German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was reading up on how to get a dog license in Watertown and they want to have the current rabbies vaccination and proof of spay&neuter for the dog license.

I AM NOT GOING TO SPAY MY DOGS just because the city wants me do it. How do I get out of that? I've been trying to google more info but the google fu doesn't like me.

Does anyone know more on that? Especially Indra is a potential breeding bitch and Yukon is a potential stud.

Do I need their papers from Germany? I am waiting for a second copy of Yukons papers and as long as I don't have his papers I can't get him registered with AKC.

So what do I have to do?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would call them. I've never heard of a town in NY requiring dogs to be speutered. Rabies vaccine requirement--yes. Nothing more.

Maybe if you are SAYING they are spayed or neutered they want proof.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You shouldn't need their papers from Germany.

Most municipalities will allow you to pay a higher registration fee for unaltered dogs. In the nearest city to me, the fee for an altered dog is $5 and the fee for an altered dog is $50.

If that's not the case, you really have 3 choices.

1) live outside of the city limits (like me!)
2) Spay/neuter
3) Don't license your dogs. The police aren't going to come to your house doing dog license inspections. They may ask to see your license tag if you're out at a dog park or some other place, but generally the only place you strictly need a license is if your dogs end up at the animal shelter. They won't give them back to you unless you license them.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know. I guess I have to call them tomorrow then.

Watertown, NY - Official Website

That is what it says:

Where do I get a dog license? Dog licenses are issued in the City Clerk’s Office for dogs harbored in the City of Watertown. Paperwork showing a current rabies vaccination and proof of spay or neutering must be presented at the time of issuing the license. Licenses are renewable each year.

We don't live in the city directly, we live outside of town on the land but are still part of the city, I guess?

I am not sure how that works.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
If you're outside the city limits you don't need to license your dog.

We live on land outside the city but our mail still says the city name on it. Therefore we don't have to follow city ordinances like pet licenses, fireworks bans, and rabies shots every year. But we still get to use the library. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
When I got Odin's NY license I just had to pay more since he's intact, where I am at least they don't require the dog to be fixed.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Well, we are waaay outside of city limits haha. So we should be fine then?
You should be fine if it's a city license and you're outside the city. If it's a license for the county or state of course that's a different story.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Like stated above, you only need the spay/neuter documentation if you state the dog is neutered. Otherwise, you pay the higher rate.
I have had 3 females over the past 35 years and live in city limits and I have never registered them. So far I have never been fined or stopped. But I am in Mass, not NY.

·
Registered
285 Posts
In my city they charge $8.- for spayed/neutered dog and $19.- for not fixed male/female. And yes, you can get dog license at town clerk. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Wow you guys are lucky not having animal control checking on dog licenses. Here in southern California especially Orange County they check every few years to see if your dog is licensed and if not they give you a few days to go do it and if you don't they will fine you and if you still don't get your dog licensed they will take your dog. You're even supposed to have your cats licensed but as far as the OC AC knows I dont have a cat ;) one year they came by and didn't have one if my dogs listed and were quite surprised that we had two dogs. I told them I sent the money in may and never received any thing tag or paper. They got upset with me telling me they were going to fine me then take my dog away. I was pissed. I even showed them the copy of the check and they still said they never received it. So I had to drive all the way down to their office report the officer and get my dogs license which I didn't have to pay for hehe. Oh and their records were wayyy out of date they went to my neighbor, asked for a person who didn't live there anymore if she had a dog. They thought she was hiding the person and the dog it was stupid.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Is this what you read? If so, don't worry about it. It only applies if your dogs are spayed, then you have to provide proof to get the reduced fee.

Watertown, NY - Official Website

Dog licenses are issued in the City Clerk’s Office for dogs harbored in the City of Watertown. Paperwork showing a current rabies vaccination and proof of spay or neutering must be presented at the time of issuing the license. Licenses are renewable each year.
New York dog License fees

1. The license fee for each dog license issued pursuant to subdivision one of section one hundred nine of this article shall be:
(a) two dollars and fifty cents for each spayed or neutered dog and seven dollars and fifty cents for each unspayed or unneutered dog licensed for one year;
(b) five dollars for each spayed or neutered dog and fifteen dollars for each unspayed or unneutered dog licensed for two years;
(c) seven dollars and fifty cents for each spayed or neutered dog and twenty-two dollars and fifty cents for each unspayed or unneutered dog licensed for three years.

not sure if this applies to you. I think it's for kennels, not private owners.

2. The annual fee for each purebred license issued pursuant to subdivision two of section one hundred nine of this article shall be:
(a) twenty-five dollars, if no more than ten registered purebred dogs or purebred dogs eligible for registration over the age of six months are harbored on the owner's premises at the time of the application;
(b) fifty dollars, if no more than twenty-five registered purebred dogs or purebred dogs eligible for registration over the age of six months are harbored on the premises at the time of application; or
(c) one hundred dollars, if more than twenty-five registered purebred dogs or purebred dogs eligible for registration over the age of six months are harbored on the premises at the time of application.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Holy crap. I've never lived within city limits anywhere, but I've never even heard of a dog license. Evidently Houston has one ($50 for unaltered, $10 for altered), but I have never heard of animal control coming around the check if people have renewed, and threatening to take a dog. I don't even think my county has dog licenses, that kind of thing probaly wouldnt be well-received anyway though.

·
Registered
604 Posts
No dog license? Seriously? I've never lived anywhere the didn't require one.
From what I can find (Google and county website), my county, Montgomery County, does not require a license. I live in Conroe outside city limits, but I can't find anything that says you need a license even in city limits.

The state of Texas only requires rabies shots, you just need the tags as proof. Harris County (Houston) requires licenses in the city limits. But I've lived in and around Houston my whole life, with dogs, so if I've never even heard of it here, evidently it's not a big deal aournd here.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
My sister lives in Conroe (and is also a nurse. :) ). I'll ask her later today if she's ever gotten a dog license. The fine for not having a license here is either $50 or $100. But they post it in the newspaper that the dog warden will be around so get all your ducks in a row. Plus, if the dog has a microchip you can buy a lifetime license (which is what my Jax has).

It's a good thing to have a license. If you dog gets lost and is picked up, they can trace the license back to you. Unfortunately, they don't keep track of the microchip number after you apply for the license so if the tag isn't on the dog then they can't tell.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts