German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local news just cover a story regarding a family dog killing an infant. I think this is just a freak accident. The infant was 3 months young. The lady kept 9 dogs. It appears that all of the dogs were large. The video had a rottweiler and a few other mutts. They said she was giving one of the dogs a bath while leaving her 3 month old infant in the other room. She heard the other dog barking and ran into the room. The infant was already dead. I feel sad for the other 9 dogs because they said their fate is to be determined by next week. They are not sure which dog actually bit the child. They are taking all 9 in. The article states 4 rottweilers and 5 mixed breeds. I feel sorry for the other dogs. The dogs probably thought the infant was a toy and was a little rough.
This article reminds me of the other story in California where a pitbull bit off a kid genital.
Pet dog kills infant | Herald Sun

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That is just so sad.....

First off, 9 dogs while trying to raise a baby? 2, why on earth are the dogs roaming free when your eyes are not on the child who is in reach of the dogs?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
That is just so sad.....

First off, 9 dogs while trying to raise a baby? 2, why on earth are the dogs roaming free when your eyes are not on the child who is in reach of the dogs?

agreed. I trust my dogs and all but never EVER left my kids alone with them, especially that young! Anytime i had to leave my kids alone for evem a second, they always got put back in their cribs or the dogs were barred from the room. I feel bad for the mother because not only did she lose her child but she's most likely going to lose her dogs as well.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
Who does that? Who leaves eight dogs in a room with a baby in a swing while she gives another a bath? Those parents are a bit old to be acting like airheaded teenagers.

I understand having a group of dogs, but not leaving a three month old baby in a room with eight dogs. I have heard too many stories.

This does not bode well for any of the individuals involved, or even just present.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I would have put the baby in the crib. If you can't keep an eye on the baby, put it in a safe place where it can not be harmed. Its a really sad story!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
This is so disturbing and so tragic. We live in a rural part of TX where a lot of pitbulls and other fighting dogs are raised and it seems as though children are being killed at an alarming rate. One town, the city of Van TX, is trying to make it illegal to own a pit. Which is pretty ridiculous. I would never ever leave one dog, let alone multiple dogs, to have access to an infant.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a pitbull shes 7 years old now. She the nicest thing ever. She doesn't get along with other dogs though. She's really good with small children.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
agreed. I trust my dogs and all but never EVER left my kids alone with them, especially that young! Anytime i had to leave my kids alone for evem a second, they always got put back in their cribs or the dogs were barred from the room. I feel bad for the mother because not only did she lose her child but she's most likely going to lose her dogs as well.
Same here. I trust them but there is too much that can happen in just a second. Especially a child that young. If a dog is not used to seeing small babies, which most likley they were not if that was their only child and only 3 months, there is no knowing what the dog's reaction is going to be...

And how hard would it be to have crushed the baby if one of these large dogs decided to put it's paw on it and jump on the swing??

This is just so terrible....too bad some situations are too tragic to allow for a second chance... :(

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
tragic, yes it is tragic, but it is also ignorant. The baby is dead due to the mother's ignorance. Those rotties could have toppled a swing and landed on the baby just playing and killed it. What was in that woman's mind. She was left out on the maternal instinct gene.

I know this woman is probably beside herself with grief and the father too, but blatent ignorance, is still neglect. She neglected to protect that child. It will not do any good for them to throw her butt in prison, but what she did was criminal.

If you left a two year old in the front yard while you watched a soap opera, and oh wow, look it got hit by a car, shouldn't someone go to JAIL. Ah well, maybe I am just unreasonable. The poor baby. Who does that with a three month old. My sister's kid just turned one, and she would not leave it in a room with eight dogs alone.

I would be having it in its crib with the door shut. No dogs on the second floor, baby gate on the steps.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
tragic, yes it is tragic, but it is also ignorant. The baby is dead due to the mother's ignorance. Those rotties could have toppled a swing and landed on the baby just playing and killed it. What was in that woman's mind. She was left out on the maternal instinct gene.

I know this woman is probably beside herself with grief and the father too, but blatent ignorance, is still neglect. She neglected to protect that child. It will not do any good for them to throw her butt in prison, but what she did was criminal.

If you left a two year old in the front yard while you watched a soap opera, and oh wow, look it got hit by a car, shouldn't someone go to JAIL. Ah well, maybe I am just unreasonable. The poor baby. Who does that with a three month old. My sister's kid just turned one, and she would not leave it in a room with eight dogs alone.

I would be having it in its crib with the door shut. No dogs on the second floor, baby gate on the steps.

that just about covers it.... yup.... my dogs learned early on, they were not allowed to rough house and they had to be gentle. If myself or my husband wasnt there in the room, the dogs were gated away, in the backyard, crated or confined to a bedroom. I mean we brought my daughter home from the hospital, Zena would literally tip toe around her and go out of her way to take the long way to wherever in the house she was going if my daughter was in her swing or just doing tummy time on the floor. Despite her hips, if my daughter was closer to the exit of the livingroom and Zena wanted to go play or needed to move quickly to get outside for a potty break, she would jump OVER the back of the couch. I swear that dog is simply amazing. Absolutely wonderful with kids of all ages but even she knew the rules. There were just certain times that she and Riley would be confined. And baby gates were not allowed to be jumped without permission, example would be the baby gate that blocks the cat box from the dogs. They arent allowed over that gate.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
No matter how good a dog is with kids, I would never leave a dog alone with an infant. Even if the dog weighed 3 lbs. To me, that's just asking for trouble.

A while back, there was someone who left their baby while she went to the bathroom or something, and when she came back, her Chow Chow bit the baby's head (I think it was 2 or three weeks old) and killed it. She only left for a minute, but that's all it took.

But to leave a baby in a room with eight BIG dogs? That's just a disaster waiting to happen. No matter how good those dogs are with kids. They could have just jumped up and knocked it over or hurt the kid regardless. I don't think dogs and babies mix when unattended.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sad, sad story. :(

No matter how good a dog is with kids, I would never leave a dog alone with an infant. Even if the dog weighed 3 lbs. To me, that's just asking for trouble.
Agreed. I don't have a link to the story, but a while back, there was a story about a mom who left her baby laying on the bed and walked into the bathroom. She hears a scream, comes back to find that her Pomeranian had bitten up the babies face.

·
Registered
32,034 Posts
And the one where the father left the newborn on the bed with the six pound pom (I think), to prepare some formula, when he came back the dog had killed the baby.

Too many stories to leave a three month old kid with a dog much less eight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Such a heartbreaking thing to happen. I would not want to be the parent whose ignorance brought about the death of their baby. I don't think I could live with myself.

I'm torn between anger at the parents and extreme pity for them when I hear about things like this. Not just with dogs, but the parents who leave their babies in hot cars, whose babies drown because they stepped away for just a second and all those other tragic endings that could have been so easily avoided. They paid a terrible, terrible price for their ignorance.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Such a heartbreaking thing to happen. I would not want to be the parent whose ignorance brought about the death of their baby. I don't think I could live with myself.

I'm torn between anger at the parents and extreme pity for them when I hear about things like this. Not just with dogs, but the parents who leave their babies in hot cars, whose babies drown because they stepped away for just a second and all those other tragic endings that could have been so easily avoided. They paid a terrible, terrible price for their ignorance.
I do not feel sorry for people who leave their babies in the car and they die because of it. A baby isn't going to die if they're left in the car for 30 seconds. It takes a while for a baby to die if they're left in a hot car. I couldn't imagine being baked to death like that. It it just stupidity. There is NO excuse for leaving a CHILD in a car long enough to BAKE to death. I also live in Arizona where it's common to get 110 outside during the summer, so it gets pretty toasty in the cars.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I do not feel sorry for people who leave their babies in the car and they die because of it. A baby isn't going to die if they're left in the car for 30 seconds. It takes a while for a baby to die if they're left in a hot car. I couldn't imagine being baked to death like that. It it just stupidity. There is NO excuse for leaving a CHILD in a car long enough to BAKE to death. I also live in Arizona where it's common to get 110 outside during the summer, so it gets pretty toasty in the cars.

agreed.

i think i'm going to stop reading this thread because every time i do, i start crying. I couldnt imagine anything happening to my kids. My kids are my world and as much as i love my dogs, you better believe that if they ever did anything to severely injure one or both of my kids or kill them.... the dog wouldnt take another breath. I know that sounds harsh coming from someone who counts her dogs and cats as adopted kids, but fact of the matter is my skin kids come first. i'm gonna go hug my babies now.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Stupid mother, poor baby. You should never leave a baby unattended with a dog, no matter how well trained the dog is. Especially if the baby is that young.

Some people should not be parents. Anyone who leaves a baby in a hot car is just plain stupid IMO.

·
Registered
728 Posts
And now of course Rottweilers will once again be the villains, which is unfortunate. People can be so mind numbingly ignorant and stupid that it boggles the mind - so your dogs are nice, friendly even, "trustworthy" - that's all fine and dandy, but a huge dog with the best of intentions can still kill a small child!

People need to consider a lot before they bring a child home - all of the sudden two come home and become three, completely out of the blue. But this third stranger is abnormally small, smells weird, barks loudly and all of the time without reprimand, goes potty indoors, sucks up all of mommy and daddy's time and attention, eats all day long when you only eat twice, pokes and prods you too hard, pulls your ears and tail - need I go on? It should be obvious to new parents with dogs that this is a potentially deadly situation! Keep the animal AWAY from the baby, how hard is it to shut a door or erect a gate or crate the dog!? How many more children AND dogs need to die before SOMEONE gets a clue?!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
And now of course Rottweilers will once again be the villains, which is unfortunate. People can be so mind numbingly ignorant and stupid that it boggles the mind - so your dogs are nice, friendly even, "trustworthy" - that's all fine and dandy, but a huge dog with the best of intentions can still kill a small child!

People need to consider a lot before they bring a child home - all of the sudden two come home and become three, completely out of the blue. But this third stranger is abnormally small, smells weird, barks loudly and all of the time without reprimand, goes potty indoors, sucks up all of mommy and daddy's time and attention, eats all day long when you only eat twice, pokes and prods you too hard, pulls your ears and tail - need I go on? It should be obvious to new parents with dogs that this is a potentially deadly situation! Keep the animal AWAY from the baby, how hard is it to shut a door or erect a gate or crate the dog!? How many more children AND dogs need to die before SOMEONE gets a clue?!

sadly.... far too many

1 - 20 of 48 Posts