German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a dog license for my golden retriever, she's 11-1/2. I've never been asked to produce one, have never needed one.

Can I get away with being this lax with a German Shepherd?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I rarely hear of anyone asking to see the the dogs lisence. But I do know if an officer asks to see it and the dog is not registered you can get a fine. I believe it's like 5 bucks or something to get one. Basically just another way for your state to make money :) I got one just to be on the safe side since I take her to a lot of public places.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I don't license my dogs. My county has tiered pricing depending on if your animal is intact or altered. With a steady stream of intact dogs coming in and out of my home, it isn't worth the money or time :)

But then again, we don't really visit "public places" too much. They have enough land at home for exercise, we hike in remote areas, we train on a large rural property and only really venture out in public during dog shows. No reason to get a license

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
All of my dogs and cats are licensed with the City, they're all spayed or neutered (other then Delgado) and they're all microchipped so it's fairly cheap. I figure it's one extra way to ensure they get home if lost and it's peace of mind if I'm out in public and randomly get asked

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would license your dog if you care about him.
Basically everywhere in the United states; local municipalities are operated by people who (in a general way) have less than average problem solving ability. It is because of this general inability to make good decisions that I would go ahead and buy a liscense.
I would never give these folks a perfect excuse to take advantage of me and my dog.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
In Ohio the penalty for late licensing is double the fee. Being caught without a license can mean higher fines. Voice of experience...:(

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I would license your dog if you care about him.
I must not care too much then :)

Animal Ordinance - Animal Ordinances - LouisvilleKy.gov fee schedule for my county. 50$/year for each unaltered animal. At one point, we had to buy an "unaltered" permit as well. It was well over 100$+ to license ONE unaltered dog. I have 2 unaltered dogs, one altered dog, will probably add another intact foster female and have an intact pup on the way. No way I will pay 200$+ EACH year to license my dogs. Not worth it. I could use that money to strap a GPS collar on my dogs and that would be infinitely more efficient in returning my dogs than an inept government institution. They are microchipped, tattooed and never leave my sight. Getting a useless license with the city doesn't mean I care any less about my dogs.

Just sayin' ;)

·
Registered
987 Posts
We're not required to liscense our dogs in the county I live in, but the counties around us are and I know that across the river in Kentucky they've passed some strict laws with big fines but I dont' know how heavily inforced they are.
I checked into it a couple years ago when I was showing a dog in Louisville.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Franksmom: You don't need a license if you are visiting. I think the grace period is 30 days. I have heard freak stories of Louisville Metro Animal Services driving around and asking for licenses from people on their OWN property. My dogs don't even wear collars at home. My vet told me of a case where a man and his dog were sitting on his front porch. Louisville Metro drove to the edge of his property, asked for license, no license was produced so the dog was confiscated and taken away by AC. At the same time, there are nutjobs breeding indiscriminately by the thousands and discarding them like trash. What about going to these areas and following up on distress calls? What kind of police state is this? I won't be giving in to these fear tactics. I am responsible, donate to animal shelters and volunteer my time. I love supporting animal related causes, but Louisville Metro has a terrible track record with shelters and animals. I don't need to support this broken system.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Has nothing to do with caring about your dog. That was a rude comment to make about others.

I have 3 dogs presently (still trying to accept that). Only one is licensed. The cost for the intact dog fee is $13 per year. You have to show proof of rabies vaccination. That is the original reason licensing was required, to ensure dogs were being vaccinated. Rabies is the only vaccine required by law for your dog to have. The licensing fees have escalated with the issuse of overpopulation in some areas, apparently.

Breed has nothing to do with wheather you should license your dog or not. Mostly you will be required to show proof of rabies vaccination and hit with an unlicensed dog fine if questioned. And then have to register every year from then on. In this tough economy, municipalities are looking for every way to save money or make it. Cutting back on animal control services and checking for licenses is probably one of them, but the fine could be quite high because of lack of money as well.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have lifetime tags for my dog and cats. It was only $30 each because they are microchipped. My city no longer offers that and it is now $20 a year for an altered dog.

I've never been stopped and asked to provide my dog license. My friend was but she had her dog offleash. She has a license and was only issued a warning. If she didn't she would have been fined.

I did call animal control when an off leash little dog chaced us while I was biking with Dakota. The dog was running on a fairly busy street. This was not the first time. As I had an address animal control checked the licenses. They had registered two dogs but they had three. Oh oh, they would be fined.

So even if you do not take your dogs out in public often, any neighbour could lodge a complaint and you would be faced with fines. I guess it depends on the cost/risk involved. I'm risk adverse so I follow the rules.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Franksmom: You don't need a license if you are visiting. I think the grace period is 30 days. I have heard freak stories of Louisville Metro Animal Services driving around and asking for licenses from people on their OWN property. My dogs don't even wear collars at home. My vet told me of a case where a man and his dog were sitting on his front porch. Louisville Metro drove to the edge of his property, asked for license, no license was produced so the dog was confiscated and taken away by AC. At the same time, there are nutjobs breeding indiscriminately by the thousands and discarding them like trash. What about going to these areas and following up on distress calls? What kind of police state is this? I won't be giving in to these fear tactics. I am responsible, donate to animal shelters and volunteer my time. I love supporting animal related causes, but Louisville Metro has a terrible track record with shelters and animals. I don't need to support this broken system.
What I was worried about is the paperwork from the show I entered said I must show proof of shots and that my dog was liscensed, and they could ask for this anytime, with most people at the cluster not being from Louisville I figured they'd want proof your dog was liscensed in your home area, this was right after they put the new laws into effect, and there were a lot of stories going around of what was being done.
When I went to try to get a liscense in my area I found out it wasn't required, I'd never liscensed one of my dogs so I didn't even know it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I must not care too much then :)

Animal Ordinance - Animal Ordinances - LouisvilleKy.gov fee schedule for my county. 50$/year for each unaltered animal. At one point, we had to buy an "unaltered" permit as well. It was well over 100$+ to license ONE unaltered dog. I have 2 unaltered dogs, one altered dog, will probably add another intact foster female and have an intact pup on the way. No way I will pay 200$+ EACH year to license my dogs. Not worth it. I could use that money to strap a GPS collar on my dogs and that would be infinitely more efficient in returning my dogs than an inept government institution. They are microchipped, tattooed and never leave my sight. Getting a useless license with the city doesn't mean I care any less about my dogs.

Just sayin' ;)

If you think this has anything to do with money then you are misunderstanding the real problem.
The problem is simply you are breaking the law. Obviously, this is the perfect excuse for a bunch of retards to take advantage of you, and if you dont think your animals will suffer because of it, then you are only fooling yourself.

·
Premium Member
11,132 Posts
I license my dogs - it is a LAW that you must license...not an option - and I would bet that is true everywhere. If someone complains about your dog - noise - poop - breathing!!!!!!! - then you have to produce both a license and proof of rabies...it is a $300 per day per dog fine if you get caught without it....

I don't like the control that AC has in my area and do everything possible to stay under the radar.....dogs do NOT go off my property unless in a vehicle....not even a walk around the block! Loose dogs, little kids dragging around dogs on leash, etc....just not taking any chances....the license requirement starts with 4 mo old pups...so they get them....

Lee

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's a monetary issue and an issue of principle. We break the law every single day with even riskier behavior (ever sped? ever sat behind the wheel after a glass of wine at dinner? ever texted or talked on the phone while driving?) so I'm not buying into that line of reasoning too much. I don't believe I need to pay useless licensing fees. What was the original motivation behind these fees? To make sure animals are vetted, contained and vaccinated for rabies, correct? Perhaps to make a bit of cash to support AC as well. My animals are contained, vetted property, have their vaccinations, and are cared for. I volunteer my time and donate money to shelters/rescues. Why penalize ME when there are significantly riskier cases to follow up on? Why waste time driving around looking for people to fine? Is this a good use of time and resources?

It's a silly statement to make that someone not licensing their dogs must not care about the welfare of his or her animals. And no, my animals aren't suffering, nor will they suffer in the least :)

If someone wants to come into MY property and remove MY dog, they can surely try. But you can bet that I'll have my lawyer on the phone and ready to go after this type of fear mongering. If it comes to it, I have no problem arguing and making my case. Sure, I could lose. I probably will. But I'll make sure every ear within shouting distance will hear about this type of lunacy. Just because something is the law doesn't make it iron clad or correct. Laws are changed all the time. Few years back, we had to have permits as well as licenses for intact animals (I forget the orginal costs, but it was around 100-150$ per dog). Now they've removed the permit requirement and changed the licensing fee (it used to be 75$+). Government is made up of "we the people". I will voice my concerns and continue to do so, but I won't be licensing my dogs. The high fees for intact animals was imposed in order to discourage accidental breedings and encourage speutering. Here's the flaw in the plan: the people who don't care enough to speuter or contain their dogs are also the same people who don't pay licensing fees. So what does that do? The righteous get penalized! Nah, I won't be giving into that type of flawed reasoning ;)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's a monetary issue and an issue of principle. We break the law every single day with even riskier behavior (ever sped? ever sat behind the wheel after a glass of wine at dinner? ever texted or talked on the phone while driving?) so I'm not buying into that line of reasoning too much. I don't believe I need to pay useless licensing fees. What was the original motivation behind these fees? To make sure animals are vetted, contained and vaccinated for rabies, correct? Perhaps to make a bit of cash to support AC as well. My animals are contained, vetted property, have their vaccinations, and are cared for. I volunteer my time and donate money to shelters/rescues. Why penalize ME when there are significantly riskier cases to follow up on? Why waste time driving around looking for people to fine? Is this a good use of time and resources?

It's a silly statement to make that someone not licensing their dogs must not care about the welfare of his or her animals. And no, my animals aren't suffering, nor will they suffer in the least :)

If someone wants to come into MY property and remove MY dog, they can surely try. But you can bet that I'll have my lawyer on the phone and ready to go after this type of fear mongering. If it comes to it, I have no problem arguing and making my case. Sure, I could lose. I probably will. But I'll make sure every ear within shouting distance will hear about this type of lunacy. Just because something is the law doesn't make it iron clad or correct. Laws are changed all the time. Few years back, we had to have permits as well as licenses for intact animals (I forget the orginal costs, but it was around 100-150$ per dog). Now they've removed the permit requirement and changed the licensing fee (it used to be 75$+). Government is made up of "we the people". I will voice my concerns and continue to do so, but I won't be licensing my dogs. The high fees for intact animals was imposed in order to discourage accidental breedings and encourage speutering. Here's the flaw in the plan: the people who don't care enough to speuter or contain their dogs are also the same people who don't pay licensing fees. So what does that do? The righteous get penalized! Nah, I won't be giving into that type of flawed reasoning ;)

Laughable.
You obviously have zero experience with the legal system. Do yourself a favor and call your lawyer today before you have a problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I license my dogs - it is a LAW that you must license...not an option - and I would bet that is true everywhere. If someone complains about your dog - noise - poop - breathing!!!!!!! - then you have to produce both a license and proof of rabies...it is a $300 per day per dog fine if you get caught without it....

I don't like the control that AC has in my area and do everything possible to stay under the radar.....dogs do NOT go off my property unless in a vehicle....not even a walk around the block! Loose dogs, little kids dragging around dogs on leash, etc....just not taking any chances....the license requirement starts with 4 mo old pups...so they get them....

Lee
You're in Pennsylvania, so am I. Your argument is compelling, for sure.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Laughable.
You obviously have zero experience with the legal system. Do yourself a favor and call your lawyer today before you have a problem.
Make assumptions as you wish. I stated my reasoning and if all you can do is make a nasty, thinly veiled jab, you haven't made a very compelling argument and certainly haven't changed my mind in the least. I don't feel like wasting my time getting entrenched in this childish argument, so this will be the end of my statements to you. Live your life, and I'll live mine.

OP: Weigh your options and decide what is best for yourself based on the (helpful/pertinent) responses.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts