German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear. So now that the weather has warmed up a bit and we has a bit of rain my grass has started to turn green. Well, that is everywhere except the large brown patches ALL over my back yard where the dogs peeing on it are killing my grass. It is quite pitiful looking. Is there anything I can put on it that will help??

When it was just Dharma she would only use one corner, I could live with one corner being brown. Tessa, however, does not have those ethics. She will squat and pee anywhere she sees fit. And because the smell is now all over the yard, Dharma is now using the whole yard. So, does anyone have any ideas of what I can use to save my grass before the buttholes at my HOA get wind of this and decide I need to pay for sod replacement?? TIA.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Supposedly feeding tomato juice neutralizes the pee so it doesn't burn...
For the already yellow spots we fix it with special patch grass that comes with its own mulch-type stuff. After that, I ran the dogs out of the garage door so the first grass they hit was the park, not ours :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ahh, but they bring so much joy, don't they?

I have always had this problem and was never able to find anything to prevent this. Like the previous poster said, you could try dousing the spot with water just after they pee. I haven't tried this yet but it makes sense.

Other than that, you'll more than likely have to pull up the dead grass and put down a seed/fertilizer mix to grow new grass. You can repair with new sod as well. One thing I have done to mitigate the issue is to train my dogs to go in one small area. You'll still have some repair to do, but at least you're not repairing spots all over the yard.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jax's mom:

I've heard of the tomato juice solution. For some reason, I thought you were supposed to pour the juice over the spot in the grass where there is urine to neutralize it on the ground, because if the dog drinks the juice the pee still comes out with the same acidic qualities. Another owner of female dogs told me that even wetting down the spot with water will help.

Personally, I gave up on the notion of having nice grass lawn when I used to have a female GSD.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
There are things you can put on the brown spots to neutralize the PH of the urine. There are also grass mix/blends that help with the problem (but not eliminate it).

I would check with a landscape/nursery. We've had that problem as well and those were the suggestions they made. It kind of depends on the part of the Country you live in and the soil. They also told us NOT to feed tomato juice because it can raise the acidity of the urine.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I gave up on the backyard last year. :rolleyes:
But we keep the front yard green and maintained nicely, so when we go out on walks, we go out through the driveway. But on occasion upon getting out of the car, which he has to hit the grass to get out, he will go on the grass. Can't stop mother nature from happening. :D
I have a watering can that I just fill and water where he peed. And it's never turned brown.
Other than that, I haven't found a cure either.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Jax's mom:

I've heard of the tomato juice solution. For some reason, I thought you were supposed to pour the juice over the spot in the grass where there is urine to neutralize it on the ground, because if the dog drinks the juice the pee still comes out with the same acidic qualities.
Apparently we're both wrong :D
Seems the nitrogen in pee is the culprit, so diluting it with water is the only solution and also happens so fertilize the lawn as well when not in concentrated blasts.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Just water it down. If I see mine go I pour water on it. In the summer months I just run the sprinkler system once a day, works like a charm.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also spray with hose right after Frodo pee's, seems to work except last year, those areas that stayed moist from all the watering got lawn disease because of to much moisture. This year I'm gonna try training him to go in one corner that way I can lay wood chips there.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a six foot privacy fence so hopefully they won't see it. We have a sprinkler system that should kick in later this month so that should help. The water idea is really great but I don't see myself going out with a bucket at 4 in the morning when they run out for their potty break when we get up in the morning. It's worth a shot at other times though.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like that idea but I'm not sure how well the HOA will like it!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Kidkhmer:

Hilarious.

Another solution: Buy artificial grass. The new kinds let the pee go right through and stay nice and green.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
We do the same, back yard use to be beautiful, we nuture the front. It isn't the pee but the running,digging into the turf while running! And re-seeding it is futile.

I would do some peagravel, make a "litter-box"~ hose it down often, and scoop poop if I only had one dog. One of my dogs goes in the wooded area, and two do their thing in their own chosen space so I know they will take to a designated spot if trained to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts