German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Darcy,

I totally agree with Tracy (BlackGSD) do not let you vet talk you into spaying Kyah if she is coming in or going out.

If she follows the same schedule then I would look at look at late September early October.
I would also look into laser surgery if that is an option.

Val

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Now that's one we know! Since we spay or neuter anything that walks in our homes (explains my lack of visitors?) we are careful not to do it during or close after a heat.

Interestingly, the vet Kyah will be seeing is THE aflotoxin vet from the big 05-06 food recalls.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Say at the beginning of cycle?

Ziva started bleeding yesterday. Her previous owners (who were very diligent) thought her last heat ended about two weeks ago. Obviously not. I have her scheduled to be spayed on Tues. Why should I wait until she is done?
:confused:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Ziva started bleeding yesterday. Her previous owners (who were very diligent) thought her last heat ended about two weeks ago. Obviously not. I have her scheduled to be spayed on Tues. Why should I wait until she is done?
You are responding to a thread which is 2 years old - if you don't get the info you need you might want to start your own thread under Health and Wellness - Basic Care.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Swelling - your vet probably will ask you to wait when you call tomorrow. Until she's done follow the precautions needed. :)

Spaying a Dog in Heat

The spaying procedure can be performed while the dog is in heat, however, it will be more complex and the surgeon will have to be extra skilled to prevent complications. During the heat cycle, the dog's uterus and ovaries will be swollen, so the spaying surgery will be more complicated and the bleeding during surgery will be more intensive. The dog may lose a lot of blood and this can be fatal in some cases. For these reasons, many vets refuse to perform a spaying procedure when a dog is in heat. However, in theory, the procedure is possible during the heat period.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Split heat.....it happens!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am going to post here and see if I get any replies that way we can keep all "heat" questions together!
I am thinking of taking a female dog from someone who needs her rehomed HOWEVER she just went into heat! The guy is willing to keep her until she is done bleeding and maybe even a week or 2 after because he says that the second week they are usually crazy! What kind of crazy? I am glad he will keep her for the week while she bleeds cause that is just yucky to me! But I would rather she be under MY supervision during the time she could possibly get pregnant! OTOH if she is going to be nuts I would prefer not!
ALSO I was going to wait for a little bit before spaying her to give her a little longer to mature but what I just read about them possibly going in to heat every 3 months scares me! She is 8 months now I believe. Typically she SHOULD go into heat again in November if she reads all the info right! So I could wait until say September to spay her and she would be about a year.
I have never had a girl before so this is new to me! Any help would be great!

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Why should you wait... Because it's not a joke. Abdominal operations are potentially life threatening. No vet can guarantee that there wouldn't be any complications even in times when she's off heat. Just think, that you may cry being sorry for her.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts