German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does Kilo howl at sirens? Its a very low low howl, almost like a growl at the same time.
He also keeps up with the "tune" of the siren.
Is he trying to talk to it???
Does it hurt his ears?

Oh my gosh, its SOO CUTE though!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Brady used to do the same thing...ADORABLE the way their little lips pucker...

I find myself thinking of him everytime I hear a siren.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
There are many theories about why they howl at sirens, but the one I've heard is that it is a way of communicating and goes back to their wolf roots.

Wolves communicate over long distances by howling, so when a dog hears a siren, to him/her it is like hearing a wolf's howl from a distance and he/she responds by howling back.

I think it's cute too - Kaiser does it all the time and it sounds so eerie sometimes!!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: raysmomThere are many theories about why they howl at sirens, but the one I've heard is that it is a way of communicating and goes back to their wolf roots.

Wolves communicate over long distances by howling, so when a dog hears a siren, to him/her it is like hearing a wolf's howl from a distance and he/she responds by howling back.

I think it's cute too - Kaiser does it all the time and it sounds so eerie sometimes!!
Yes, this is what I was thinking. That he trying to answer it.
He doesnt EVER make that noise except for when he hears a siren.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Masi doesn't seem to do that ,,,yet...:))

My other gsd's were big time howlers,,my Dad would get them going when he would come to visit,,first kodi would start, then jake then sami who would yip like a coyote...What got them going , was when someone would sing "happy birthday"...oh my gosh, it was to funny,,kodi would lean back and go into a full blown howl,

It must of been the 'bad singing' voice;)))

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I often wondered if it wasn't kind of an instinctual response to the sound. The whole house full o' dogs howls at emergency sirens so the place is deafening when sirens go by. I usually join in too.

Sometimes they howl when I sing.... uh oh.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OAMasi doesn't seem to do that ,,,yet...:))

My other gsd's were big time howlers,,my Dad would get them going when he would come to visit,,first kodi would start, then jake then sami who would yip like a coyote...What got them going , was when someone would sing "happy birthday"...oh my gosh, it was to funny,,kodi would lean back and go into a full blown howl,

It must of been the 'bad singing' voice;)))
Keys howls, but its not the same as the "siren voice" he does.
I can say "I love you" & he copys the syllables & kinda howls, but its deff a distinctive (?) sound.

All of them were GSDs?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Lila howls at sirens, too.

The first time was a month ago on the six lane highway and the ambulance was trying to squeeze through rush hour traffic. It was so funny I almost wrecked the car. Then, waiting for it to happen again when an ambulance was going by she didn't do it. She did do it for another ambulance and then we noticed that the two ambulances she howled at had a distinctly different different type of siren than the other.

Can't wait for the next time. The puckered lips are worth the wait.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
LOL I started it with Otto. Morgan howls on command, rarely for a firetruck unless Otto starts. It's normal for 5 or 10 trucks to go by every day becuase we live about 80 feet from rt 1A - desensitized I guess.

Otto was pretty funny the first time I got him howling. It's something so primal, he didn't understand what he was doing. Looked all over like where did that noise come from

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Oh and the airraid siren test last fall, he was funny then too. He was in my car waiting for me to take my son into class then we were going for a walk. I came out of school to hear the airraid siren and Otto is sitting in the front seat of my car, nose out the window howling away.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady and Missy go off when they hear sirens

·
Registered
916 Posts
My three dogs all do that...and at trains, and any other dogs who are howling. They have beautiful harmony. The Brittany is the high pitch, the Corgi is the medium and Rebel is the low pitch. I usually laugh and laugh when they do it...we're a ways out in the country, so I can't imagine the neighbors are bothered much by it.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
My neighbors think me insane when we get a good family howl going on but I don't care!

·
Registered
30,389 Posts
How do you teach them to howl? I must sound like a sick cat when i do it because Jax just gives me a funny look like I'm an idiot and leaves the room. I wonder what I'm saying to her....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally Posted By: Jax08How do you teach them to howl? I must sound like a sick cat when i do it because Jax just gives me a funny look like I'm an idiot and leaves the room. I wonder what I'm saying to her....
You have to find something that makes them howl.
I guess. LOL
Kilo just knew how to do it, but doesnt howl at anything other than sirens

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Originally Posted By: Jax08How do you teach them to howl? I must sound like a sick cat when i do it because Jax just gives me a funny look like I'm an idiot and leaves the room. I wonder what I'm saying to her....
Humans have a different pitch when our necks aren't fully extended. Tilt your head back as far as you can and hold the note as long and as sad as you can!

Luther never would song dog for me either - same thing, look at me like I'm a fool, get up and leave. He's been gone 4 1/2 years now, I don't remember him ever howling.

Morgan has always sang with me since she was a pup. I just say Song Doggie and she's going. Otto won't ever start unless she does.

·
Registered
30,389 Posts
ok...I'll try that! When nobody else is home!!! LOL

Jax is a talker so she might. She's constantly grumbling at me to throw a toy.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally Posted By: Jax08ok...I'll try that! When nobody else is home!!! LOL

Jax is a talker so she might. She's constantly grumbling at me to throw a toy.
HEHEH!
Keys is vocal too! Hes ALWAYS making noise!
Its cute though!

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
When we get a train all ten of them howl. Good we only get one maybe two in a day.

Sirens they howl about too, but we rarely have them on our road, sometimes on the highway about a mile up the road.

It is awesome to hear the baby dogs develop their baby howls into big dog howls.

I wish they would howl me awake in the morning instead of that barking!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love to watch Lukas (GSD) try to imitate his "brother" Bart (beagle) howling. Lukas just stares at him and then raises his head and tries to curl his lips and let loose. He is not even close to a real howl but he sure gives it his best.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts