German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It looks to me like the sores have been caused by him licking on his paws maybe because they itch due to the allergies. Or it could have been an insect bite which itched and he kept on licking, which gave a relief, then he kept on licking. My Sting had something like that only it was on his front leg. He had sores all up and down the leg and that is what the vet told me it was. I applied Vetericyn hot spot spray and would distract him with a toy when he wouild start to lick. I also use a tea tree oil bitter chewing deterant spray. I also gave him Homeopet Skin & Itch drops which can be given with medication. It took a while to clear up but it did heal. If you notice your gsd licking alot that maybe what has happened.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Wash it daily with Keto-C shampoo. Active ingredients are Ketoconazole 1% (anti-fungal) and Chlorhexidine 2% (anti-microbial). My pup has allergies and whenever she starts licking her feet I start washing her feet daily. You leave the shampoo on for about 10 minutes then rinse well and dry. You'll be amazed by how much it helps. It is supposed to be available via prescription, but you can buy it on Amazon without one. Addressing the itching with Apoquel or Hydroxyzine would also help but those are Rx. Hydroxyzine is stronger than Benadryl.

Another thing I have used on hotspots is Potassium Promanganate. It is a granular substance and you only need to use a few grains (literally) to mix with water to make a very light pink solution. Soak the sores in this for 5-10 minutes. It will disinfect and dry up the sores. I used both KMnO4 and Keto-C on my dog this summer, along with Apoquel and antibiotics, for bad hot spot on her tail. It dried up and healed within a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts