German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you see any differences between dog people (people who own dogs/pets and treat them well) vs. regular people (people who do not own any dogs/pets)?

The only thing I could really think of is that IME regular people have much cleaner homes...but I don't have very much experience with people who own dogs...

·
Registered
406 Posts
We have two large dogs in the house and it doesn't smell "doggy" the price I pay though, is that I vacuum every day as opposed to once a week for my non doggie friends. Luckily our house is small so it doesn't take long! My non-animal owning friends just seem to have more time.. I get home from work and have to walk dogs and feed horses, they just get to sit and relax. On days when the weather is bad, they get to stay in and I still have to go out, but I actually see that as a positive thing..

The main difference between my pet-owning and non-pet owning friends is that the latter just don't get it!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
My house is really clean, my dogs live in the fully finished basement, there space get vacd everyday and their bedding is done on Saturdays, their crates are washed down everyday now (summer dirt) my upstairs gets vacuumed/moped/dusted everyday except on sundays. I guess my basement does have a less then desirable odor but I have 3 dogs so...ohwell.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
My house is really clean, my dogs live in the fully finished basement, there space get vacd everyday and their bedding is done on Saturdays, their crates are washed down everyday now (summer dirt) my upstairs gets vacuumed/moped/dusted everyday except on sundays. I guess my basement does have a less then desirable odor but I have 3 dogs so...ohwell.

I got tired reading this.

I clean when I feel like it (not often), my bed has dirt in it that my dog brings from the park. It's all worth it. I stopped letting him in bed for a week and I didn't like it.

But I wasn't into cleaning before I got him too. I keep my apt uncluttered but that's about it.

·
Registered
9,730 Posts
Sometimes I envy my friends without dogs for the all ready mentioned reasons. But only when I am tired or are stressed for some reason. But two days without dogs is starting to wear on me on dogless vacations.
Regarding the dirt; I don't care. I vacuum when the dust bunnies are starting to ask for food. I know my house doesn't smell doggy like (my honest friends confirmed), because they are the ones who are clean, raw fed and healthy.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I have to vacuum everyday too. With 3 GSDs and a teeny tiny house, the hair would carry me away if I didn't. I don't have carpet in my house, so I can see the hair on the floor. It's pretty scary!

I always seem to have someone in the process of blowing coat, so it's never ending...

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I got tired reading this.

I clean when I feel like it (not often), my bed has dirt in it that my dog brings from the park. It's all worth it. I stopped letting him in bed for a week and I didn't like it.

But I wasn't into cleaning before I got him too. I keep my apt uncluttered but that's about it.
Im pretty tired too, 3 dogs, 3 teenage boys and I own my own business

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have to vacuum everyday too. With 3 GSDs and a teeny tiny house, the hair would carry me away if I didn't. I don't have carpet in my house, so I can see the hair on the floor. It's pretty scary!

I always seem to have someone in the process of blowing coat, so it's never ending...
I know this question is off topic...but do you feed raw or kibble...just curious?

As far as "dog people" vs."regular people" ( non dog owners )...I have found that truly caring "dog people" many times have a different view on humanity (the human race; human beings collectively.) versus humanity ( humaneness; benevolence., kindness consideration,understanding and sympathy ). They tend to put a premium on the later. Of course, I am trying to argue the rule since there are many exceptions. I also have found all too many dog owners lament the loss of their dog more than they might with the loss of human....obvious exceptions of course. Quality "dog people" also place a priority on their furry companion which shapes their lives differently at times than non-dog people...having a dog in your life simply makes you different in many ways...and most all the differences are great in making one a more "total" human.

All of my opinions of course do not include the crappy dog owners who should never have had a dog in the first place and the over the top crazy dog people who might think they are more canine than human.

Oh, one last thought....I bet " dog people " definitely have a plastic bag on their person or in their jacket and pants pockets in the closet a million more times often than your "regular person"....but I guess that is intuitively obvious to the most casual of observers.

SuperG

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I'm not little miss suzy homemaker. My house isn't spotless. I clean good once a week; and if my house smells like a dog? /shrugs So what? If you don't like my house, go somewhere else. The more I know about people, the better I like my dogs. They don't lie to you, they don't talk about you behind your back, they don't bitch at you, and they don't cheat on you. They don't give a donkey's behind if you aren't the smartest tack in the pack, they don't care if your not the cutest one, or have the best car ( house, clothes, stuff) How many people can you say that about?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know this question is off topic...but do you feed raw or kibble...just curious?

SuperG
I feed both. Don't exactly balance the raw (they get gizzards and organ meat with chicken necks and backs as one meal) and then the recommended amount of kibble as another meal...sometimes though (like right now) I don't bother with the raw...I can't balance the raw properly (Zeeva gets diarrhea on it even though Smokey does splendidly on the same exact thing)...

C:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts