German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 1.5ish year old Gsd that is crate trained. We gave her some freedom for a few nights in an effort to let her sleep out of crate overnight. She did fine the first couple days, but decided to use the facilities on third night, peeing and pooping on an area rug upstairs overnight.

Has anyone else had this happen? She hasn’t went in the house since she was a little puppy only a few months old. Any tips? As far as I know she didn’t try to wake us to be let outside, but I can’t be certain as we sleep with bedroom door shut.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You said she's crate trained, okay, but is she house trained? Potty trained? She knows she shouldn't do anything in her crate, but does she knows not to do anything in the house as well?

Maybe she did try to wake you but failed to do so. I know a lot of dogs who are crate trained and their owners always have a schedule. If you take your dog out before sleep time day after day maybe she will get more used to it. Consistence is key.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Any tips? As far as I know she didn’t try to wake us to be let outside, but I can’t be certain as we sleep with bedroom door shut.
Hi 3 Star!
If you are determined to leave her un-crated, I would definitely have her sleep in your room so that she can let you know. She could have whined and you didn't hear her.

When we go to a hotel, I take a gate and block our young female inbetween our beds....just to make sure!

Also, make sure you take her out to potty and watch her, to make sure she eliminates, about 10-11pm before retiring for the nite.

Moms :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys. Thx for replies.

Yes, she is house trained. She always goes to the door when she needs to go to bathroom.

Maybe we will try again with door open so she can wake us up if she needs to go.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Yes, she is house trained. She always goes to the door when she needs to go to bathroom.

Who could see her go to the door while you all were sleeping.

You are setting yourself up for failure. If you want to give her freedom put down a doggie pillow in your bedroom and close your door.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
When I start letting mine sleep loose, I start with in my bedroom with door closed. Plus closets and bathroom doors closed if I am not sure they might go shopping for stuff while I am asleep. They gradually earn more space.

I don't try unless we are a long time from the last accident.

If locked in bedroom I think it is easier for them to learn to wake me up if they need because they can't sneak off somewhere to potty.

So far they have all figured it out.

I wouldn't try again too soon with a dog who just peed and pooped on the floor.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Before you try this again, along with the other suggestions, make certain that you wash the area rug with a good enzyme cleaner and also the flooring underneath. Cleaning with regular products won't eleminate the odors that she can detect eleven if you can't smell it.

It sounds like it was just that, an accident and she had no choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Probably just an accident...

...when I take personal relief I also take my dog out too. I suppose you could try that?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We're currently fostering a female GSD. Like you, we decided to give her some nightly freedom versus being in the kennel all night. Each time we let her sleep wherever she wanted to, we got up the next morning with a "surprise". If she was kenneled at night: no surprise. So right now, we're kenneling her at night. Letting out before she's kenneled each night, and getting her out first thing in the morning.

Someone advised me to give her a treat when she does her "dumps" outside. But I got outflanked because she would "dump" then run over to me and get her treat. Then she would go back and complete her "dump".

Who said GSDs are not smart. Well at least smarter than I am.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all! I have an 11 month old female GSD. She's been crate trained from the day I brought her home. I recently tried her in a larger crate but she went potty in there overnight. I would love to get her to be crate free at night and when I'm not home during the day. Any help would be great! Thank you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts