German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I just LOVE your amazing action shots .

nice , very athletic dog there !!

not addressing the thread topic of dog park -- but somewhat taking advantage
of these shots to show why the back is so important.

in the stretched views you can clearly see the wither , the mid back and the back .

a roached back would not have this ability to flex - second shot shows full extension
and a change or direction slight twist or rotation of her rear (photo #2)

the coiled shot - amazing timing to take that shot --- again a roached back could not
do this

this is working structure - love the dog , love the photos

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Great photos! You must have a nice camera to get action shots like those...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
She could be having this same fun in a field and not be possibly attacked by other dog park dogs. Before I knew any better, I took Inga to a dog park and some homeless guys pit bull attacked my puppy. It took a long time and a lot of work to supress her dog reactivity. They never really get over it. That guys dog could have killed her and then turned on me when I waded in to rescue her- not worth it!

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The second shot (of her turning) is amazing. Looks like how they turn in motorcycle racing, with their knees brushing the ground.

Absolutely gorgeous animal, in my mind she is exactly what a GSD is supposed to look like. She looks more like a Malinois than most GSDs you see these days. Old school working dog the way Cpt. Stephanitz intended, love it!

What breeder did you get her from?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
The second shot (of her turning) is amazing. Looks like how they turn in motorcycle racing, with their knees brushing the ground.

Absolutely gorgeous animal, in my mind she is exactly what a GSD is supposed to look like. She looks more like a Malinois than most GSDs you see these days. Old school working dog the way Cpt. Stephanitz intended, love it!

the thread title wasn't the best - more people need to see this dog just to see what proper conformation looks like in action and allows the animal to do.

the analogy to the motor cycle rider dropping the center of balance and leaning into the direrction was pretty good !

Agree with everything except for the comparison to a Malinois .
They have a different length of body ratio and are built more for explosive
energy bursts and jumping - this is right in the von Stephanitz tome where he answers
whether there is any benefit to blending the two . His clear answer was NO, there is nothing to be gained.
He said it in such a way that gave credit and praise for the Malinois , but the GSD
is built for econmical movent able to endure over distance - long distance .

I would love to see the pedigree .
Herding background (genetically) possibly DDR ?

dog park ? I don't see other dogs

·
Premium Member
424 Posts

the thread title wasn't the best - more people need to see this dog just to see what proper conformation looks like in action and allows the animal to do.

the analogy to the motor cycle rider dropping the center of balance and leaning into the direrction was pretty good !

Agree with everything except for the comparison to a Malinois .
They have a different length of body ratio and are built more for explosive
energy bursts and jumping - this is right in the von Stephanitz tome where he answers
whether there is any benefit to blending the two . His clear answer was NO, there is nothing to be gained.
He said it in such a way that gave credit and praise for the Malinois , but the GSD
is built for econmical movent able to endure over distance - long distance .

I would love to see the pedigree .
Herding background (genetically) possibly DDR ?

Oh no, absolutely. I wasn't trying to say she actually looks like a Mal. That was poorly worded on my part, there's numerous details where they're built differently. Chest cavity depth, exaggerated pectoral musculature (pectoral is not the right word but you know what I mean - front chest), foot size proportion, bone structure, even rear croup like a horse, list goes on.

I was saying she has that look, sleek powerful built for work. You look at one and knowing nothing about dogs at all, you can tell it's not meant to hogg the couch and be a snuggle buddy. That's what I'm referring to and I love to see.

Mals remind me of thoroughbreds and a GSD like her reminds me of an Arabian.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Your dog's joy is contagious, I'm so glad I got to see these this morning, would love to see more!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
thanks for the pedigree

so yes on the genetic herding lines -- you have Marko (Maineiche breedings multi times) , Racker (multi times ) , Uwe Kirschental (multi times)
von haus knufken breeding -(multiple times)

Bernd Lierberg represented multiple times - one of my favourites Seffe Busecker Schloss as an example.

I tend to look at the dam's pedigree first . All the touch stones to herding genetics listed above belong to
the dam's pedigree (Christel).
This is one nice , strong , versatile , working dog pedigree . Nice.

now looking at the sire - HA ! I knew it . DDR - and I was going to hazard a guess and put Lord in the pedigree and there he is.

That female Xena is familiar to me in her type - a female that I have who is multi Racker ,
multi Bernd , and multi Lord .

There is your herding genetics and the DDR connection --

The male is mutli time U litter Kirschental through Yoschy but nicely fortified with a strong dam line
brining in Berdn through DDR vom haus Himpel breedings .
Racker is represented again multiple times as is U litter Kirschental.

I love the dam's pedigree.

interesting pedigree

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wow, that's a huge dog park. The ones around me are tiny compared to yours. They're not even an acre. People call them dog parks, but they're more like dog runs or dog exercise enclosures. Imagine fitting 20-30 dogs in an acre, compared to that wide open park you go to.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Obviously not the topic of the thread, but see photo #6, several dogs and their owners in the background. Nice park! And Xena is just plain gorgeous!

·
Super Moderator
32,714 Posts
Nice pictures! The off leash parks we go to around here are large multi-acre open space areas. Many if not most of my pictures at our local parks don't show other dogs either, even when heavily used, because they're so spread out.

Not all "dog parks" are little fenced areas with a bunch of badly behaved dogs and inattentive, clueless owners. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The park we are at is actually the smaller of the two by us. They trade off is it’s only 4 mins from my door. The other one is 5 acres and 15-20 mins away. We have another one that’s pretty big and is connected to a lake, which is pretty fun in the summer. Xena could care less about anything and everything around her if I have a toy. Most of the times I have the girls (8yr and 4yr) with and she stays fairly close to them as well.

I took the pics with my iPhone. Also, took screen shots of a video to get most of the motion pics.

She is a psycho for anything ball related. I’m happy it’s getting cooler in WI because she will go go go as long as I keep throwing the toy ?

We got her from Gunnolf Kennels in Iowa (from his FB posts he may have some pups available now. Same dame as Xena different sire). When we picked her up he gave us a ball on a rope and stated she has a little higher drive than he first though she would ... LOL that’s for sure!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts