German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at adopting another GSD, and it has so far been a long and trying search.

Finally a rescue I do some volunteer work with got a sweet girl in. We went to meet her and she is great with people, great with cats, and great on the leash. We did notice that sometimes she'd growl or bark at other dogs (but not always).

We moved forward with a meet and greet of the dogs she'd have to live with (8yr terrier mix and 12yr black lab); both mellow and non-confrontational.

Long story short, we did a lot of work walking her with the terrier and lab so she wasn't aggressive toward them all the time, and even got them to sit next to each other, and she sniffed their butts.

But as we were winding down, and things were going well, she would suddenly stare them down and start barking at the dogs again. But she tends to do this with other dogs too... be fine, then suddenly bark at them.

When I say barking, it is in an aggressive manner; and one of the experienced handlers helping us put a muzzle on her for safety (which she tolerated pretty well IMO).

We know nothing about her background, she is about 1yr old; knew no commands (sit, down, stay, etc...), but she is very smart and picked up on these commands fairly quickly.

Any ideas why she might walk along side a dog just fine, then suddenly want to pick a fight?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
seems like a typical moody female shepherd

If she has to live with these dogs I don't know how you are going to deal with it because if she decides she doesnt wanna share her space with them or one of them its going to get nasty. If they are submissive to her it may work though just keep doing what your doing try some off leash work. Leashes make many gsds tense and uneasy let them go in a field off leash. Keep the little dog by your side. The stare is her daring them to try something. I call it the death stare lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts