German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nate really enjoys his time at the dog park, and we've never really had any problems. Until this month.
I'm just going to come right out and say it:
YOU WERE RIGHT, PEOPLE THAT TELL ME NEVER TO GO TO THE DOG PARK BECAUSE IT IS A DANGEROUS AND DISEASE RIDDEN PLACE. :headbang:

Nate got kennel cough about a month ago- that was fine. Went to the vet to be sure, got some light antibiotics, done. Fine.

Yesterday, Nate was attacked by a rottie. (Who was actually trying to fight with another dog- poor Nate tried to run and tripped like a goob.) After a few rounds of sedation and a liberal shaving, he has 20 stiches on his chest and a few on each side of his elbow.

Hooray for Vet insurance! Boo irresponsible pet owner that can't control her dog.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. best wishes for Nate's speedy recovery.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
Hooray for Vet insurance! Boo irresponsible pet owner that can't control her dog.
So sorry Nate is hurt. Did you report this to AC? The dog park management? Why isn't the rottie's owner paying the vet bill? Did you get his information for vaccinations?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, everyone.

Jax- I did not. The Rot's muzzle was torn pretty badly, and even though we all saw that it was the pit, I had no solid way to prove Nate did not reciprocate. (The disambiguated voice of my dad the insurance lawyer pops into my brain at convenient times.)
I, ah, also kind of kicked the pit in the head while helping Nate limp away. He wouldn't stop going after him, and the owner was just standing there slack-jawed. I felt bad, but I'd do it again.:(

Everyone supposedly had their shots. Nate is up to date-I asked the vet about this- he did not seem concerned.

I just ran to the store and got him a cone alternative- It looks like a kid's arm float-y. He's tolerating it well.:) I'll have to post a picture later.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm really sorry this happened to your boy...how awful.

I'm on the no dog park band wagon. Having your boy interact with trusted & stable dogs is best.

Strong healing vibes your way for Nate.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I'm sorry, wow twenty stitches. That's an attack not a dog on dog correction.
Don't worry about kicking the other dog in the head. If it continues it's forward aggression (intent to cause harm) there is nothing that you are going to do short of shooting it that is any worse than it's going to do to your dog.
You do have the right to defend yourself and your dog.

And, yep....unless it's a private dog park....you're never going to see anyone bleach spraying or washing the water bowls. There are so many strains of "kennel cough" that it's a tough thing to fight. It can be spread without showing symptoms and is an airborne pathogen (sp?)

I used to take Alice but in the last couple of years (Alice actually struck a dog and put a nice hole in it's side) I've watched people bring dogs that really shouldn't be around other dogs for whatever reason or they sit on their rear ends and do not manage their dogs' behavior. It isn't starbucks....put the drink and the cell phone down and pay attention to your beast.
I've tried to stick to informal parks. The one I take her to now is not really fenced on one side so recall is mandatory not optional.
I also try to set up play dates with dogs close to her size so she maintains the level of socialization that I worked so hard to get as a puppy. (not good nerves)
I'd take her to work with me but with her ataxia she can't handle the floors or her footing it's actually stressful for her.

ETA: You may if your able file a complaint with Animal Control on line with at least a description of the incident, the dog, and the human handler/owner. That way when it kills a dog in the future something has been documented. Or, hopefully despite CAs budget woes, they may look for this dog and owner.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
I quit going to the dog park due to stupid owners who sit and chat and don't care what their dogs do. I miss going, as my dog loved it. Just not worth the risk. I'll go back when the weather gets cold and only the more devoted type owners tend to go. Maybe, anyway. People who see the dog park as a human social event make me crazy. No rules are ever enforced at our dog park, so it has soured me -- to even the point of young toddlers in the big dog side.

I'm not anti dog park at all, still. Some are obviously much better than others.

Sorry you had such a rotten experience.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My golden puppy was attacked by a Rott at the dog park too....they did pay all the vet fees, otherwise they would have been taken to court. I hope your dog recovers nicely. It took mine about 2 weeks not to be afraid of big dogs, I hope yours doesn't suffer any damages as far as fear goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sorry for your boy, hope he gets better soon.
Just like anything else some people or for it others are not, I go hiking and 4 wheeling so she gets her exercise that way but I can't always get out of the city, and the park is a good way for her to have her fun.
Not all parks are the same though, I took her once around downtown where most of the people living around the park were young singles and it was obvious they were there to meet others more than for the dogs and I didn't feel like they were paying attention to the dogs, so I never took her back there.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
no, they're not right. that's an incident that happened
at your dog park. how do you know your dog got
kennel cough from the dog park? if you saw your dog
running to a fight why didn't you call your dog? i hope your dog
has a speedy recovery.

Nate really enjoys his time at the dog park, and we've never really had any problems. Until this month.
I'm just going to come right out and say it:

>>>> YOU WERE RIGHT, PEOPLE THAT TELL ME NEVER TO GO TO THE DOG PARK BECAUSE IT IS A DANGEROUS AND DISEASE RIDDEN PLACE. <<<<:headbang:

Nate got kennel cough about a month ago- that was fine. Went to the vet to be sure, got some light antibiotics, done. Fine.

Yesterday, Nate was attacked by a rottie. (Who was actually trying to fight with another dog- poor Nate tried to run and tripped like a goob.) After a few rounds of sedation and a liberal shaving, he has 20 stiches on his chest and a few on each side of his elbow.

Hooray for Vet insurance!

>>>> Boo irresponsible pet owner that can't control her dog.<<<<[/quote]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I am personally terrified of dog parks. I take my dogs to supervised play dates with trusted dogs, but that's it.

Raising my kids, I was picky about who they could play with. Same goes for my dogs. I pick their friends with care :)

Hope your boy has a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm sorry that happened, I hope he recovers quickly :(

There are two major dog parks in Ottawa and I used to go to the one near my old house which is smaller and quieter, never had a issue. Now I moved and it's the other larger park that closer and I don't really like it, too many "bad" dog owners in the front which unfortunately you have to walk through to get to the quieter trails in the back

I had to literally bop a rottie on the head a few months ago who was getting too aggressive with my poodle who was in my arms at the time. I pushed him away several times then he started to get mouthy so I made a fist and pounded him a good one on the top of his head, he backed off finally and walked away. Never saw the owner :roll eyes:

Delgado's still uncomfortable in big dog groups, it takes him a minute to warm up and play so I haven't taken him yet. There are some smaller less official parks nearby so I think I'm going to try those before heading to the big one

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'm so sorry you both had to experience that! :(

Teddy and I are frequent visitors to our local dog park, but I have learned NOT to go in the evenings or on the weekends. We go early weekday mornings, where 90% of the dogs (and owners) are everyday regulars that I've gotten to know, and when a strange dog does show up, Teddy and I move to a different area or leave.

I actually got in a verbal confrontation three times one evening with a put bull owner who wouldn't control her dog. The dog wasn't attacking Teddy, it was jumping frantically on my son and me (trying to get attention from us :( ). She actually denied that her dog did anything; of course, she couldn't see a darn thing with her back to her dog while texting. She never paid attention to her own dog! arrrrggghhhh I haven't been back in the evenings since then, but I was warned beforehand. Some of us gotta' learn the hard way, I suppose. :( If we can't get there in the a.m., Teddy is just outta' luck. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts