German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i right in thinking the GSD or any dog should be kept to your Left whilst on the lead\leash??

i tried searching "left" in titles but to no avail:(

at the moment Rocco is very good at walking to heel

Noel\Rocco

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I usually just walk my dogs on whichever side of me puts me between the dog and the road. But usually Koda ends up on my left and Motomo ends up on my right when we're walking somewhere away from the road.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Left is standard at our police academy, but I don't know why. Maybe for showing/competing too? I do left because you're supposed to walk on the left side of the road and it's safer if she's not on the road side. Drivers will likely see me easier than they'd see a dog.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Left is standard at our police academy, but I don't know why. Maybe for showing/competing too? I do left because you're supposed to walk on the left side of the road and it's safer if she's not on the road side. Drivers will likely see me easier than they'd see a dog.

the interesting thing here if i took that thought he'd be on the right as we're on the other side of the road:laugh:

im thinking for shows and the likes.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
I read somewhere that back in the day, gentlemen wore their guns on their right side (because most people are right-handed) and led their dogs on the left, that way the dog wouldn't accidentally get shot. It turned into a tradition kind of thing and it's still used in "formal" dog situations, minus the gun.

I lead my dog on my right because I'm right-handed and just seems like the natural thing to do. My dog was also more comfortable on that side when I was leash-training him as a pup. Even if I switch him to the other side now, he seems confused and walks awkwardly. :)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
the interesting thing here if i took that thought he'd be on the right as we're on the other side of the road:laugh:

im thinking for shows and the likes.....
IF you go to your user CP and put in info like where you live that will help :) If people don't read your first post they won't know you are from Ireland :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read somewhere that back in the day, gentlemen wore their guns on their right side (because most people are right-handed) and led their dogs on the left, that way the dog wouldn't accidentally get shot. It turned into a tradition kind of thing and it's still used in "formal" dog situations, minus the gun.

i read that too.... and a very cool story, i suppose its only inportant if showing the dog which is correct to the judges:)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
If you are taking your dog for a 'walk' that means you want to exercise them and have them sniff and go pottie and enjoy the day. So they can walk where ever you don't trip over them and they don't get killed in traffic.

I personally hate the puppy/leash thing so I have my pups potty in the yard, and exercise off leash on trails...

For 'formal' obedience the walking on the left is a rigid and very specific position on our left side. This is never something we ask our dogs to do for a prolonged period of time.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Mine default to the left. But since I have 2, it is sometimes easier for 1 of them to be on the right. They cross over when I say other side. As long as they heel, I don't care which side.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i taught my dog to heel
on the right and left. if my GF
and i are walking together
our dog will walk between us (heeling).
our dog heels on or off the leash.

i can say "other side" and my dog will switch
sides. when we're in the woods and my dog
is off leash walking ahead i can say"other
side" and he moves to the other side
of the trail. the comes in handy when
joggers, horses, people walking, bikers, etc.
are approaching.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
on the left comes from the military, so you can handle your gun with your right hand, I would imagine its the same for the police

·
2,967 Posts
Left is appropriate obedience heel position, however in most German Shepherd dog shows I've seen the dog is supposed to be pulling into it's collar, usually ahead of it's handler. IN all breed shows where they don't really move out in front, they seem to be to the left. Someone who actually shows can correct me if I am wrong, but my impression was that this was to get the handler out of the picture, and place the dog closer to the judge as you never want the dog blocked from the judge by the handler....

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Left is standard for pretty much everything (police, show, Schutzhund, obedience...).

I use left for everything except agility (both) and biking the dog (right).

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
When I'm just out for a walk, I don't care what side the dogs are on, as long as they're not pulling (I frequently walk all three, so keeping all three on the left would be an interesting experience). When I'm working on obedience training, I have the dog (or dogs, when I'm working on "synchronized agaility" LOL) on my left. When I'm working on agility, I practice with both sides. When I'm working on skijoring, they're out in front.

·
Registered
594 Posts
AKC, CKC, and UKC obedience & rally competition require the dogs to heel on the left. Someone once told me that this originated by sport hunters: most people are right handed, and the sport hunter would carry and shoot from the right side; therefore the best place for the dog was on the left side. I have no idea if that's true, but it's kinda interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts