German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, since I am a woman, I can say this: somewhere a woman had a hand in this!

I went to the courthouse today to get my kennel license. $55 for a kennel license and ten tags -- five at $10 each and 5 at $1 each, which is fine, really. But I get them, and they are green and in the shape of...

The STATE OF OHIO!!!

Do you know, the state of Ohio is kind of pointy!!!

And, The middle of the top of the state, is kind of down from the two edges where lake Erie is. THAT is where they put the teeny tiny hole for you to find something small enough to affix the pointy nasty thing to the collar!

So even if you FIND a key ring small enough to fit through the hole, it will get all tangled with the rabies tags etc -- that is when it is not poking holes in your dog.

I said, "uhm, they will hurt my dogs."

She said, "because it is pointy, yeah, someone else was saying that."

I said, "I have no idea how I will affix these to the collar, do you have any hooks?"

She said, "no, this is all we got, we did not get the hooks this year.

NICE!

Just nice. I will have to spend the next six months trying to find miniature key rings!!! And for what, so I can dangle a pointy state of Ohio cutesy license on my dogs' collars.

Forget it. I am leaving them in the envelope in my dog-papers. I will produce them when asked.

I think I am safe in saying that no guy (in his right mind) would buy the tag that looked like our state -- not unless it was half the price of the other tags.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't think it had to be a woman, I think it was just a moron.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You are right, I wouldnt put them on my dog collar either....

If they have a problem with that then oh well...

Wow I cant believe they did that.. I hope Florida doesnt do that...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Florida's would be horrible! Long, huge dangly thing. I wouldn't put it on my dogs. :/

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
and they didn't even give you hooks ?? CHEAP CHEAP!

I never put the tags on my dogs, they sit in an envelope, I don't recall ever getting one in the shape of our state either,,it's been hearts, bones, circles, rectangles,,nothing pointy thank god !

The only tags on my dogs are their personnel ones, and chip tags, which they wear if off property, good luck finding small rings for those things!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
ugh thats awful! i would file a complaint. I'd also wanna know who the genius was behind that disaster! no way would my dogs wear those!!! they should just stick with normal shapes for a dog. sheesh!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I NEVER put the tags on my dog, they ALWAYS fall off during his play times so they are kept on my key chain which is with me/us at all times (I live in an apartment so I need them to get in and out).

I've lost so many tags in the past year with Stark that now I just don't bother. I have had the by-law ask for my tags once before when a bunch of dogs were at the park playing (really nice guy too, which I was surprised about! I guess it helps that all of our dogs are well trained, socialized and have great re-call) and I showed him Stark's tags, I told them why they were on my key chain and not on the dog, his response, "good thinking, I seem to loose mine all the time too".

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Thats just dumb! Did they not think it would hurt the dogs? My dogs wear tags but they are shaped as bones.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
New York kindly provides dog licenses that are oblong in shape and have two holes, so they can be riveted to the collar. Or Zipstripped, if you prefer.

Why not just Zip-tie the Ohio ones to the collar? You can move them up so they're flat against the collar and won't poke any of the dogs.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
New York kindly provides dog licenses that are oblong in shape and have two holes, so they can be riveted to the collar. Or Zipstripped, if you prefer.

Why not just Zip-tie the Ohio ones to the collar? You can move them up so they're flat against the collar and won't poke any of the dogs.
That woud be a good idea, the ones we get here in KW, ON Canada are too small with writting on them so you can't do that. Good idea though, might be worth trying Selzer!

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A zip tie might work, I will have to find one small enough to fit through the tiny hole -- it is tiny, I am not kidding about that, but I am thinking that maybe I like the idea of them poking me and keeping the set of them in my pocket. My dogs are chipped, and their collars have rabies tags, chip tags, id tags, so the license will not make a big deal. I could make a tag that says, I have a licence but it has a moronic shape that I cannot wear.

Because it has just the one hole and the hole is lower than the top of the tag, kind of not quite halfway maybe 1/3 of the way down the tag, below the lowest point of Lake Erie, it will not lay flat on the collar no matter what I do.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
On this pic of Gunnar, you can see how I handle to tags.
I went to a hardware store (Lowes or Home Depot would also have the stuff)
I get a locking oval ring or link and then put the tags on that. It's way easier to change or update tags as needed.
You can also get different size rings and a split ring or ring pliers to put the ring on the tags. Our ACE Hardware has kits that contain different size rings and the pliers.

I just use 2 regular pair of pliers to tighten the oval ring so it doesn't come off. In the 10 or so years that we have been doing this, we have never lost a tag or a ring.
I put the oval ring through the leash ring on the collar and I always make sure not to hook the lead into the tag ring. Works great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I dunno.. I just wouldnt put it on the collar...

If you go out or for a walk maybe just carry it on you, or something like that...

I take Kola's collar off when she is inside, or when she is playing...

We havent gone to the dog park yet... not till after all her shots...

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Did they at least round the corners off like they did in the ones you posted?

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On this pic of Gunnar, you can see how I handle to tags.
I went to a hardware store (Lowes or Home Depot would also have the stuff)
I get a locking oval ring or link and then put the tags on that. It's way easier to change or update tags as needed.
You can also get different size rings and a split ring or ring pliers to put the ring on the tags. Our ACE Hardware has kits that contain different size rings and the pliers.

I just use 2 regular pair of pliers to tighten the oval ring so it doesn't come off. In the 10 or so years that we have been doing this, we have never lost a tag or a ring.
I put the oval ring through the leash ring on the collar and I always make sure not to hook the lead into the tag ring. Works great.

That is cool, but it is the key ring that attaches to the tag itself tha I will have trouble finding something small enough for.

The dog bones last year were tough enough, it seemsl like every year they are making these holes smaller. I always use key rings but I am at a loss here.

·
Registered
31,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did they at least round the corners off like they did in the ones you posted?
No, they are pretty pokey. The bottom of the state is sharp, and the one side at the top is pretty sharp. The other side at the top does not seem as sharp.

The engineering of this is criminal!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if it was a woman who picked the tags out... but you caan bet it was someone who doesn't have a dog. VERY impractical!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
That sounds about as dumb to me as changing the design on the penny. I wonder how many dollars were spent on that, and for what? To keep a penny interesting? It's also like our personalized state tag every time they re-issue another one it's color scheme and picture is more garrish. The point of getting a personalized tag is so I can put what I want on it. It's personalized by the letters/numbers, not the color and the flowers, animals, etc. the state prints on them. That costs money. Man, I think I'm starting to channel my parrents again.

This dog tag thing is even worse, because of the safty of our pets aspect of it. I agree, not a woman thing, definantly a moron thing!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Michigan licenses are the shape of the lower peninsula...a mitten! I just got my new tags yesterday, the color changes every year. I write the the dogs name on the back w/ a sharpie marker so I don't get them mixed up.
I put the tags on the collars but my dogs only wear those collars if we are off property. The rabies tags are in the shape of a flower and have the vet clinic info inscribed.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts