German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your dog reacted to someone crying? What did you do?
Here's what happened today: My 5 yr old cried after being playfully smacked (by his older sibling) with a small book on his bottom to get him to stop trying to tug the 16 week pup as he drank water. Now, I don't condone how his elder handled it. His feelings were hurt as he began walk away crying silent tears. My elder quickly realized his mistake and apologized immediately as he consoled him. The pup promptly began panting back and forth and whimpering loudly. Sniffing my younger one out and trying to lick or mouth his pants as he tried to paw him as well. I stayed with my boy the whole time, since my 5 yr old is a bit afraid of the dog (because of playful biting) and doesn't really come around him alone. Why do you think the pup acted like that? This was was surprising behavior but insightful as to how animals pick up on things. We kept telling him (the dog) it was ok as we tried to reassure things were ok. Not sure if we handled that correctly. What could we have done differently?

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
In my experience most dogs react to crying children. The reaction is sometimes not a happy one though.
It's pretty instinctive. I would not reassure the pup, but not sure that's ever a good plan. At best I would tell him he's a good boy and then draw him away. And distract him with something else.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I read a psychology paper about this ... for dogs, a baby's cry is very similar to a puppy's, automatically activates their Motivational Nursing System (which all mammals have). So I would say that your dog is very empathetic...I agree to reassure him next time and distract him, because the crying of children "worries" them (but in a good way, we can say 😂)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts