German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s better, the Dremel for nails or good old fashioned dog nail clippers? I'm getting my puppy soon and bought nail clippers but have heard some stuff lately about the dermal, what's so great about it?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Some (adult) dogs have very hard nails...some have softer nails so that with some dogs it's next to impossible in todays market to find a QUALITY pair of clippers that aren't dull after a couple uses....once again I'm not talking ALL dogs but I've owned a few that literally seemed to have toe nails as hard as steel and they turn clippers into garbage quickly...dull clippers are A) hard for the owner to use and... B) painful for the dog they really don't cut they pinch and squeeze....many of these guys won't show pain vocally but if you watch their face and eyes they DO feel it....

If you use clippers at some time or other you'll likely get into the quick which translates to a lousy experience for you and the dog....a Dremel is like a high speed file it's hard to hurt the dog unless you over heat the nail..... as a bonus you end up with a rounded edge that doesn't scratch your skin....nothing wrong IMO with using clippers on very young pups I still do that....regardless If you think you may go the Dremel route down the road because of the tools noise/vibration best to get them used to it early as a pup....less chance of a real phobia developing as an adult...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would train with both. I prefer clippers with my girl. She is well trained with them and will stand like a horse does for the farrier. That said, if I hadn't lost my dremel I would use it after the clippers to round the edges. I am quite comfortable in my ability to use clippers though.

I will say that if you do decide to use clippers, get the style that you hold horizontal NOT the vertical guillotine style

·
Registered
386 Posts
I like using a dremel the best. The rounded edges are nice and it seems less invasive for the dog. With my puppy, I am training with both so we switch off. The biggest thing is getting the pup used to his feet, eyes, ears and mouth being touch and inspected from an early age.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My least favourite obligation as an owner :(
My vet (since retired) would always let me have his groomer do his nails once a year when I was there for Spring checkup and that was enough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts