German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She is 11 months old, spayed. I have noticed that her behavior is starting to chage for the worst, she started pulling on the leash even though wearing a prong collar, she started chasing cats even though she was trained to leave them alone.... she was an angel before and now ever since spring she is going crazy. I increased her exercise, still nothing, I am working on her and its ok I will do more training obvisously, now my question is this. I work in the garage with my husband, we use tools and sparks are flying so its too dangerous for her to be hanging out with us.So she must stay in the house. Although if I let her stay she starts to destroy stuff, whines, barks, scartches everything.... I try to ignore her whining, she does even worse things.... She decided to jump on the door and accidently locked us out of the house.... good thing we have a drill and we had to drill the lock out... now we have to buy a new lock. So, obvisousely she must me in a crate... so today she is in crate, exercised, ate her dinner, pooped basically ready for a nap. I go in the garage, she starts going insane, whining for HOURS, barking, after 30 minutes of non stop barking I come in the house to let her out in the yard, she comes back in I told her to go back to crate and she did... I go back in garage, she starts going nuts again, I come in after an hour of her whining, let her out she goes on the couch, lays down falls asleep. I really hope its not a case of separation anxiety, she only does it if I am in garage not my husband. She behaves good when we both leave, so I understand that she just wants to be with us. How do I help her be calm in crate while we are working?She doesn't care for toys in the crate..

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Tough one.

Not sure what the experts would do.... But I would probably put her crate in the garage, then gradually works its way to where you want it. I wouldn't give her the privilege of being able to roam free. Maybe the noise of the power tools, is what's raising her excitement level.
I know Kira will always investigate a loud noise. I was recently hitting my heavy bag in my garage. At one point I hit it so hard, it sounded like a firecracker. She came running down, and was all huffed and puffed up. Needless to say, noises have an effect on some dogs.
Maybe she needs to be desensitized.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She heard that noise ever sense she was 2 months old so I know it's not that. And impossible to have crate in garage it's not safe for her and i dont want her to get used to be with me 100% of the time..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
She heard that noise ever sense she was 2 months old so I know it's not that. And impossible to have crate in garage it's not safe for her and i dont want her to get used to be with me 100% of the time..

She's heard the noise, but never experienced the noise. Just a guess.... Maybe the noise is a perceived threat to YOU. She's older and may see things differently than she did as a puppy.

Can you put her near the entrance of the garage for a little bit? Not looking for you to keep her in the garage, just letting her get close enough to investigate, then work her way out of the area.
Just a guess.

Another example:
I was in my LR, and Kira was in another room about 40 feet away. I found an old retractable baton. In order to open it, you have to "snap" it open like a switchblade. I was in the LR, when I snapped it open. Kira came charging from 3 rooms away to investigate. As soon as she saw that all was well, she turned and walked away.
My dog reacts to sudden noises, especially when those noises are near me. She WILL come see what the ruckus is every single time.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
She was in garage with us couple of times she didn't care about noise. Here is a pic of her View attachment 57602

That's it!
She wants to work with you.. LOL

Something is obviously causing her to want to be where you are.

Have you tried removing her from the house, while you're in the garage?

Maybe put her in the back yard, and see if you get the same reaction. Let someone watch from your back window, while you make the noises in the garage.
See if she changes her excitement level only when you use the tools, or only when you leave her presence.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Backyard not gonna work she scratches the fence trying to get attention and waking the neighbors. We work at night due to our schedule... Here is her sitting pretty ImageUploadedByPG Free1365861839.014855.jpg

Let he in garage she is an angel. Put her in the house and she will destroy it.
I am very much hoping its just the spring fever!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
How about a tall gate, so she can see you in the garage?

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
OK, .... after reading your latest replies, there's a lot more to this, than her going crazy ONLY when you're in the garage.

She has other issues, and this is just one of them.

Scratching the fence, destroying the house, waking the neighbors....

All connected to the end result.

IMO, You need to start doing some serious crate / separation training. Others around here, know some very good crate training techniques, to show your dog that a crate is a happy place. IMO, that's a good start.

Just to share...Here's what I did. This may help with your crate issues:

I used to put Kira in her crate in random spurts throughout the day. I gave no reason or connection to what I was doing, other than to let her know it was "crate time" because I said so. I then added time as time went on.
To this day, her crate is her haven. She loves it, and will never balk at the idea of going in there.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No she loves her crate and goes there by herself.. Been doing that since 4 months and she destroyed stuff only when I'm in garage. I wish it was that simple as crate training :))

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
No she loves her crate and goes there by herself.. Been doing that since 4 months and she destroyed stuff only when I'm in garage. I wish it was that simple as crate training :))

But you said she whines / barks for hours in the crate.

She doesn't like it as much as you think.

She only likes it, when SHE decides to go in.
You MUST change that rule.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because I'm in garage. As soon as I come in the house and say watch TV she will stay in get crate like nothing ever happend. Ugh. She it tricking me to take her in the garage. She looooves her crate and knows its her zone. She sleeps there every day and most of the time whenever she takes naps during the day

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Because I'm in garage. As soon as I come in the house and say watch TV she will stay in get crate like nothing ever happend. Ugh. She it tricking me to take her in the garage. She looooves her crate and knows its her zone. She sleeps there every day and most of the time whenever she takes naps during the day

So she only barks in her crate, when you're in the garage? Otherwise, you can go to other rooms etc...?

Will she bark if you crate her, and go to another room or outside?
Or just when you use tools in the garage?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Other rooms too because she wants to follow me everywhere. If she can follow me then she is happy. Last week I put my camera and left the house to see what she does when I am away, she laid down and fell asleep in her crate. The problem is that she knows I'm near by and she wants to hang out with me instead of being alone. And if I let her out of crate she destroys the house tying to get my attention. She is a good girl whenever I put on my shoes to head out the door to college and etc she goes in her crate without me even saying a word... now only if she could be quiet while we are trying to work..

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Other rooms too because she wants to follow me everywhere. If she can follow me then she is happy. Last week I put my camera and left the house to see what she does when I am away, she laid down and fell asleep in her crate. The problem is that she knows I'm near by and she wants to hang out with me instead of being alone. And if I let her out of crate she destroys the house tying to get my attention. She is a good girl whenever I put on my shoes to head out the door to college and etc she goes in her crate without me even saying a word... now only if she could be quiet while we are trying to work..

Now, this is a better description of what's really going on. It has nothing to do with the garage. It seems to have more to do with separation anxiety.... and her knowing you're within striking distance.
Very interesting.

This is something I've never had to deal with, therefore I can't offer advice from prior experiences.

I'm hoping others will chime in and help you.

Sorry, I tried :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will post updates on how she is doing. I'm thinking couple of days of just ignoring her whines and see what happens. Dogs are like kids! So complicated sometimes :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts