1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Wow... ive got plenty of deer near me and they always just run at the sight of someone. I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time lucy is barking her head off at a deer passing by. The deer must have had babies near and perceived the dog as a threat. That's the only thing i could think of.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
A buck wouldn't have protected babies. A doe would have. The buck was just being a male. He was probably in rut.

How sad. That poor boy to see such a terrible thing.

I saw a video once of a deer killing a dog. I pull Jax in if any deer show up in the back field.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Could have been a buck in rut???????

They have been known to be aggressive then.

I am surprised that the GSD was caught by a deer.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
That is sure strange they run from our dogs though now I won't be giving them the opportunity. I don't know what "rut" is, but an attacking deer is scary IMO. That poor boy must be traumatized now I can't imagine watching my dog be killed by another animal even as an adult that would impact my thoughts forever:(

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
it was most likely a buck in "rut"...this time of the year bucks are looking for females and they loose their brains..They will attack anything if in 'rut', and doesn't matter what it is,,I've heard of them attacking cars, people, hunters..they can get real nasty.

Poor dog, and poor boy who had to witness it:(

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
A buck came close to attacking my last gsd Omy- we came upon a ground of females and the buck on a trail and naturally Omy barked and ran towards them. The females scattered but the buck stood his ground, lowered his head and was ready to charge. Omy got the message and stopped but kept her eyes on him. Once he was sure we weren't coming closer and the females were gone he took off. Really surprised me and I'm so glad Omy knew how to handle herself.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Poor dog. One November I was hiking alone in the woods in Wisconsin. A HUGE buck came crashing out of the woods about 20 feet from me. This was the largest deer I've ever seen in my life.s He looked surprised to see me, but I slowly backed away and he finally decided to leave me, though not in any hurry. A male in rut can be very dangerous.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
One of my coworkers hit a buck once this time of year with his car. He got out of the car to see if the deer was salvagable and the deer promptly got up, chased him back to his car, and literally began attacking the car. If his wife and kids weren't with him I don't think I would have believed the story because it's so bizarre. But the car literally had thousands of dollars of damage done to it. And the responding officers made him do sobriety tests and drew blood because they didn't believe it happened.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
told ya'll! deer are crazy!!! another perfect example of WHY i hate deer. They're extremely dangerous. I feel bad Mango went out that way. No way to go for anyone.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Deer are nuts, I agree! 3700 dollars damage and one deer in Ashtabula County is out there with my license plate stuck to it.

Ok, probably the deer and my plate is gone for good, but deer get nuts this time of year.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
WHAT?!?! I had no idea Bambi had a dark side!!!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Deer are nuts, I agree! 3700 dollars damage and one deer in Ashtabula County is out there with my license plate stuck to it.

Ok, probably the deer and my plate is gone for good, but deer get nuts this time of year.

haha i just got this mental image of a deer running around with a license plate tied to his butt and getting pulled over and not being able to show license and registration.... (yes i'm tired lol)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
WHAT?!?! I had no idea Bambi had a dark side!!!

you think they run out in front of vehicles on accident?! Oh no.... they target! they plan accordingly. They're out to get all of us!!!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
So far six deer have had it in for me. They are the worst type of terrorists, they are suicide-Bambi's.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That's it!

Time to fill my deer tag:(

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
So far six deer have had it in for me. They are the worst type of terrorists, they are suicide-Bambi's.

they are horrible animals!!! The deer here..... you can SEE them grazing. they wait until you're ALMOST past them and THEN they run out in front of you. The MPs are always trying to scare them off but they keep coming back. I think they should have a dog team strictly for deer run off. stupid animals.

·
Registered
216 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts