German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we have these people currently living with us and their dog is currently in labor. Mixed breed, God knows who daddy is......

Just as I suspected, despite the fact I've delivered many litters, they are the know-it-all family and my advice is never right. The first puppy took 1.5 hours to get out (Kept popping out and then being sucked back in), was born breech and even though I said we needed to pull it out 3 times it wasn't until they called the moms sister (vet tech) who also told us to pull it out that they actually listened. But I'm not the one allowed to do it even though I've removed MANY puppies. The unexperienced 17 year old is to do it. Thankfully the puppy came out because she was going to just pull out a breech puppy. :shocked: And I mean PULL IT OUT. The head on the puppy is MUCH bigger than moms vajayjay and I'm surprised the puppy even came out.

I picked the puppy up to check it out and get yelled at by the 17 year old that if I touch it she wont take care of it because her first litter died and they touched the puppies. :headbang: So much for biosensor exercises, I'm sure those will kill the puppies too. Here comes another batch of messed up puppies because they wont have human contact for quite a while.

They also have NO supplies. They wouldn't even get a $1 nasal sucker because "she did fine with her last 2 litters". She is currently giving birth in MY dogs wired kennel because the only other option is a $300 bed spread or our white carpet. Which the 17 year old wanted but it's going to be bad enough already when my mom and her boyfriend find out the dog is having puppies, if their stuff gets messed up they are going to be FURIOUS! They didn't want them to bring Gizmo (mom) in the first place.

Now mom is in labor with the 2nd puppy and the 1st is off to the side, screaming (Probably cold considering the temp of this room) and I'm not allowed to remove the pup to put on a heating pad while mom deals with this next baby.

My headache is increasing. :help:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ummm...idk what to say. Who are these people living with you? The puppies are going to die if they keep being so ignorant. Do they know that you have delivered many puppies already?

A mixed breed in labor who already had two litters? that's sad on the part of those owners....and sad for all the dogs in shelters

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
thats ridiculous!!! I say your house, you do what you feel is necessary. ESPECIALLY since you have the experience to back it up. and smack the **** out of the 17 year old!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Grrr!! Your house, not the 17 year old's. The pups are going to be damaged or die if her feelings are considered to be more important than the mom and pups' welfare. You know what you are doing so kick her off and finish the job, deal with fallout later.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She delivered 3 beautiful puppies. They're fat, active and seem healthy. Mom is doing a great job with her new babies. She (17yo) is gone for the night to a friends house so it'll be easier to keep an eye on mom and pups. They are my moms, boyfriends family. His sister and her 2 kids. So I'm in a tough spot when it comes to saying something, added to the fact it's not my dog.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
No, it is not your dog. Not your house I am guessing either. Probably just have to watch and wait. I think it is best to touch the puppies, hold them and pet them so long as the mother doesn't stress over it. The worst thing would be to stress her out, but it does not sound like that is the problem.

So maybe you can sneak pets when no one else is around? It is in their best interest. I don't know. You do not want your folks angry with you.

When you originally said "Pull it out" I was literally putting my foot to the floor trying to put the brakes on. But it sounds like when you say "pull it out" it does not mean the same thing as what the 17 year old girl was going to do.

I do not like them being in a crate. But it is really not up to you.

As for the heating pad, well, my vet told me that heating pads are one of the worst things people do with puppies. So I have always not used one. I use a small soft side, top loading pet carrier or pet bed with extra towels in it, and set the puppies in it while the bitch turns around having the next pup. Too much liquid in the process. Once the dam has the pup and is cleans it up, I will put the others back with her. Then she usually lets me finish up the new pup, weigh it, write down the vital statistics, put rick rack on it and put it down to nurse.

The pet carrier/pet bed works nicely for days every time I want to clean the box.

They have done this twice before, but have no idea what they need or the supplies they need.

I take it they are living with you all because they have some type of financial problems? It was nice of your folks to let them bring the dog. It is not the dog's fault that her owners are making poor decisions.

No good advice for you. Sounds like you have experience with whelping and such. Family can be pretty exasperating at times.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Maybe the first litter died because the owners had no clue as to what they were doing. Mom probably suffocated them because they were in a crate vs a whelping box. Can you get a kiddie pool for them? That would be much better than that crate. Fingers crossed this litter is healthy and can find great forever homes. At least they have you looking out for them.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You said vajayjay, ROFLMAO okay I've had my Oprah moment for the day,lol So you live with your mom, her bf, his sister, and two of her kids- wow I'd be stressed too. Obviously intelligence forgot to run on the bf's side of the family, but as long as the momma and pups are doing well it sounds like things will be okay.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Well, I thought of a kiddie pool, but that will not keep momma from moving the puppies over the white carpet onto the bedspread. If you had a good baby gate, and a kiddie pool, I think that would be better, but it will not stop a bitch from suffacating a puppy. You need pig rails for that.

None of this stuff is really hard or all that expensive, but it takes planning. And it might be one of the things your mother's bf's sister needs improvement on.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since she is in school during the day and her mom FINALLY got a job, I do plan to sneak in cuddles when they aren't home. I've already snuck pictures in. It's just annoying the fact they don't want the puppies touched.

And when I say pull them out, I don't mean I was litterally going to pull them out but try and help open the vaginal area so the puppy can slip out easier. She on the other hand was going to grab it half way up it's belly and pull! She thinks the idea of touching her "cooch" is nasty. Thankfully the puppy came out before we had to do anything.

I don't have much options for where to keep them right now since they wont pay for anything and I just lost my job over a stupid Facebook post so I don't have money either.

They are planning to keep the 2nd puppy :)headbang: They're also getting a GSD puppy as soon as they move out) and 2 friends from the girls school are planning to take the other 2 pups. If that goes through, I don't know but we'll see. I found a program at our local SPCA where they give certificates for people to get $20 spay and neuters. There is a 4 pet limit per household, and I'd be willing to pay for the 2 other puppies (I should have another job by the time they're old enough to rehome. I'm not crazy about the idea of fixing an 8 week old puppy but I feel like it's a much better choice in this situation than hoping their new homes are responsible) if they'll pay for mom and the puppy they plan to keep. Hopefully we can prevent future litters.

@ Zoeys Mom - Add to that their dying mom/grandma. It's VERY stressful.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I feel absolutely BAD saying this, but handle those puppies all you can while they aren't looking.

I think you are right about the speuters. The only way to be sure they will not be bred, is to have them speutered. I would not just offer to do this for them though. I would get them on board with it. I would tell them that you want to do this for their Christmas present, spaying mom and pup or the two puppies, whatever makes sense.

It is a temporary situation. Try to make the best of it whenever you can. And when you cannot go to your screaming spot and let out a good one. In the car usually works pretty good.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, today I found out they're wanting to keep not 1 but ALL 3 puppies. She DID say she was planning to get the dogs fixed (Including mom) but I really don't think keeping all 3 puppies is a good idea. I don't think keeping ONE is a good idea since they're also wanting to get their Boxer/Bulldog that they left in GA with a family member back PLUS the moms "boyfriend" is sending the daughter a German Shepherd puppy when they get out. :headbang: That would leave them with -6- dogs, 4 of them being puppies, 1 of them being a HARD breed.

On the other hand, my mom and her boyfriend have gotten quite fond of the little boy...Who happens to also be my favorite. :wub: So nothing is for sure yet but we'll see how this turns out. Lol! Of course when the mom and I were talking about it, the 17yo was like "NO! We're getting out of here and we're keeping ALL the puppies!" and when her mom said they might not keep them all she got mad because she "didn't get to keep any of the other puppies from her last litter"....Of course SHE isn't the one who has to pay for the vet bills, food, clean up supplies for raising/potty training 3 puppies, ect but she only thinks of herself.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And I think it's more so not wanting ME to have one more than the idea of getting rid of them. Because obviously I'm not fit to have dogs. I only feed my dogs grain free food, high quality canned food and raw, get full bloodwork done on my dogs every year for early detection of health problems, HW test 2-3x a year, exercise my dogs regularly, spoil them with dozens of different types of treats, take my dogs pretty much EVERYWHERE with me so they spend a LOT of time with me, I keep up with regular grooming, there would be 2 other dogs to play with plus friends/familys dogs my dogs have playdates with, dozens of toys to play with, ect. The pup would have a GOOD life. My animals are my children, nothing is too much or too expensive for them when it comes to their health and happiness for a long life. But because she doesn't care much for me, I'm sure that's why she doesn't want me to have one. She'd rather give it to someone who doesn't walk the dogs, never takes them to the vet, feeds Kibbles N' Bits, doesn't socialize the dog to people/animals, works all day, ect just because they're NOT me.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Uhm, after week three or four, the idea of keeping them all might change.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, mom is all dried up. It explains why the pups have been crying so much the last couple of days, they're probably starving.

We'll see what happens because I know they're not going to accept my help in feeding them and I also know she isn't going to take her lunch break to come feed them, the daughter isn't going to take the time to feed them after school and I know they wont be up several times during the night to feed them. And they're going to end up eating spoiled formula because she's so lazy about coming up and down the stairs that she is planning to mix the formula in a gallon jug of water and keep it in her room (No refridgeration) to feed them. :headbang: These puppies are going to die very slowly and very painfully.

I can almost guarentee you she dried up because she wasn't eating and drinking enough. She was fine until I stopped feeding her and making sure she was drinking water during the day, because they started yelling at me about touching their dogs. She has to be HAND FED in order to get her to eat and to get her to drink enough water you have to mix a little canned food in water to get her to drink it. They weren't doing any of that. I wouldn't be surprised if mom herself hasn't had a full meal in 2-3 days, much less getting multiple feedings during the day.

And they think they know what they're doing because they hand fed 4-5 week old puppies from her last litter. There is a HUGE difference in 1 week old puppies and pups who are 4-5 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I don't understand why they are acting this way toward you at all or even why it is being tolerated. They are guests in your mom's home. You have more right to be there then they do. I think it was VERY generous of your mother to allow the dog and her puppies stay. A lot of people might not have done that. Honestly if someone was treating my kid that way, who is only trying to help, they would be out the door. The dog and puppies could stay though.

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
I agree w/Dharmasmom~I would be pulling those pups and saving them & the poor mom. How can they just let them dehydrate and die? Animal cruelty, IMO.
If they say it is just "nature taking its course" then it truely shows how ignorant they are.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My mom wants them out, she's sick of it. It's not just about the dogs but about EVERYTHING. But my mom doesn't have the heart to kick them out. They've done this (moved in, said they'd be out soon and then took advantage of what they were given) before to moms boyfriend when he was married to his now ex-wife. Only his ex-wife had NO problem kicking them out. She can't save her money so she really doesn't have a way out. Moms boyfriend (The womans brother) is now going to start taking her paychecks and only giving her a small amount for cigerrets (Ridiculous that she can afford to smoke a pack a day ($6) but complains she can't give her kids lunch money each day!), personal hygeine money (ie. female products, shampoo, ect) and a small amount of "free" money (They like going to HS football games each Friday so that would go towards something like that) and putting the rest in an account she can't get to so that they CAN get her out of here. Otherwise she's going to end up spending her money each week and have nothing left to put towards moving out. Unfortunatly with this budget he's made up for her, it still means it's going to be December before they get out. :headbang:

I'd say I'd report them if something happens but I don't want MY dogs taken away if Gizmo/pups was to be removed since it's all in the same house. Could they do that? Could my mom and her boyfriend get in trouble since it's their house that the abuse took place in and everyone (5 adults including me (19) and the as of today 18 year old daughter) knows about the situation?

I don't even know what to do or think about the situation. I feel awful for the puppies. They were so loud last night I could hear them through 2 different closed doors (mine and theirs) from across the hall. :( If the puppies were older I'd just soak some kibble and wet food for them but formula is expensive and I'd be questioned if I made homemade formula and then REALLY bitched because they'd probably tell me I was trying to kill the dogs and she's crazy enough to sue me if the puppies died when I was feeding them something not "made" for dogs. (But of course Beneful is "quality" nutrition to raise your dogs on. :rolleyes: Nothing unhealthy for dogs in THAT stuff!)

One thing they ARE doing right is now trying to get liquid into mom. (Problem is, she needs it just about as often as the pups and neither are getting it as much as they should) They're giving her the formula too which she actually drinks really well. Of course by tomorrow, it's not going to be good anymore but at least it's something in her today... :/

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im sorry about all the issues youve been having.
How are the pups doing? How is mama?

I know how annoying and frustrating it is to not be listened to etc. My animals are my kiddos too... they are treated very well, I have 2 pups, 2 kitties, 2 lizards, and 2 birds and my husband and I are getting a GSD pup in November. My mother currently lives with us and she doesnt understand why we do certain things (little dogs have their own room for when I cant watch them, and for bed time) the birds are on a feeding schedule, as are the dogs, the cats dont eat people food, the lizards eat twice a week, and the dogs get crated occasionally. She wants to free feed and over feed everyone along with let them all run wild 24/7... I am truly hoping she moves out after my GSD comes home. Luckily she will be in my bedroom, with her crate when I am not around so no worries of being let out, or fed extra/wrong things. It is very frustrating when ppl don't listen and think they know better than you.

I hope it all works out, and I hope the pups are all okay :(

-Jess

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I think that a resident in a house, can report another resident in the house for cruelty. If your dogs/animals are not starving or otherwise neglected looking, I cannot see them giving you a hard time.

I think that the homeowners CAN be in trouble if they do nothing about the dogs starving to death in their home. I do not think they will get in trouble for calling animal control on their "guests."

But I am not an expert. If I tried to talk to them or help, and they are unable to do what needs to be done, and are allowing the creatures to starve. I would call the dog warden in a heartbeat. Starving is animal cruelty.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts