41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
"white grass" tutorial

As promised, tutorial on "white grass"

before you start:

- choose a photo that was shoot in diffuse light conditions (overcast would be great)

- avoid busy photos, for example, avoid trees and flower, sky etc

As you will see in the following video, we want to create milky, translucent feel of the grass, almost as it was shoot in infra red spectrum. To achieve that, you will have to desaturated greens and yellows (or any other color that you grass is composed of, sometimes there is a hint of blue). In my case, subject is black dog with shiny reflective coat. That means that his coat would appear bluish because it reflects some of the sky color. You could leave it as is but we want almost BW photo so we should desaturate a bit of blues, pink or any other color that you see is reflected. Saturation value could be -100 but if you want a hint of colors, go between 0 and -100 and see where you like it most.
Next step is to make the grass lighter and less contrasty. You should change luminance value of greens and yellows around 100 (RAW editor tab (HSL/Grayscale) )
Then, make radial filter, or paint with Adjustment Brush and bring up Shadows and Dehaze a bit, or even bring up Exposure, until your grass looks bright and milky. Make sure you don't overexpose your grass.

Next steps are more about editing photos in general, contrast, exposure, levels, colors, denoise, sharpen... I've covered that in previous videos.

Red forest photo was done using similar technique. Some hue changes, split toning and masking unwanted color changes.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Wow. Thank You! That was amazing. It's like watching an artist paint. I had no idea there were so many steps but I also had no idea there were so many features in Photoshop.

I came across a Photoshop kit at a thrift store a couple of years ago. It's an older version (Anniversary Special Edition). It's going to be better than what I have now (Picasa 3) which does very little. My camera's a cheapie and older too (Canon SX 130 so I may hit a snag there too) Had to look up what RAW is after you mentioned it and I read where several people had tried to download a RAW converter app to work with their Canon SX130's but were unsuccessful. Hopefully the version of Photoshop I have can accommodate. It's got the manual (thank heaven) so we shall see!

I'm excited - thanks to you!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Canon SX 130 doesn't have RAW capabilities, if I'm correct. It only shoots JPEG format. You can hack your camera to enable RAW shooting, but that's not for everyone :)

You can still use RAW editing features in Photoshop by enabling them to open in RAW editor. Of course, JPEG and RAW files don't have the same levels of information in them, so your result won't be as good as it would if you used RAW file.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Well darn... My camera is just for shooting photos for products to sell online so it does the job for that. I think I'll put a bug in the pawn shop guy's ear that I need something better - I get some great deals out of there. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It probably has been said here many times, but utilizing the early morning sun light, or the sunset rays directly bathing the subject matter; can "pop" out the colors of your dog, and make them much brighter. Even-though we own a Nikon D500, the best pictures of Red are those impromptus shots taken by my I phone X.
The enclosed sample is a Non Photoshop enhanced Pic of our 21 month male, directly facing the morning sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Yes such gorgeous photos I follow on Flickr. I remember this thread. I was talking about this thread in the other link that also mentioned some tips @CometDog mentioned some helpful YouTube videos. I have watched some in the past it does take time to click but the YouTube video posted a good start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It took me some years to get a dog.
This is Bullet the new member of our family.
I am so happy that he had managed to adapt to his new environment faster than I expected.
GS.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
As promised, a thread about Dog Photography Tips and Tricks :) I’m not professional photographer but I have some tips and “tricks” I would like to share with you. I’ll separate them in several posts over time. Of course, it would be great that everyone write their tips and tricks so we could all learn how to make better photos of our furry friends, and sorry in advance if there are any spelling errors etc... English is not my first language

This is mostly for those whose cameras have RAW option, but not exclusively. The beauty of shooting RAW is in non destructive editing (to a degree), but some tips could be useful in general. I assume that you have basic knowledge about photography, by that I mean 3 basic elements Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO sensitivity. If not, here is useful link about that

First, get down :) don't shoot from our perspective unless you are doing some specific creative shoot. Avoid cropping tip of the ears (especially hard for us GSD owners :D ) tongues, feet… if you are not sure about composition use some common composition rules, when you learn them, you will know how to break them.

example of bad and good perspective:

example of creative shoot:

Choose a nice spot, without much distractions. You want to isolate the subject, not necessarily with shallow depth of field but background should not be distracting (unless it’s essential for telling a story).

example of distracting background and how you could edit even that kind of photo to get nice results (I'll explain editing process in next post):

example of isolation with shallow depth of field:

Thank you for the info

·
Registered
6 Posts
My next step is noise reduction, sharpening, lens corrections. There are in camera corrections but if you shoot RAW you should adjust that in photo editor. I’m usually doing initial color noise reduction in RAW editor and again on final or near final edit using photoshop Topaz denoise plugin for fine tuning. You could do everything in RAW editor but result are not as good. Sharpening is something I do last, before saving. I use Photoshop smart sharpen filter.

*note, I don't always denoise in the end, sometimes I do it in the middle of the process if it is to distracting

Use right exposure. If I shoot action and dog is moving from light to shadow I usually set fixed aperture, faster shutter speed (about 1/1600 or more) and auto ISO. Be careful with autoiso option on low-end cameras, if you have option to limit upper value, use it. If dogs are posing I usually have time to manually set all the parameters for best results. Be careful with action shots and large aperture (low numbers eg. f1.8) depth of field is very shallow and subject can easily fall out of focus.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts