German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my little Shelby (one year old now) for a run yesterday. I ride my mountain bike and she trots along and then we do a few short bursts of running. Anyway, she started limping right as we got home and wouldn't let me look at her paw. Finally today while she was sleeping, I looked at it with a flashlight and it looks like there is about a 1/4 circle of pad "skin" that is gone. Looks kinda like a blister that has had the blister part torn off exposing the tender skin. She is not whimpering, just favoring her left foot a bit. Not sure what i can do to make it better or just wait it out. Anything I try to put on it I am sure she will chew/lick off.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had that happen with Neb while we were backpacking (edit: except all his feet. Luc was tough enough to walk through water and then on ice, Neb's feet weren't
....the only trip I've ever left the booties at home - since I never use them. Sheesh, then I need them).

I covered it up with duct tape (I use it for cuts, blisters, sprains myself....very all purpose) on the way out on the trail.

Once we home I just kept Neb on grass for a few days and let things heal. Let him do what he wanted in the yard but we didn't go for walks for about 4 days until I knew everything was okay. I'd just keep an eye on it and keep her on soft surfaces.

I'm assuming it looks clean - if she's going to be somewhere with a lot of dirt (say your yard doesn't have a lot of grass) than I'd put a bootie on it for now.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Wolfie has had that exact same thing happen to him last week. I actually tried two things alternately several times a day. One is the Rejuva Spray from Holistic Animal Care -- I like this one because it's quick and quite fast drying, especially if you have a fidgety one. The other thing is called Tender Paw from Petco. That one actually goes on like a thick coating and it seems to stay on for quite a while.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
superficial pad injuries seem to heal quicly-would just bsuggest a quick coat of vaseline before going out if yard is muddy

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
We've gone through this a couple of times with either one of our dogs, it happens - especially if you hike backwoods areas, play on difficult surfaces (like gravel) and the like.

If it's superficial, it usually heals pretty quickly. We generally try to clean it out, apply some EMT Gel (or Bacitracin) and usually wrap it or put on booties so it stays clean, especially if we're still out and need to hike back to the car or walk back to the house. Vet Wrap works great for our dogs, but they are pretty good about not bothering anything on their paws since they're used to booties.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts