German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, due to the great advice here, I purchased PetPaws insurance for Pumpkin.

Unfortunately, it's because when we returned from vacation, I noticed he had a slight 'catch' in his gait, particularly going uphill (and his left rear leg seems to tremble a bit, at times). And, he is hesitating climbing over things and bunny hops down the stairs...things he has never done before. Unfortunately, I was also an idiot and called the vet for a phone consult the day BEFORE I signed up for insurance, thinking a consult wouldn't go on his records. And, when I got the records from the vet, the consult is on the records.

PetPaws has a 10(?) day window between signup and first claim. The question is, if I go in to have Pumpkin looked at now, before the end of the waiting period are they going to conclude it's a pre-existing condition, even though it was never formally diagnosed by a doctor? Am I better off letting the waiting period subside (it's only another week) and hoping they cover it (since it was just a one day 'miss')?

He will need to be seen at one point, after a week of on leash, no running and mostly level walking has not resolved the symptoms. It's really a question if waiting another week increases my chance of getting this covered by insurance. I would just hate for anything related to his left leg never be covered because of 1 stupid day.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
It's not about when it's diagnosed. It's about when the symptoms start (i.e., the condition manifests). It's likely to be pre-existing whether you wait or not.

If you wait the vet will ask, "When did the limp start?" You're not a fraudster and don't want to commit insurance fraud (a felony in most states), esp. having already posted the truth here. So you'll tell the truth. The vet will write that down. The vet's notes will be faxed to the insurance company upon request as part of getting the dog's record. And they'll see it started during the waiting period.

OTOH, I think it's a VERY good idea to have the vet do a complete exam within a month of starting a new insurance policy in order to make an accurate record for the insurance company that the dog is healthy--I actually told my vet what the exam was for and why, and I asked him to make a patient record of findings with that in mind. He totally understood and had clear notes for each part of the exam that the findings were normal so that when we had our first claim, there was no argument about pre-existing conditions on that dog.It was a $50 exam fee that was money well spent, as he included an ortho exam that made it clear that the hips had normal range of motion with no evidence of pain or limitations in gait. When we got a diagnosis of HD a year and a half later, the hips were covered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, that is what I was thinking, symptoms v. diagnosis. Oh well.

Thanks for the note on the exam. He had his 4 month just before Christmas, and everything was normal (and written in such a way I could understand). So I would think the insurance company would understand. But good guidance on helping them understand what the data will be used for.

Note to self (and others). Get pet insurance the day olde fuzz face comes home. The amount of $$ I spent on giardia and bloat, out of pocket, would have covered the first year's out of pocket and premiums. Live and learn.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
It's sort of like getting car insurance after you wreck your car. Maybe no one saw the wreck, maybe no one else saw the car, maybe you haven't filed an accident report --- but the insurance company isn't going to pay repairs on that wreck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. Just didn't know if dog insurance maybe had a bit more leeway than human or toy insurance. Guess not. Thanks..he's headed in tomorrow to get his leg checked out :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts