German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I debated putting this in the puppy section but after reading so many posts of dogs of all ages I think its good for any age.

So on to the advice.. If your having problems with your dog more then likely ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! This has to be the number one piece of advice to any new dog or puppy owner. 99.99999999% of the time its one of 2 things either A.) your not supervising the pup/dog properly or B.) your not giving him/her enough
exercise. It's also the first thing we tend to forget honestly when we are in the middle of dealing with a rambunctious pup. Lots of barking, whining, mouthing, stealing stuff off the tables, getting into anything and everything, bugging the heck out of you for attention.... go for a nice long walk somewhere personally prefer off leash in the woods if you can find it but anything works great. They need more then just to run around in the backyard through out the day get them out somewhere new with lots of new sights and smells. Mental stimuation is also a good one also keep in mind that their needs change originally a good long walk a few times a week worked great for Jinx now we need at least 2 a day plus multiple training sessions to keep her acting normal.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
My fault?

Are you kidding? I'm practically perfect and know it all!

If my puppy is misbehaving it's cause they are wicked and must be punished!!!! :eek:

Or, I guess I can just take them out for a nice long walk in the woods :wub:

·
Registered
606 Posts
My fault?

If my puppy is misbehaving it's cause they are wicked and must be punished!!!! :eek:

LOL! Immediately brought to mind Mary Poppins "Practically perfect in every way" :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i find giving constant supervision, daily/several times daily
training and socializing cures most problems before they start.
"think ahead to stay ahead".

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My fault?

LMAO!

We were on that border here today. Have been doing great with Jinx she really doesn't get into anything she's not supposed to and just all around a great pup UNTIL this morning. I made breakfast for her then for me sat down on the couch with breakfast (scrambled eggs), a glass of juice, salt/pepper, hot sauce, my laptop, cell phone, and a few various other items all on the coffee table (husband is deployed so yes I'm eating alone on the coffee table lol)

Let me preface this by saying I was sick yesterday so we went nowhere and just vegged out and thankfully Jinx let me have the day just a few bathroom breaks and she entertained herself with toys and chew bones. Well she made up for it this morning. I'm sitting there getting ready to take a bite of breakfast and she comes running full speed and dives ON TOP of the coffee table throwing everything on it off and just stands there al four paws on my table tail wagging a mile a minute with the happiest proud of herself look on her face looking at me like "why you mad mom" first thought of course was what the heck is wrong with you psycho dog but then my new phrase of "its all your fault" came to mind and I cleaned up the juice and the food items left the rest grabbed her backpack and threw her in the car and off to the woods we went. I'm still in awe that she did it but in fairness she had been cooped up an entire day and it was time to burn off energy so all my fault lol.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i find giving constant supervision, daily/several times daily
training and socializing cures most problems before they start.
"think ahead to stay ahead".
Shocking I know but I actually fully agree with you doggiedad lol. If they get into something because you didn't supervise its YOUR fault if you don't take the time to train it's YOUR fault if you don't socialize or exercise it's YOUR fault whatever the dog does. Even if they are still young or haven't been trained all that great if you supervise properly and stay a few steps ahead it makes life so much easier.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
MRL - I always remember one thing you wrote when people make comments about problems with their puppies, I think it was something like:

"Go get a newspaper, roll it up nice and tight, and then.. smack yourself in the head with it because it's your fault for not watching or containing the puppy properly"..

·
Registered
445 Posts
My dogs problem is not my fault. His problem is due to the owners before me because they left him home ALL the time. Now I live with the outcome trying to correct it day in and day out with NO success. It's discouraging. ):

1 - 9 of 9 Posts