German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this happening? I have contacted a vet tech friend who says it is possible if needle misses intended area and hits spinal cord. She does not know if needle or immiticide causes actual paralysis, or if it is permanent.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
<span style="color: #3333FF">I haven't heard of it happening with heartworm treatment,but it seems like it could.

I do know of a man who was in the hospital and he had a procedure(I think a local anesthesia) they missed and he was paralyzed for the rest of his life.</span>

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anytime the integrity of the central nervous system is altered, there will be some sort of neuro insult. The severity of the insult depends on where and to what extent the spinal cord was injured. The central nervous system does not regenerate itself, so if there is an area of the brain or cord that *dies*, so it is. Activity can possibly be relearned, but the extent of relearned activity again depends on the insult. If medication happened to be injected into the cord, especially arsenic...that can be very devastating. The brain and cord are very unpredictable, I wish I could give you concrete answers, but there are none. I wish you well.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
i do know that on the heartguard it says in rare incidences it can cause this. i am not sure if it meant permanantly or temporarily.
are you sure thats what it was? there could be something else going on especially if it was sudden, like a tick?
or other nuerological issue.

debbie

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Was it right after the injection or weeks later...I would think if a few days or weeks after it could be a clot, that is one of the dangers when the worms are dying off and the body is absorbing them. I know that is why exercise restriction is important because while the body is trying to absorb the tiny segments of worms there is a danger of throwing a clot. Otherwise I would think it was a bad needle stick??

Is the dog completely paralyzed or is it one leg lame??

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I ask about the complete or one leg because we've had a dog throw a clot (not related to hw treatment) that lodged near hip, upper leg and he had loss the use of one leg for a while...it was very scary but the clot eventally was able to be dissolved and he regained use of the leg.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think it can. I had a lab/pointer mix foster we treated for heartworm and he moved and tried to fight right when the vet injected him during both injections. He stayed at the shelter those two days and I took him home the second night, the day after that he was very wobbly and a little lame/weak in the hind end. We think his response and fighting caused a lot of bruising and possibly the needle hit too close to the spine due to that. He was fine after a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts