German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone carry health insurance on their dog? I'm considering it, but am curious how other people feel about it, and if they've had good experiences with certain companies.

Just wondering. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Hey there,
I took out Petplan insurance out on Bear last November and two months later he fractured his lower right canine. I had a good experience and was glad I had gotten it.
There have several threads on the subject comparing different companies, you should check them out!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
my dog just got diagnosed with a brain tumor, I wish I had insurance. But then again, I don't know if they would cover the diagnostic fees....I have heard all sorts of stories about the pet insurance business....I would read all the fine print before getting it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I got Pet-Plan for my puppy Havoc. I wish I had had it for Kaos. I bet he's cost around 10 grand in medical bills counting meds since he was a pup. The biggest chunk was over $3000 for stem cell for his hips that didn't work. He's almost 10 now his hips are gone. He's now on pred. and tramadol. It would cost me over $12,000 for two hip replacements (if they could even do it. looks like he has some nerve damage in his back also) from the University of Penn which I can't come up with. I feel really guilty seeing him like he is and not being able to help. I won't ever put him to sleep if possible. My last GS Genesis had DM so I know what its like dealing with a GS that can't walk.......

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We use Petplan

Pet Assure

together and I love the combo! pet assure is cheap and we already got discounts on services that petplan does not apply to. Even nail trimming. =) petplan can't be used on office visits or neuter, but pet assure will discount it 25%. so it's a good combo we love it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I use Truepanion it is great best customer service ever my previous dog got stung by a bee and was allergic they covered 90% of the claim and they were very fast

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have a nice credit line with Care Credit. I don't pay monthly premiums but I have the comfort of knowing that Lisl will be provided for if she gets sick or injured.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just signed up with Petplan, luckily haven't had a claim yet knock on wood! I found an article on line from the Seattle Times that provided some great information. (I'd post link but there's a very sad limit to my computer skills! Google "pet insurance reviews" and look for "seattletimes" article if you're interested.)

·
Registered
423 Posts
We use Petplan

Pet Assure

together and I love the combo! pet assure is cheap and we already got discounts on services that petplan does not apply to. Even nail trimming. =) petplan can't be used on office visits or neuter, but pet assure will discount it 25%. so it's a good combo we love it.

Never looked into Pet Assure. Wish I had before to combine with Pet Plan. Think I'll get that. It will cost me $149 for both dogs and my Vet is a member.....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Never looked into Pet Assure. Wish I had before to combine with Pet Plan. Think I'll get that. It will cost me $149 for both dogs and my Vet is a member.....
I called my vet before I got it. They told me that they cant discount labs and medication, but most inhouse services are covered. We had to get 3rd set puppy shots + nail trim exam etc and it was 25% off. So I paid $99 for petassure for the year and it already saved me $20 the first month. I know the biggest saving will come from surgery. we will need a pexy/neuter combo so if it cost 1k than thats down to 750 with 25%. Pretty good =)

Petplan is for bigger things since we have the $200 deductible per emergency or illness. So far we have not used it, but have it just incase.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I called my vet before I got it. They told me that they cant discount labs and medication, but most inhouse services are covered. We had to get 3rd set puppy shots + nail trim exam etc and it was 25% off. So I paid $99 for petassure for the year and it already saved me $20 the first month. I know the biggest saving will come from surgery. we will need a pexy/neuter combo so if it cost 1k than thats down to 750 with 25%. Pretty good =)

Petplan is for bigger things since we have the $200 deductible per emergency or illness. So far we have not used it, but have it just incase.

Thanx much for the info. Pretty sure I will at least break even getting the pet assure. Most likely will save more then the cost. Even though it didn't help I banked some stem cells. Will most likely have them shot into Kaos hips shortly just to try. That would probably cost around $500 so the savings almost pays the cost of the plan in one visit. Then my puppy Havoc has a couple more visits and Kaos I know will be in again.....

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
We use Petplan

Pet Assure

Your spamming for that spammer, you have taken over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts