German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Wow, THANKS a ton for compiling this together! Its no secret I have admired your photography skills for a while now...

Maybe one day I can take some photos that are half as good as yours! ;)

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Ok question. I can occasionally take wonderful pictures. Lol.

It sounds as if you take most of your pictures using a low aperture and high shutter speed 1/1600? The only way my camera will do that is in very high light.

I use the basic stock lens on my Nikon it's a Nikkor 55-200 mm 1:4-5.6G ED. Is this not fast enough for your type of set up? I also have a Nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 G2.

I try to shoot when not super sunny, dusk, dawn cloud cover. But I can't get the speed high enough, my camera says "not enough light".

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
jaudlee, I don't have Instagram account but I'll follow you on Flickr.
gsdlover91 said:
Wow, THANKS a ton for compiling this together! Its no secret I have admired your photography skills for a while now...

Maybe one day I can take some photos that are half as good as yours! ;)
Thanks! I'll try to find time to write more, and I really like your photos too :) you have a good eye and beautiful dogs
gsdsar said:
Ok question. I can occasionally take wonderful pictures. Lol.

It sounds as if you take most of your pictures using a low aperture and high shutter speed 1/1600? The only way my camera will do that is in very high light.

I use the basic stock lens on my Nikon it's a Nikkor 55-200 mm 1:4-5.6G ED. Is this not fast enough for your type of set up? I also have a Nikkor 18-55 mm 1:3.5-5.6 G2.

I try to shoot when not super sunny, dusk, dawn cloud cover. But I can't get the speed high enough, my camera says "not enough light".
Try lower shutter speed, 1/1000-1250 and use higher ISO values. Shutter speed really depends of the type of action, it can go as low as 1/400 for some slow movement. Depending on your camera, you can go to really high values of ISO e.g. 1600-12800 and have decent quality photos. I've used 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM on 7D (crop) in dusk, rain, forest etc, ISO was 3200 and it is noticeable on crop cameras but it can be corrected.

See the example, Canon 7D | 250mm | f5/6 | 1/1250 | ISO 3200:

and this is, Canon 5D MK III | 100mm | f3.2 | 1/1250 | ISO 10000:

As you can see, color noise is most noticeable in dark areas of photos, and on hi-end cameras it is barely noticeable even on ISO values as high as 10000. So, try stepping up the ISO and stepping down the shutter and see how it goes. I'll try to make another in depth video about noise reduction so I hope that will help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Editing high ISO photos

this example was shoot at 4am ( before sunrise ) | ISO 12800 | 1/800

original:

and with final editing, noise reduction and sharpening

video of editing process (sorry it is a bit fast). I've used topaz denoise, but it can be done in RAW editor with Noise Reduction

For me, removing color noise is a must and It's the first thing I do in Raw editor, but sometimes I leave monochromatic noise, it can be useful and give distinctive feel to photos. So it really on depends what I want to from final edit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It is amazing what you can do with your photos! I have started editing a few of my photos (JPG) because my card does not suffice for the amount of photos i take with the sheer size of RAW images yet. What is your flickr name so i can check them out!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm going to be taking the dog on a hike later with my camera and will be looking to take some photos in the woods. I see your photos and your advice to others. You said to lower shutter speed, but my dog is like a bat out of **** 24/7 so that makes for a lot of blurry photos

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I'm going to be taking the dog on a hike later with my camera and will be looking to take some photos in the woods. I see your photos and your advice to others. You said to lower shutter speed, but my dog is like a bat out of **** 24/7 so that makes for a lot of blurry photos
Sorry I missed your comment :( well you don't have much choice there, if you don't have enough light and your lens aperture is not very wide, either you max out ISO and have grainy photos or you set lower shutter speed and have blurry photos.

Which shutter speed did you used?

·
Registered
577 Posts
As promised, a thread about Dog Photography Tips and Tricks :)
This is really great. I just got my first DSLR a big step up from a "Sure Shot" and it does have a RAW option. Thank you so much for taking the time to compile this.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Should you overexpose or underexpose for black dogs?

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
neither. You really don't want to "blow out" your highlights, turning them into white with no data. Under exposed you may have trouble pulling out the details later. What you really want to watch for is where the light is coming from. I've had trouble finding my dog's face in his black mask when the sun is behind him. Turn him sideways to the sun or have the light source reflected back towards his face and you can catch the shine in the eyes and the highlights on the nose and the glow in the fur.

And thank goodness for beefy software with sliders that can tease out info that you may not see in SOOC.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thank you Car2ner!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I absolutely love this thread. I have been looking for useful tips to improve my photography, but i have a kit lens (55-200mm) so the quality isn't all that great. I was thinking about getting a new lens though, and wanted some feedback as to which would be better.

I have always wanted the 85mm 1.4 or 1.8. But I can't decide between that or the 50mm 1.4. I also really enjoy macro so i was looking into the 100mm 2.8.

My question for you is which lens you think would be best to get. I have been stuck as to which one would produce more pleasing results.

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
Maybe you could look into renting a lens for a weekend. See if it gives you results you want for the type of photos you love to take. Good glass can be so expensive.

By the way, I shoot mostly with kit lenses. You can still do some great stuff with basic lenses.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Like car2ner said, best option is to rent lenses and see what is best for you.

Both lenses are good, 85 1.8 and 50 1.4, so it really depends on your shooting style what would be good for you and that is something no one can tell you. You would usually need at least one wide lens and one telephoto (or zoom). 100mm 2.8 Macro is phenomenal lens, especially L version I made some great shots with both versions L and non L.

Are you on crop or FF?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm not sure if any of you are interested in videography, but anyway, I wanted to share some thought about that.

I'm still testing equipment and techniques, so most of my videos are just that.. test videos :) combination of nature/macro shots with shots of my dogs with some nice ambient music.

For Canon DSLR users there is possibility to shoot RAW video using Magic Lanten firmware. It is a bit complicated and it could harm you camera in very very rare occasion, but it brings your videos to a whole new level. I've used ML on my Canon 60D, 7D and even now on my 5Dmk III without any issues, but again, if anything happens insurance wont cover it.

Why risk it? Well, I love editing my photos so I shoot RAW, and I love to have that possibility for my "moving pictures" :) When you shoot RAW video you can edit your clips in lightroom od RAW editor (one frame of a clip) in the same manner like your photos.

Latest video, recorded in the past year with main actor, Brick . Enjoy :)

And a few unedited, RAW photos form that video, just to see the difference.

If any of you are interested in this topic I'll be glad to share some tips.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I'm not sure if any of you are interested in videography, but anyway, I wanted to share some thought about that.

I'm still testing equipment and techniques, so most of my videos are just that.. test videos :) combination of nature/macro shots with shots of my dogs with some nice ambient music.

For Canon DSLR users there is possibility to shoot RAW video using Magic Lanten firmware. It is a bit complicated and it could harm you camera in very very rare occasion, but it brings your videos to a whole new level. I've used ML on my Canon 60D, 7D and even now on my 5Dmk III without any issues, but again, if anything happens insurance wont cover it.

Why risk it? Well, I love editing my photos so I shoot RAW, and I love to have that possibility for my "moving pictures" :) When you shoot RAW video you can edit your clips in lightroom od RAW editor (one frame of a clip) in the same manner like your photos.

Latest video, recorded in the past year with main actor, Brick . Enjoy :)

And a few unedited, RAW photos form that video, just to see the difference.

If any of you are interested in this topic I'll be glad to share some tips.[/QUOT

I enjoyed this these were great!!! Such cool moving pictures. Tips are always appreciated:)

21 - 40 of 57 Posts