all sorts of shady crap that goes on behind the scenes in rescue and most of it should make people sick. No different then the "rescues" that pull puppies but leave momma to die. Puppies are easily adoptable for a profit, momma might need time and help.
For 10 years and hundreds of dogs, I made not one red cent, was often in debt and relied heavily on donations and generous vets to make it work. If a rescue is making a profit someone should be investigating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts