German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here ever built one for their dog? i wanna build one for mine but i need help with dimensions the ones at the pet stores seemed kinda small considering his potential size and the one he would grow into was way out of my budget.

any help would be appreciated:)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I read in a book if your building a dog house for a dog that is going to be out in cold weather, you should build it in proportion to his size so that her natural body heat will keep him warm. In other words just because you have a big dog, it doesn't mean you need a big dog house.

Anyhow, I'd say just do a search on the WWW ...I'm sure you'll come up with something that is just right for you. Or heckfire, all you have to do is get a couple of pressure treated 2" by 12" and 2" by 4"s in the longest lenth your friends pickup truck can haul and just use common sence.

Update: just read pressure tread wood is not good for your dog. I'd ask the Vet on that one !

Anyhow here is what I also just read: Size the house to fit the dog: It’s tempting to make a really roomy doghouse, but your dog won’t appreciate it. During cold months, your dog’s body heat keeps him or her warm. If the house is too big, the dog can’t generate enough heat to warm it. How big should a doghouse be? There’s no exact formula, but a good rule of thumb is to build it so your full-grown dog can walk in, turn around inside and stretch out completely.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't have a dog house....but there was a man selling some around Tractor Supply the other day. They were really cool looking. My hubby was checking them out. They were very expensive but hubby said he thought he could build one a lot cheaper.

Basically, it was a plywood box. BUT it has a red barn looking- siding on it. The roof was a steep roof with shingles. What was neat about it.....the door to the dog house led out into a huge fenced area that had a small barn door built on. It was just a heavy duty fence.....but it had matching red wood trim that went around the bottom and top.

Hard to explain....I wish I would have took a picture. I will sum it up by saying it looked like a miniature barn house....with a small fence around the property.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I'll bet no dog ever uses those dog houses.

It will probably easier and not much more money to buy an insulated dog house.

I have a friend who used to raise Rough Collies in Wauconda, Illinois. They have a thick coat and were outside dogs, but she had a doggie door into the garage and she had boxes filled with straw for them to lay on. When it got really cold out (you know what Chicago weather is like), she would let them sleep in the basement. You'll need to keep your dogs outside so that the build up a thick winter coat to keep them warm. Don't forget that you will have to feed more food to account for the extra calories that that lonely dog will burn trying to stay warm.

http://www.optionspluskennels.com/doghouses.htm

http://www.americas-pet-store.com/dog-palace-floor-heaters.html

·
Registered
616 Posts
My dogs house is 78' x 93' they have plenty of room to sleep.:D:p

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm building one this weekend.
It will be for a "most of the time" outdoors dog.
I started by building the run 4 ft wide by 14 ft long. Used 2x4's and fencing on top of 18x18 patio stones. Basically a chain link rectangle. Don't want my Gunner tearing up my backyard.

here is one of the links I am using for reference and ideas:
Free Dog House Plans - How to Build A Dog House
Most likely less than $100 in materials.

Here is another reference link for ya. gives some general dimesions by breed (as a guideline)
Insulated Dog House

Here is another reference link with a video and instructions.
How to Build a Custom Insulated Dog House • Ron Hazelton Online

I'll use pressure treated for the base and the roof. Basically anywhere the dog can't chew or make body contact with. The rest will be out of spruce and 3/4" plywood.
Our Canadian winters can get pretty cold so insulation is of the essence.

I'll do some reading on ceramic heaters and may even integrate the heating pad from the dogloo website as I have an outlet right next to the doghouse (You may not have that convenience but may be worth looking into).

It's my first time with an outdoor dog so I am doing everything I can to read about it and educate myself so when that cold hits, he's snug as a bug.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The tractor supply igloos are great. Its the same one they sell at Petsmart but cheaper and they are well made and will not promote fleas the way a wooden house will. Kato loves his.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The iglos are great, but they are also a pretty price.

I have the wooden ones, they have held up well, and I dont' have a problem with fleas. I've bought three of them at a local feed store. They were 70 bucks each. (Figuring my time and materials, I couldn't do it for that)

Ignore the pyr and goats.... LOL. The deminsions are 40inches deep, by 30 inches across the front, and 39 inches from bottom to peak of roof. I bought them large enough to fit the pyrs, the gsd really likes them too. They would be a little large for my other dogs, but they are a nice size for the large breeds. It's true, you don't want them too large, and you don't want them too drafty, if you live in a cold regon. I was looking at the other link with the fancy dog houses, those would be great in a warm regon, where you would want all sorts of ventilation.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When it comes to a Pup, should the house be built to adult size, or is it suggested to build to pup size and then build a second one appropriate to the adult?

·
Registered
484 Posts
The iglos are great, but they are also a pretty price.

I have the wooden ones, they have held up well, and I dont' have a problem with fleas. I've bought three of them at a local feed store. They were 70 bucks each. (Figuring my time and materials, I couldn't do it for that)

Ignore the pyr and goats.... LOL. The deminsions are 40inches deep, by 30 inches across the front, and 39 inches from bottom to peak of roof. I bought them large enough to fit the pyrs, the gsd really likes them too. They would be a little large for my other dogs, but they are a nice size for the large breeds. It's true, you don't want them too large, and you don't want them too drafty, if you live in a cold regon. I was looking at the other link with the fancy dog houses, those would be great in a warm regon, where you would want all sorts of ventilation.
The igloo @TSC wasn't much more than that wooden house and much nicer imo. I've had both wooden and plastic houses and would never go back to wood.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
I see dog houses / crates / kennels on Craigslist all the time down here. If you haven't checked into that, I would do that first. It might be easier on your budget.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts