German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, trying this again since my computer is not wanting to let me do much right now...

My GSD got a 3" long & deep cut (down to muscle but did not damage muscle) on her side Saturday, I patched it together and gave her antibiotics until Monday at which point I took her to a vet for stitches. She did #2 Monday night but has not gone since...

I don't think it is the antibiotics since Sat-Mon she was on them and had no issue, however Monday I did start boiling rice and chicken together and giving that to her rather than the dog food since it was easier to hide the pills in rather than forcing her to eat them as I had done Sat-Mon morning...

She eats and drinks like normal, I just don't have her out running about due to the stitches. She pees, but does not do #2.

I tried a luke warm bowl of milk a few hours ago and there has been no change.

Looking for any ideas...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Try 2 tables spoons of pumpkin. Make sure to get the one without the spices. So the only ingredient should be the pumpkin. This will help if she is constipated in anyway. You will see results within 12 hours. Then if nothing after that I would definitely consider the vet again.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I'll give that a try, my computer has started to cooperate a bit more and it looks like my idea to give her chicken and rice to hide the meds may be the cause since I read some where that rice can cause this issue. For today I've swapped back to dog food with some chicken mixed in, I'll do the same tomorrow as well as the pumpkin tomorrow afternoon if there has been no improvement.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Don't give her any more milk! That could cause diarrhea. You can give her a couple of tablespoons of plain, unsweetened yogurt with the plain canned pumpkin. Rice is very binding though. You might want to switch to sweet potato and be sure she is getting enough protein (you can also add an egg).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts