German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1 yr old doesnt listen to me in obedience class. he just wants to play with all the other dogs. my friend has a golden retriever in the class that he is absolutely fixated on. she sits a few chairs down and he will whine and bark NON STOP and pull trying to get to her. when we're up practicing heel and stuff he just looks in the direction of the other dogs. when i tell him to sit he has to sit facing this golden retriever. all the other dogs in class are sitting/laying still while the instructor is talking but mine is constantly barking and pulls in every direction.

we practiced "come" in class. we went one at a time. all the other dogs ran in a straight line to their owners. mine ran straight to the dogs. when there are no dogs around he listens to me very well. i can put him in a stay and walk 30 yards away and tell him to come and he'll come straight to me. but with dogs around he would rather play. how do i fix this?!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Desensitize. Go to the park, pet stores, etc. frequently (daily if possible) and just work on stuff he already knows at a good distance from the other dogs and do some look at that clicker training if possible when he is not fixating, but reacting calmly at the site of other dogs.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
This is one reason I like private sessions for puppies. How are you suppose to train with distractions? I would never personally do group classes with a new pup.

Work in private until obedience commands, or whatever you're working on, are down good and then slowly work in distractions. Plopping a super social puppy in front of other puppies and then asking him to learn how to learn is just asking for failure, IMHO.

Berlin is super social as well. What we've worked on, he is allowed to greet and interact with everything, however I call him frequently (its actually not a recall, it's an audible sound he's been trained to respond to by giving treats and praise when he does, much like a clicker). He responds, I treat praise reward, then allow him to greet/play again. My trainer said it perfectly, you will NEVER be 100% more interesting than your environment to your dog. Instead you must teach your dog that you are the window to the environment, through you and only through you will they be allowed to greet and play. That's why we work hard on very controlled interactions. Never allowing people to just come up and pet, same with other dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
And sorry, I know yours is not a "puppy". I should of made it clear, any new learning. Every trainer I've ever worked with (trainers largely specializing in working dogs, pd work, pp work, and protection sport) does private classes, and then group classes only to proof once it's learned

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
377 Posts
A 1 year old is still a puppy, just a BIG one.
As stated above train alone in order to establish that he knows what to
do, then add distractions.
My female is almost 4 and obeys well even with other dogs around,
however, there is one dog she is nuts about and when he is around
all bets are off.
With situations like that you have to anticipate his behavior and
quickly get him under control and focused on you. Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts