German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

Kyah from the rescue section appears to be going into heat.

Long story short, she was not healthy enough to spay, and we were hoping she was not going to come into heat before she was at a weight to do so, but she's now at a good weight and apparently (the good news) healthy enough to go into heat.

What are the basics, and the precautions? Good cleaning recommendations for dog and home, any supplements suggested, changes in behavior-all examples welcomed. Let's pretend this is 5th grade health and the boys have been sent to the gym!

Length of time averages, amount of bleeding, good diapers, common sense things-you cannot insult our intelligence on this because I as her former foster have only had one dog coming out of her heat cycle, and Darcy as her new foster has had none.
I am talking basics-to any advanced information as well that would be helfpul.

They have no intact dogs at her house.

However, there are neighbor dogs that do roam and they have a chain link fence. Kyah has been around the block so to speak and has had a litter of puppies (one that we know of).

Does everyone pretty much leave their female in heat home (unless around highly trained dogs)?

I am thinking you would want to leash her even in the yard, because if they got near the fence, her recall is not going to be what it normally is. Or if a dog scaled the fence...

Oh my gosh.
Thanks for taking her this weekend, Darcy!

Thank all of you for any help! This dog just does not need any more headaches in her life.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
I only put bitches britches on them if I am going out in public, the Vet or training class. Most of my females were very clean and cleaned up after themselves.

Spotting can be any where from 7 to 20 days, she can be fertile past 28 days.

I don't change any thing food wise or supplement wise. Once ina while one of my females will go off her food for a day or so some time in the cycle.

She might be a little bitchy or touchy; she could be more clingy, she may show no signs of change in temperament. I would watch her around other bitches that is where the fighting problem is and then you have to watch out for any intact male.

Val

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
See Jean - Kyah loves you so much and wanted to show her appreciation for taking such good care of her, that she waited to go into heat until today - foster transition day

Thanks Val. I have no intact males in the house, and hoping none come visiting. I will keep Kyah on a leash when outside. I have zero experience with a female in heat - yikes - and away from my can be bitchy females. Fun , Fun.

Iam just so glad that her body is healthy enough to now go into heat - wish we could have had her spayed earlier, but not in the cards for Ms. Kyah.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Angel is in her second heat cycle, and one learns alot when going through the cycle (God Bless breeders its not an easy job!)
I am told after the bleeding stops they are MOST suceptable to getting pregnant... I think because YOU might let your guard down... SO BE CAREFUL!
I used a "Pupsters" washable doggie diapers.... I usually tossed in a reg panty liner (always) but again, I used it rarely ... Just if we had to go out... I did not take Angel to park, or any place she might be approached by other dogs.... but even a walk can cause trouble, so just be protective!
Angel will be spayed 8 weeks after she is done with this heat cycle (and I did it because of an inverted vulva)..... Last time... she went into false pregnancy, another FUN experience!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote: I will keep Kyah on a leash when outside
If you can keep her urine & pooh to one area of the yard that would be great, especially if you can hose that area down. Expect to take her out more frequently, don't be surprised if she squirts in the house to mark territory (tho she may not as she seems to be a rather polite shy dog).

Quote: there are neighbor dogs that do roam and they have a chain link fence.
Always do a yard check before you take her out to make sure there are no lurking intact boys that have climbed/jumped the fence or dug their way in - 2 experienced dogs can tie very quickly.

If you think your neighbors would be helpful, you could let them know the circumstances & ask for their help, OTOH dogs will travel miles to get to that lovely scented bitch.

Do you have a good AC that will come quickly to pick up dogs that do enter your yard? do you have a garage/kennel are where you can lock up any wannabedaddies while AC sends someone out (or drop them off at the AC yourself).

You might be lucky & no dogs will show up ... or you might wish for a big stick & some mace ... I like to be prepared either way

·
Registered
64 Posts
when my girl went into her first heat we used little boys underwear...with a panty liner for public. they come in three packs so i could wash and have clean ones always and way cheaper. put the tail through the pee-pee hole.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any other tips/thoughts? How long are they fertile?

Yes, it was VERY thoughtful of Kyah to wait until she moved to start her heat. I am wondering if some of the blood drops in her bed were not from her tail as I thought...boy do I feel silly.

Now in hindsight I am wishing we had spayed her the week before. Of course!

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Jean it is better for Kyah to wait until she isn't close to a heat cycle. So the week before would have had her hormone level pretty high. So assuming she is going to cycle every 6 months, I would spay her the end of July - Beginning of August at the earliest.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Questions from an ignorant foster mom: Hope I'm not hijacking this, just want to make sure that I understand the information here.

They go into heat every six months? It can last a month or more? They shouldn't be spayed until a month after they seem to finish being in heat?

I have an extremely underweight intact EPI female. We are trying to get the EPI under control and some weight back on her. I don't know how long she will be with me. I believe that she just finished a heat cycle before she came to me last week.

So I am frantically learning about intact females and EPI and anything else that I can..Thanks for your help

·
Registered
450 Posts
Also please remember that since dogs do not read our books, they may not follow any "typical" pattern for being in heat. Your best bet is to keep her off by herself and defineately away from any males for a MINIMUM of 3 weeks.
JMO.

julies'omom

·
Registered
524 Posts
Out of the 5 of them, not one of them behaves in the same way under the same circumstances. I 'read to them all' but they just don't seem to absorb it the same way I do.

Fortunately, my two males are neutered and I have a pretty sturdy dog run (magnum) to keep her in if I have her that long; am hoping to find her a forever home soon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the dogrun outside? With chain link openings? Because they can have at it through the fence, those animals!

Hopefully she will be healthy enough to be spayed before her heat. If the enzymes start to work, I think the recovery can be pretty dramatic.

Good job taking on another toughie!

·
Registered
524 Posts
See, you've taught me already! Yes it is outside; it is a wire mesh; the enzymes have made dramatic improvement. I have tried to contact her previous owner for the vet info who made the diagnosis on EPI; I don't even have any shot records for her so will take her to my vet this week and see what's up.

Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Yes.
Sirens sister. (Actually half sister, same sire, different dam) decided to only wait between 2 1/2 and 3 months between heats.

Siren has only been in heat once so far. (Started in mid Feb. and lasted 6 weeks!)
Cheyenne was in heat the first time AFTER Siren, and has already been in TWICE.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May!

I am wondering if she is so healthy now, like with us, we can be sickly and not have our periods for a while, then we get healthier and it seems to be a while where it's frequent.

Okay...so it's possible. Regardless of why, it's possible.

Gee, I bet Darcy will be glad to hear that, Val!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Bonus!

She has an appt for her Stage 2 Prosthetic fitting on Thursday (and a bit ironic, because she went into heat the day she had her Stage 1 fitting in May, not joking).

My gut says it is another heat, Toby (all boys are neutered) is acting smitten again and she is acting the same way she did in May. I guess her body is telling us she is healthy enough and at a good weight to be able to handle a spay.

She is also seeing Dr. G on 9/8 regarding scheduling a spay.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Don't let the vet talk you into spaying her while she is in heat. (Most vets are "spay happy". And will tell you all kinds of things to get you to do it ASAP.)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANIs the dogrun outside? With chain link openings? Because they can have at it through the fence, those animals!

Hopefully she will be healthy enough to be spayed before her heat. If the enzymes start to work, I think the recovery can be pretty dramatic.

Good job taking on another toughie!
YIKES!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts