German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our puppy 3 days ago she's now 9 weeks old.The breeder was feeding her beta puppy so we also feed her this but she doesn't eat it out the bowl ? She'll eat off your hand and the floor .It can't be the bowl though because she drinks her water out of an identical one.If any can help it would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I had really bright stainless steel bowls, and Jonas would not eat out of them. I have ceramic bowls now and it seemed to help. He still has issues eating, but that is another story :) Maybe try ceramic bowl to feed with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our puppy also prefers to eat out of your hand or off the floor. We have stainless steel bowls, he's fine with the water but he's stepped on his food bowl a few times and it gave him a pretty good scare. Since the noise seemed to be the issue I started mixing in plain yogurt with his breakfast and a topper with his dinner. He eats it all just fine now. :)

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Careful that your puppy doesn't end up training YOU! ;) Maybe offer it and if they won't eat, take it up and offer it later (20-30 minutes). I wouldn't do anything I wasn't prepared to do for the next 10-12 years. As to the noise thing, I would start working on desensitizing against noises. Mine doesn't even notice fireworks, but if I see that there is something that he seems unsure of, I make sure he gets exposed to it a LOT until he no longer notices it.

Apparently he doesn't have a high startle reflex and is able to easily tune out noise ... particularly his mommy calling him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts