German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a float coat for Zoey to wear on our longer kayak trips and she doesn't seem to mind it so far and it's easy getting it on/off. She does adjust position a bit more than kayaking without, but maybe that's to be expected. The vest comes together at the bottom of her chest with an overlap and the buckles set off to the side a bit, are there other vests that only have straps across the bottom/chest?

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I bought a float coat for Zoey to wear on our longer kayak trips and she doesn't seem to mind it so far and it's easy getting it on/off.

How do you get her back into the kayak if she jumps out? That conundrum has kept me from taking a dog with me when we go out in a tandem kayak -- I'm thinking that getting the dog back up would tip us, but maybe I'm missing some secret method to do it safely.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you get her back into the kayak if she jumps out? That conundrum has kept me from taking a dog with me when we go out in a tandem kayak -- I'm thinking that getting the dog back up would tip us, but maybe I'm missing some secret method to do it safely.
Zoey fell off once on our Saturday trip while adjusting her position to view some nearby ducks. She managed to get her front legs up on her own before I could intervene and I lifted her up the rest of the way using the handle on the top of the vest. She was very nonchalant about it which helped and the kayak is an sot and sits low in the water so that factored in as well. I secured two layers of high density foam at the front of the kayak to give her more traction and a bit more comfort when laying down. The foam also allowed her to gain some traction and assist in the lift. We rocked a bit, but nothing close to tipping.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
We don't kayak but we use the Ruffwear when she goes into Lake Superior. So cold, I want her to have that extra level of safety. This one has held up very well.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
We have that one as well - Marco hates getting it on but loves it once its actually on. Still not a big fan of the pool - but we took him out on the boat for the first time and he loved it!!!! He definitely needs it on the boat!!!!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Here’s a picture of him in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
got to get ours on the kayak. Making a riding platform but the Ruffwear coat we use on the jon boat and other boats for the SAR team. on the jon boat if the front paws are on the gunnels and you hang on they can use their back legs against the boat to get themselves in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've been wanting to Kayak with my dog. Not sure how I'd keep her from jumping out, but I think we'll have to give it a go!

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
The main thing I like is they hug the body and they do NOT force the dogs butt up and head down when they are swimming as do some of the coats with longer backs. The dog can swim very naturally in the Ruffwear coat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts