German Shepherds Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dog parks have their place and there's some value in them helping an only dog to socialize IF it's the RIGHT park.

As someone mentioned earlier each park is different just like each neighborhood is different.

Some parks attract more mannerly dogs and owners too. Some parks in certain neighborhoods attract the rough and ready wild, untrained and untamed dogs who dominate the others with their bad manners.

Finding one where the owners interact with their dogs and care that their dog and others mind their manners is not easy.

Dog parks helped to solve my rescue's dog reactivity. The first time she went in she was promptly put in her place
by a large paw of another female GSD. The large paw held her down til she was submissive. Immediate correction that
worked. She learned her lesson and since then has loved, loved each park she's gone to. Now if she doesn't like a certain dog, she walks away or avoids. She's still too rough with small dogs as she run too fast for them.
But dog parks got her over the dog reactivity she had and it was bad.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know if anybody else has run into this situation? The dog park nearest to me is a strange beast. Because there is a convenient parking lot right next to the off-leash area, it is used extensively by dog walkers. Each of these dog walkers are allowed as many as 6 dogs, while a few ignore the by -law and bring more than that. First of all, these dogs do not generally respond that well when called by someone who is not their owner. Secondly, there does seem to be some "socalization", but that is predominantly several of the dog walkers talking to each other while paying very little attention to the dogs. The resulting energy in this park is very strange. Some of the dogs act as weird packs with their walking group, others are very aggressive, while some have a great old time. I don't like it because you can easily find 7 or 8 dog walkers looking after 40 or 50 dogs....it's lunacy.

Conversely, at another park, that does not have an off-leash area but isn't really patrolled, there may be 5-10 off-leash dogs, each with their owner. A completely different vibe. 90% well behaved dogs and proper supervision.

It's an interesting difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I love dog parks. Great for socialization to other dogs and even people. Just remain aware of other dogs behaviors. If there's an aggressive or misbehaving dog, leave or if you get enough courage, say something to the owner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts