German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Bandit
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11 month old licks his butt about every hour and has been for the past maybe 5 or so days. After he does if your close you can smell it and his breath will smell for a while after. The skin does have a light pink around it. Is this a anal gland issue or just normal maintenance?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
This is not normal.
Could be anal gland problem or food sensitivity.

·
Super Moderator
5,275 Posts
my gal-dog has been cleaning her rear more often as well. When the base of her tail was looking irritated and sore (which leads to more licking to try to sooth it), I put inflatables on her neck and some ointment on the sore spot. It is healing nicely and she is not prone to over clean it now.

But always, if in doubt, call your vet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 11 month old licks his butt about every hour and has been for the past maybe 5 or so days. After he does if your close you can smell it and his breath will smell for a while after. The skin does have a light pink around it. Is this a anal gland issue or just normal maintenance?
Use a probiotic, it works great for itchy butts, lose stools and smell! I get mine from the health food store and give it wrapped in a little peanut butter!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Use a probiotic, it works great for itchy butts, lose stools and smell! I get mine from the health food store and give it wrapped in a little peanut butter!
Great I’ll look into that! I do give Greek yogurt every morning but I’ll look into the supplements. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,214 Posts
I would go to the vet and get it examined. If it's an impacted anal gland issue, you may have the early stages of an infection and require medication. Anal glands have a very distinctive odor -- in this breed, they should empty themselves naturally when the dog's GI tract works well (every time they poop). When they're full and not emptying themselves, they stink, are uncomfortable, and lead to licking. If there's inflammation inside the GI tract, they aren't able to empty. The question is always why is there inflammation -- infection, food allergy, IBD, all of the above?

If there's an infection, the dog needs meds, not probiotics. If it's the leading edge of an impending food allergy, you may need veterinary guidance to help you navigate an elimination trial. If it's the start of anal fistulas, the earlier you intervene, the better it is for the dog.

The money you are thinking of spending on supplements that may or may not be the right thing would be better spent on a vet exam IMHO. Find out what's going on.

·
Registered
Koda German Shepherd - Missy - Cat
1 Posts
Anthony.
Do not waste any time make an appointment with your Veterinarian..
This could be the start of Perianal Fistula .
My girl started to lick herself, when I looked at her , she had small like cuts around her anus .
I made an appointment with with a vet that specializes in GS . I just moved three hundred miles from my old Vet .
Koda was fine 8 months before , she was spayed and had a complete physical before we moved .
Out of the dogs that get this , 85% ARE GERMAN SHEPARDS !!!!
Not to get you unnecessarily nervous, but this is very hard to cure . Koda is on anti immune drugs , pills , ointment and pain medication . I switched her diet.
This is not a fast cure if any .
Again I don’t want to sound like I’m crying wolf , but before you spend money on supplements etc , I think you should go to your Veterinarian for a checkup.
I wish you the best,
Peter n Koda

1 - 10 of 10 Posts