German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ugh, I saw this a while back. We actually just talked about it too in an ethics session at school. How confusing and heart-breaking for the owners!

That's why we learn how to check for pulse after euthanasia solution is administered. I hope this mistake teaches us never to let this happen again!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Oh I can't believe I watched that. Zoe's dad was just put down almost two weeks ago and buried immediately after in his parents back yard where his brother was laid to rest. I hope he was gone they did a home euthanasia where the vet came out to put him down where he was most comfortable- he had cancer throughout his nose and mouth and after several treatments and surgeries had to be let go:( I have known him since he day they brought him home and his passing was hard...I hope this is extremely rare:(

·
Registered
125 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you should worry about that. With a veterinarian caring enough to do a home euthanasia, you can be assured he/she did things right. I've been a part of 100s of euthanasias, and we always check and double check. It's one of the hardest things someone will ever have to go through; there should be no question as to the outcome.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. i would think this would be rare. BUT i am the type of person to think, even if it is 1 in 100,000.... watch that 1 be MY dog, or My son, or ME in whatever situation there is lol

·
Registered
772 Posts
How unbelievably heartbreaking!! :teary: I feel so sorry for that man & his family. I don't think I could make that decision a second time.

Kristina

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Dear Lord! How can the vet not check and double check to make sure the dog is indeed gone!

Aren't some pet foods made from animals that are euthanized by shelters? It could very well be that if you feed your dogs these horrible foods then you are slowly building a tolerance in them to the drugs used to euthanize them so when the time comes to put your dog to sleep it would require MUCH more of the drug to do the job and the vet may not be aware.

But the vet should still be checking.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Lord! How can the vet not check and double check to make sure the dog is indeed gone!

Aren't some pet foods made from animals that are euthanized by shelters? It could very well be that if you feed your dogs these horrible foods then you are slowly building a tolerance in them to the drugs used to euthanize them so when the time comes to put your dog to sleep it would require MUCH more of the drug to do the job and the vet may not be aware.

But the vet should still be checking.
my thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i've seen this video. it made headlines early last year if memory serves. i do remember the guy saying they were going to keep her instead of trying again because they were afraid the same thing would happen again.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here is another very recent case of this happening to a healthy pup.

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

Not quite as sad since the dog is 100% OK now and probably going to be bought up for being a miracle dog (hopefully by a good owner) but apparently this happens quite a bit more than we think :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts