German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 year old gsd has not touched food except for a can of ID in 8 days- or since we took a two day car to Connecticut for the summer- he has gone a few days before but nothing like this- he will not eat steak or chicken. If you put food in front of him he walks away.
Any ideas or similar experiences?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
8 days? Has the dog seen a veterinarian?

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Vet for sure. Obstruction, growth, Intussusception of the Intestines in Dogs, if he's had previous gut surgeries, adhesions, issues with a tooth that has abscessed, many other thoughts come to mind, nothing good, nothing that doesn't require a full exam, bloodwork, xrays, etc.

If he's on any medications - daily, monthly, otherwise, be sure to report those as well as supplements and natural remedies, too.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Absolutely get him to a vet now!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would have been at the vet 7 days ago. Please get him there as soon as possible. Is he drinking water?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
maybe you typed the wrong number. you don't mean 8 days.
nobody would abuse a dog like that by watching it not eat
for 8 days and if you did stand by and watch your dog not
eat for 8 days and you didn't go to the Vet when you post again
lie and say you meant to type in 2 days. go to an E-Vet immediately.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I also hope 8 days was a typo.

CT is awful for ticks right now. Could be any one number of things. I'm sure he's showing other symptoms of something.

Everyone on this board is going to say vet now & they are right.

Please update your thread. We will all worry about your boy.

·
Premium Member
11,266 Posts
Jean voiced my thoughts -

Is he drinking tho? This is the showline male? The Remo dog?? Does he have other health problems?

I would see a vet with him ASAP ....

Lee

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Is he really not eating?

Or just not eating his meal at mealtime.

Cause if he's eating any chicken/liver/treats then he may just be off his food a bit due to the hot weather (or some other reason).

So I'd work on treating him like a picky eater for a bit and use the hints/tips from ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/162644-pup-doesnt-want-eat-picky-eater.html

If he's really really not eating ANYTHING, for 8 days, then this is a major emergency! Vet Vet Vet Vet!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He has eaten 2 cans of science diet id and has had bms. He is acting just fine, actually normal, and will eat his baloney treats at lunch time with my other 2 gsds. I thought at first he was stressed from the 2 day car ride from florida to Ct. and he has done this for a few days before- a VERY picky eater- but this sets a record.
If you put the food in front of him he will walk away from it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He is also drinking his water fine. When we went thru this before you could put a hamburger in front of him and he would not touch it.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
play it safe. go to the Vet.

He has eaten 2 cans of science diet id and has had bms. He is acting just fine, actually normal, and will eat his baloney treats at lunch time with my other 2 gsds. I thought at first he was stressed from the 2 day car ride from florida to Ct. and he has done this for a few days before- a VERY picky eater- but this sets a record.
He is also drinking his water fine. When we went thru this before you could put a hamburger in front of him and he would not touch it.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I had a GSD that was a picky eater and she went 5 days not eating her food and was losing weight and it was ....

normal for her.

This was in the first year I had her and I listened to everyone that said 'be strong, don't cave, if she is hungry she will eat her meal at mealtime'.

As soon as I STOPPED listening to everyone else (and thank goodness my vet was great and knew of other GSD's that were picky eaters) and decided that my dog getting some food into her was more important than a power struggle with me having to win (and her continue to lose weight) by ONLY feeding her normal kibble............ then she started to eat.

If you have ANY doubts this is a medical issue, than get her to the vet.

Otherwise, please go to this link ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/feeding-our-puppy/162644-pup-doesnt-want-eat-picky-eater.html where there are great hints/tips to get our pups to eat and keep their weight on. You are not alone. :wub:

·
Registered
423 Posts

If you fed him just his baloney treats now how much would he eat?? Try that. If he keeps scarfing them down he's just a picky eater. If not get him to a vet.....

My last GSD Kaos was a picky eater. One time my vet said he should be over 90 pounds (he was 80-81 plus minus a pound or two). Forget the details and what my Vet wanted to put him on. But any way I told him he's just a picky eater. Next time I bring him in (a month or so) he will be over 90. Sure enough next trip he was 91. I just fed him stuff he loved. Cheese, turkey etc etc. I kept him around 90 for the rest of his time.....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would take the dog to the vet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts