German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a dumb question, but I did not know that dogs / owners needed to have their dogs licensed.

Kira has 2 tags on her collar. One for rabies, and the other has her ID number from her chip, with a contact number.

Yesterday, I saw the park police giving summonses for unlicensed dogs.

Just sharing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Ohio...dogs must be licensed by end of January each year, price doubles here if you register late. I think it's around 20.00 per dog in my county(it varies by county) Years ago I forgot totally, and received a summons..ended up being about 75 per dog...:(

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
it depends on where you live. I live in a rural county - no license and no leash law. A few minutes down the road in town, they have a leash law but no license. Other cities have license requirements.
Just be sure to check where you live - city, county and state. For example, I'm daily surprised that even in this rural farming community, a lot of people don't know that it is legal to shoot a trespassing dog merely because the property owner has livestock. No requirement to wait and see if the dog is going to cause a problem or not.
I think that if more people researched these things we would have a lot less trouble.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
In Los Angeles County, I remember the animal control guys making annual neighborhood sweeps by going up to gates in backyards and making noise to see how many dogs came running, to check against the record they had of how many were licensed at that address, and knocking on doors when people didn't renew, to hand out fines. Where I live now, there's a rabies tag requirement, but no license.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yes, usually the cities and suburban towns have this. Most of the time its cheaper if the dog is fixed and they have to have their shots(rabies) to register. Most towns have a limit on how many pets you can have and this is a good way for them to keep track.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I live in NS, Canada, but we also have a license law... Diesel had her license and it was suppose to be renewed by the second week of January of course she passed away in November and a few weeks after I got a letter reminding me to renew, I ignored it seeing how she had passed, they actually called me and demanded proof that she was dead! Like that didn't didnt hurt at all GRRR ... So after that incident I will not be getting one for Penny, the reason they say that they need one here is that if the dog gets lost they can use the license tag number to get it back to the owners, sorry... but my dog has a rabies tag which I have added online with her information so there is the phone number to call as well as someone could go online to check by just putting in the number, as well as an ID tag, and a tag for her chip, Im sorry but my dog does not need another way to identify who I am I have 3 other pieces of ID on her already and I would take it to court and fight it if it gets to that but no one comes around to check, the only way they will find out your dog isnt licensed here is if someone calls AC on you and then they will check, but thats it

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I always forget to renew the basic license :eek:. I've never had AC knock on my door about it, but there's always a first time for everything. It was easier back home, as every vet office had forms and tags, so I when I'd remember to do it, I could fill it out there, pay for it, and be done.

·
5,627 Posts
Yup. It's only $8 a year here and like $38 for lifetime license if your pet is microchipped. I've never had anyone check though.

·
Registered
31,701 Posts
Yup. It's only $8 a year here and like $38 for lifetime license if your pet is microchipped. I've never had anyone check though.
same in northern PA. They put it in the newspaper when the dog warden will be doing checks to give you time to comply. We have had to pay a fine before for an unlicensed dog...many years ago

·
Registered
851 Posts
Our village is actually doing a 'dog census' this year. We got a letter in the mail about it a month or so ago. Fairly hefty fines for any unlicensed dogs. We had Jazz licensed just after she was spayed, as the license fee is cheaper for dogs who are fixed. The license fee here is $8 per year for fixed dogs (can't remember what it is for dogs who are intact). Unfortunately, the only option is yearly here ... no cut rate for lifetime or multiple year licenses.

This thread reminded me I have to renew Jazz's license this month actually :crazy:

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
In live in a politically liberal area, so there are various fees for licensing. All dogs need to have their rabies vaccination to get licensed.

$29/yr most dogs - seniors only pay a one time fee (not really fair in my opinion with public employees retiring with 90% of their pay)

$74/yr unaltered dog, seniors pay about 2/3 less

$0.00 service dog

Your dog will get impounded if not licensed.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I don't know the price for not sputtered, but here it was a dollar a dog and it just recently went up to 5 per dog for sputtered. With limited resources they don't care or check unless your dog gets into trouble. But I make sure all of mine are licensed anyway. The trick is finding someone at the shelter to give you a license. Most of the time there is no one there.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It's $10 for altered and $20 for unaltered.

I've licensed Shania every year since I got her so the city's got $120 out of me for her already. I was planning that now that she is 13 I'm not going to license her unless I have too and will ignore any reminders. However, when I was out walking a Swissy I was transporting for rescue last week the by-law enforcement van took it's sweet time passing us. Any other car and it would have been creepy. So I don't know. If they are going to start stopping people on the street...

My mother has yet to license her dog so the city doesn't even know she has her.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Here in Chicago the license is $5 a year for s/n dogs and $50 a year for intact dogs (less for dogs owned by seniors). They also have started cracking down on unlicensed dogs, and the fine has gone up to IIRC $200 for unlicensed dogs. They announced a few years ago that they would start cracking down, asking to see licenses on people's dogs and fining if they didn't have them.
They did start offering a 3 year license option recently, which you can get if your dog has a 3 year rabies vaccination certificate.

In the last several years they also went from a separate metal license tag, to an "emblem" as they call it, the license is now a sticker that sticks on to the dog's rabies tag. This is annoying because if the tag is hanging against other tags the sticker can easily rub off and become unreadable especially if they expect it to stay on for 3 years... I had this happen to my dog's sticker once. I emailed the city though and they replaced it for free so it was ok, just annoying.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
This is annoying because if the tag is hanging against other tags the sticker can easily rub off and become unreadable especially if they expect it to stay on for 3 years... I had this happen to my dog's sticker once. I emailed the city though and they replaced it for free so it was ok, just annoying.
I find that if you put clear tape on the tag it doesn't rub off. That was my project a month ago:D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I find that if you put clear tape on the tag it doesn't rub off. That was my project a month ago:D
Yeah I ended up just getting a little leather tag bag, and with all the tags in there it solves both the rubbing problem and the jingling, plus it holds the tags against the side of the collar so there's nothing hanging down to possibly get caught on things.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yes. License required. Under $10 if neutered/spayed. A bit more if not. Rabies certificate required.
I have all dogs licensed. I like to support the town coffers....:D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
And that's what it is; a tax on your animals.

Now if that tax is not being used for animal control (of course, that is self-perpetuating city department if you have an animal tax), dog parks, the local Humane Society or an animal shelter, I have a real problem with paying a TAX on my animals I've already paid for.

If none of the above apply, it's just another Government hand in your pocket legally stealing your hard-earned money.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If I visit chicago and they ask for a tag they arent getting it because I dont live there. And a cop has zero right to ask for my id to prove it. Another case of unenforcable rules. And the 3 year deal is just so they can spend tomorrows income today, Its not gonna work out well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts