German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for your advice. i have my 14 week old pup he is doing great on potty training almost couple accidents only in the house since he was 8weeks. he had giradia and we treated in and roundworms as well. when he had diarreah the breeder told me give him Eukanuba and actually it helped fixing his stools, then we also had prescribed foor and some antibutics and dewormer.

Now he is completley transitioned to Orijen large breed puppy food and i can see the change he is putting good weight and also better coat, i also mix it with canned pumpkin.

Here is my questions when he wakes up in the morning i take him to potty and it is firm stools not always dark but firm after he eats it getts soffter and then i crate him and my wife usually play with him and take him potty at 3pm and he some time has loose and firm or half and half. but at night time we feed him and wait a bit and we go for a walk and then before bed around 9ish i take him potty and it is mainly pudding. i really don't know what to do? he also eats grass and soil some time. i am really getting frustrated with this i dont know what to do. it seems like everytime we play or walk he then has looser/pooding stools. but after walking up from nap etc. its ok. what do you guys advice?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't have many pointers because I'm going through something similar with our Acana, but one thing is make sure you aren't overfeeding because that can cause loose ones too

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i feed about 1 and 3/4 of a cup of orijen. the recomndation is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups. and i can definetly feel his ribs.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
it could be the food, maybe to rich for him, he could still have some giardia/worms..

I probably would run another fecal on him first to rule out the giardia/worms, then I 'might' consider the food, altho I find puppies sometimes have days where the poop is good, othertimes, soft/mushy..so it could be nothing.

I woud rule out stuff with the fecal tho just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did couple weeks ago and the vet said that there is 2 worms left and he dewormed him again so he said he should be good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did the test and it came back negative. but it is turning very frustrating to me. i dont know what is going on. this morning it was complete pudding and i dont know. Maybe the food is to rich for him? what other food do you guys feed that is working good for you? I have noticed a signeficant change in his coat after moving from Eukanuba to Orijen LBP.

Please help!!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well this problem I had too (I posted above) is pretty much gone after adding a probiotic to her diet...I dont know if that's totally what did it, but they've been much more regular when I add that in the morning.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well this problem I had too (I posted above) is pretty much gone after adding a probiotic to her diet...I dont know if that's totally what did it, but they've been much more regular when I add that in the morning.
What do you add? only yogurt and do you add only greek yougurt or another type of yougurt? and do you feed Orijen too?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The vet gave me FortiFlora to try for a month. It's a powder I just sprinkle on her food. I dont know how much yogurt to use but I did give her nonfat greek yogurt before and it didn't cause a noticeable difference for me, maybe it wasnt enough :shrug:. I feed Acana which basically has the same ingredients as Orijin since they're both made by the same company, just has a little less protein.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts